New Flyer XD60 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely understood. I'm very aware of the B6 stats, not only I live in the immediate area of the B6, I see the crowds.

But if you put artics on that line be prepared for lost units. I believe the B6 has over 100 units not too sure the exact #.

For right now, no artics for the B6, for the foreseeable future, POSSIBLY, but those units go down to about 80-85 if you put artics on the line.

As it is, the B6 has at least 111 runs (201-311), plus interlines from just about every other Ulmer Park line that have at least one trip on the B6, including the X27 and X28, except the B1 and B3.

The B6 should be running artics just based on the fact that it's on the Top 10 lines for ridership in the system. The B82 and Q58 are really on the border of whether or not artics are warranted.

As it is, the B6 has at least 111 runs (201-311), plus interlines from just about every other Ulmer Park line that have at least one trip on the B6, except the B1 and B3.

Where did you get Runs 309-311 from???? There has ALWAYS been 108 runs on the B6, less in the summertime.........

I dont care what no one say but an artic.cannot.make the same turns as all 40ft buses....ok perfect route....s52 an artic cannot turn from tompkins ave and hylan blvd....then it can't turn over by sand la and mcclean ave....it also can't turn by fingerboard RD by the construction....and 40ft can but not a 60ft...now the b74 a artic cannot make the uturn at stillwell ave...an 40ft can....turn from 33rd st to mermaid ave....I'm sorry to debate or make you feel wrong but as an average rider on those lines...I know that some buses struggle at those turns even with wide turns....and u can't put those stop here at red signal marks all over...

Okay, the stillwell Terminal CAN AND WILL turn a 60 foot bus BETTER than a 40 foot bus. I've driven in that terminal and even a 40 foot bus has problems making it, especially if a bus is parked wrong in there. Now, You may be an average rider, But I am an average DRIVER in that area and the same way a 40 footer can turn around in there, a 60 footer can as well, if not then BETTER than a 40 footer.

Ummmm whatever happened to just talking about the XD60? This is becoming a foaming thread and there are enough of them all over this site, why turn this into another one? Let's get back to talking about the XD60.

With that said, where is the XD60 now? Is it in Zerega?

I overheard these two B/Os on the B1 talking about the xd60 and they said that the xd60s seating wil be changed and have something different....and that 4710 will be the only xd60 to have the swinging doors while the rest have inward opening doors like the LFS LFSA...

#1 , Never Listen To Drivers " They Really Dont Know Anything , unless theyre into the hobby . Some drivers dont care " Just give me a bus and as long as it moves! This One Bus Driver Was Talking About How They're Going To Change The Lights Inside The Xd40's & How They're Gonna Put A Single Seat In That Bus. Some Drivers Don't know What theyre talking about. Now ......

With that being said ......

Can We All Wait Until The Bus Arrives At It's Depot For Service/Training Then We Will Know Where It's At ?

This appears to be the hardest concept for some....

yea I agree , they just can't wait, oh well what can you do?

Judging by all the post about the nonsense of where its going to be placed and how some artics cant be on certain routes. I would certainly have to agree with you on this front.

people saying these should go to bp/JFK/lag , it's not that serious for those line . They handle just fine with what they have now .

The B6 is in the Top 10 lines. Any line in that group should have artics, regardless of borough or depot...

Not necessarily.

What's the status of the XD60? When can we expect to see these buses in service?

4710 is now scheduled to go into service this week.

Yeah, this thread has gotten out of control... none of these other routes are even slated for artics. Can everyone please calm down on the foaming?

Talk about the bus itself, specs, and the assignments posted in the Fleet & Depots thread, please! Thank you.

I've read the past few posts here, and there are folks saying artics are needed on the B3, then some saying they need it on the B6; others disagreeing with both lines not having artics. So, let's get this out the way.

For the B3: the line is fine with 40 ft. bus operations - even during rush hours. The buses can get crowded though, but sometime these buses are running late, or even picking up double headways because your leader is running, or possibly missing. Who knows. But, bottom line is: the line doesn't need artics, whatsoever. Ridership doesn't even warrant it's use.

As for the B6: the line can definitely use artics at some point, especially when school opens next month. The line currently has 108 runs (starting from run 201 to 309), and then you have the interlines, mostly from the B36 & 74 runs. And let's also clear this up: an artic can make ANY turn a 40 ft. bus can operate, and even better with a shorter turning radius.

Get the facts straight people.

Its like this. I am so freaking sick and tired of hearing this "Arics cant go there" shit year over year over year. Im also getting tired of people,ralking about what they think they know. The ONLY artic that has a turning radius significantly greater than its 40 foot counterpoint is the LFSA, and this is because the front section of the bus is 40 feet itself.

Im getting sick of hearing this bullcrap over and over again. The only place 40 footers can go that artics cannot are the existing bust stops and some layover spots that are made for standard buses. Those would have to be changed.

If a B/O can navigate the wards island loop, they can make any turn anywhere...

I dont care what no one say but an artic.cannot.make the same turns as all 40ft buses....ok perfect route....s52 an artic cannot turn from tompkins ave and hylan blvd....then it can't turn over by sand la and mcclean ave....it also can't turn by fingerboard RD by the construction....and 40ft can but not a 60ft...now the b74 a artic cannot make the uturn at stillwell ave...an 40ft can....turn from 33rd st to mermaid ave....I'm sorry to debate or make you feel wrong but as an average rider on those lines...I know that some buses struggle at those turns even with wide turns....and u can't put those stop here at red signal marks all over...

As soon as you get behind the wheel of an artic, let me know. You do realize some driver struggle because they just cant drive all that well... As someone who has driven buses from every manufacture except Neoplan, I see it almost everyday in NYC. Some drivers dont have enough confidence in their own drivers. Then you have drivers like my boys Acela Express NovaRTSbus9145 who drive like they have been behind the wheel for decades....

Give either one of them and artic, and I guarantee they will get it wherever it needs to go.

#1 , Never Listen To Drivers " They Really Dont Know Anything , unless theyre into the hobby . Some drivers dont care " Just give me a bus and as long as it moves! This One Bus Driver Was Talking About How They're Going To Change The Lights Inside The Xd40's & How They're Gonna Put A Single Seat In That Bus. Some Drivers Don't know What theyre talking about. Now ......

With that being said ......

Can We All Wait Until The Bus Arrives At It's Depot For Service/Training Then We Will Know Where It's At ?

I spoke to a Supt. In the training dept. and the issues mentioned are items that the training dept. Wants changed for safety reasons. The swing out doors obstruct the r/s traffic mirror. They did receive from New Flyer a interior light kit to be installed and they are looking to change the seating arrangement. They also don't like the single flat l/s traffic mirror with out a convex. And I do know something and in the hobby. As of Friday night 2100hrs it is at Zerega, I saw it in person when picking up RTS from there to LGA after overhaul.

i never said where it should go i said i think the Q58 could use them after all mta doing depot overhauls and renovations so fresh pond could change.

as for bp/jfk as we know is scheduled for artic conversion so it will get them when its ready as for the bus we should just wait and see as ciiboy2 and caitsith said.

why is 4710 using the next gen style door operation?

i never said where it should go i said i think the Q58 could use them after all mta doing depot overhauls and renovations so fresh pond could change.

as for bp/jfk as we know is scheduled for artic conversion so it will get them when its ready as for the bus we should just wait and see as ciiboy2 and caitsith said.

why is 4710 using the next gen style door operation?

what do you mean bu next gen style door?

Archived