Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I was told I won't have a life the first few years (when I get the job). I said "I'm fine with that... At least my bills will be paid up and on time. And I'll be able to save a lot of money so when I do get a somewhat decent schedule and vacation time - I'll be able to afford all the bells and whistles". Yep!!! I don't mind sacrificing my social life for a bit!!

That's why while your in school car enjoy having weekends and holidays off as much as possible. You can kiss that goodbye when you are assigned to the crew office the next day after completing school car.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why while your in school car enjoy having weekends and holidays off as much as possible. You can kiss that goodbye when you are assigned to the crew office the next day after completing school car.

Thats def true. I know when training is done I def wanna work some RDOs. You can bank those OT hours for AVAs. Which is def a huge plus.

Been hired since 2001... ;););););)

This guys slick over here haha

Agree with you 100%. I plan to work as many RDO's as my body will allow the first few years. Not as if I'm a party animal right now. Rather make $$$ than sit on my behind at home. Haha!

I would strongly advise that you not work too many RDO's while your on probation. Take my advice. & working a holiday plus an RDO in one pay period is bad news if you have no dependents.

Edited by Dan05979

Those people that work at the MTA employment center are not the most organized group of individuals. I called the 1-347-643-8229 # last week and spoke to some lady that answered the phone. She told me their up to list # 295. Then I called this week and another lady answered the phone and said she doesn't know. Then, I called yesterday and some guy answered the phone and said they are up to list # 205. Can somebody please tell me if they know what list # they are up to with the drug tests and the medical exam??????? I mean come on now, you have a ton of people anxiously waiting to be called for years. It's like the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing. Also, I asked in my last post and I will ask again. Are there any dates yet for the Jan, Feb, Mar, and April classes???? Someone in a previous post claimed there were going to be 2 classes each month from Jan-April. Can someone in school car please ask a TSS or Superintendent!!! THANK YOU

I would strongly advise that you not work too many RDO's while your on probation. Take my advice. & working a holiday plus an RDO in one pay period is bad news if you have no dependents.

Good advice!! No kids which means Uncle Sam has his hand in all of my pockets including my purse! Hahaha!

Does anyone here know if diabetes will automatically disqualify one from the medical? Please advise, any help would be greatly appreciated! I also want to put out there that I am between list #'s 325-335 and haven't received any call or correspondence from either MTA or DCAS. Please let me know if anyone is facing a similar situation..

the way it was explained to me, you can bank the overtime as "overtime offset", and really only have to work 40 hours a week, assuming you live within your means!

Just as AVAs are a pain to get off at times, I just opt to get any OT paid instead of saving it as OTO to get time off later.

Good advice!! No kids which means Uncle Sam has his hand in all of my pockets including my purse! Hahaha!

I learned this the hard way. When I saw my check I seriously wanted to cry. Unless you save the day then you will be fine. Also with the RDO's remember thats a day off for you & your working, And your on probation so if something happens your going to regret working on your day off.

I learned this the hard way. When I saw my check I seriously wanted to cry. Unless you save the day then you will be fine. Also with the RDO's remember thats a day off for you & your working, And your on probation so if something happens your going to regret working on your day off.

And Dan if you dont mind me asking how much of a pctage did they take out when you picked up holidays/OT?

Yea thats another good fact. Working RDOs during probation is a no no. The less time your on the job during probation the better. Plus the AVAs are awesome to have if you want a few days off if you can get em. Also if you have AVA hours left over you get a check at the end of the year. Which im sure will be taxed straight to hell.

Edited by MooseMania86

Also, you can only save UNSCHEDULED Overtime as OTO. If they assign you to an 11 hour job, you can't just get paid 8 hours and bank the other 3.

I worked an RDO once in a while when I was on probation, but that was always voluntary when I had nothing better to do that weekend. Some of you are nuts and sign up for RDOs on a weekly basis right out of schoolcar. Just because you are working an RDO doesn't mean you are going to be left alone - your name is still going to be highlighted as probationary and the TSS's are still going to chase you down. In fact it seems like I got evaluated more on my RDO than during my regular work week!

Those people that work at the MTA employment center are not the most organized group of individuals. I called the 1-347-643-8229 # last week and spoke to some lady that answered the phone. She told me their up to list # 295. Then I called this week and another lady answered the phone and said she doesn't know. Then, I called yesterday and some guy answered the phone and said they are up to list # 205. Can somebody please tell me if they know what list # they are up to with the drug tests and the medical exam??????? I mean come on now, you have a ton of people anxiously waiting to be called for years. It's like the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing. Also, I asked in my last post and I will ask again. Are there any dates yet for the Jan, Feb, Mar, and April classes???? Someone in a previous post claimed there were going to be 2 classes each month from Jan-April. Can someone in school car please ask a TSS or Superintendent!!! THANK YOU

Someone mentioned of classes Jan - April but not 2 classes a month, I believe it was 40 per class. Not sure if that is still the plan. Last I heard they were in the 3 Teens for Drug Test

Someone mentioned of classes Jan - April but not 2 classes a month, I believe it was 40 per class. Not sure if that is still the plan. Last I heard they were in the 3 Teens for Drug Test

Well, I'm in the 325-335 range and still haven't been notified..

Also, you can only save UNSCHEDULED Overtime as OTO. If they assign you to an 11 hour job, you can't just get paid 8 hours and bank the other 3.

are there really 11 hour jobs out there? i was under the impression that the (MTA) cut most, if not all of those after the budget cuts to kill the overtime

I'll give you guys the 401 on final processing. There are about 50 or so people there, but most are not for TO final processing. I think a lot of them are already transit workers getting testing. I think some of them are for conductor testing. Some are going for the drug test. They call your name and you have to go to another waiting area behind the blue wall. Then they call your name, you go take a computer questionaire. After the computer questionaire , the nurses call you and you go to another sitting area. You wait for nurses to call your name. You have to do a hearing test, Blood pressure, weight measurement, Eye test, ekg test and urine test. I think the urine test is for diabetes? They will call you four times for different things, 1.hearing 2. vision, wt , blood pressure 3. urine 4 ekg. Afterwords you go back to the second waiting area and wait for a doctor to call you. The doctor will call you, he'll go over your tests and what your put on the computer questionaire. If you put something down that's a flag, he'll ask you more questions on it. If you pass everything, then I guess you go on to the next step filling out paperwork and getting sworn in. If not, then you're put on medical hold :(

Edited by Dahon5