FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

You have many more people in NYC this week for the game, and people are going all over the place at all hours of the night.  I do think this is one time you do extend the (3) to SF even if only to make it easier for tourists to get around (something if I were at the NFL I would pay for knowing it would make it easier for people in town for all the events this week to get around).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have many more people in NYC this week for the game, and people are going all over the place at all hours of the night. I do think this is one time you do extend the (3) to SF even if only to make it easier for tourists to get around (something if I were at the NFL I would pay for knowing it would make it easier for people in town for all the events this week to get around).

It's a nice thought but no tourists are traveling in frigid nights at 4am, the increase in demand from the Super Bowl is simply not that great, and South Ferry is not exactly a tourist destination in the way that, let's say, Times Square or the WTC on the IND is.

Subway time claims it's to South Ferry.i know it's not a big deal.But if it did terminate at Chambers it would affect (2) train traffic.

Trains were terminating at Chambers St as mentioned in the G.O. The ATS system (and therefore the countdown clocks, SubwayTime, etc) have a bit of trouble distinguishing between termini and light runs. This also occurs when the (4) is split at 125 St. Trains from Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan are listed as terminating at 3 Av-138 St because that's where they go to layup and reverse back to Manhattan.

It's a nice thought but no tourists are traveling in frigid nights at 4am, the increase in demand from the Super Bowl is simply not that great, and South Ferry is not exactly a tourist destination in the way that, let's say, Times Square or the WTC on the IND is.

True, but you do have a lot of hotels in lower Manhattan, which to me makes it worthwhile.

This again is something if I were Godell I would actually PAY the (MTA) to do if only to show those in town for the game the NFL is trying to make it easier to travel   In this case, the (3) would join the (1) on the local for Super Bowl week (since the (3) would go to SF with the (1) and if necessary, the (2) goes express for the week.

True, but you do have a lot of hotels in lower Manhattan, which to me makes it worthwhile.

This again is something if I were Godell I would actually PAY the (MTA) to do if only to show those in town for the game the NFL is trying to make it easier to travel   In this case, the (3) would join the (1) on the local for Super Bowl week (since the (3) would go to SF with the (1) and if necessary, the (2) goes express for the week.

Why would they screw over the regular riders just to make it easier for tourists? If I lived on the Livonia El and wanted to get to 7th Avenue I would be fuming if my service was cut just for tourists, even if I got the (4) in exchange.

South Ferry Loop has capacity with the (1) by itself. You'd have to end the (3) at Rector and turn it on the inner track. One stop past Chambers. It would make no sense. Wall Street (2)(3) is five short blocks away from Rector Street (1).

True, but you do have a lot of hotels in lower Manhattan, which to me makes it worthwhile.This again is something if I were Godell I would actually PAY the (MTA) to do if only to show those in town for the game the NFL is trying to make it easier to travel   In this case, the (3) would join the (1) on the local for Super Bowl week (since the (3) would go to SF with the (1) and if necessary, the (2) goes express for the week.
If you were Godell you would flush your money down the toilet? Somehow I don't it.And why do you want to rob late night commuters between Manhattan local stations and Bronx/Brooklyn 2 line stations of their one-seat rides?

Why would they screw over the regular riders just to make it easier for tourists? If I lived on the Livonia El and wanted to get to 7th Avenue I would be fuming if my service was cut just for tourists, even if I got the (4) in exchange. South Ferry Loop has capacity with the (1) by itself. You'd have to end the (3) at Rector and turn it on the inner track. One stop past Chambers. It would make no sense. Wall Street (2)(3) is five short blocks away from Rector Street (1).
He's referring to late night service. (And the 7th Avenue line can't reach the inner loop.)

Trains were terminating at Chambers St as mentioned in the G.O. The ATS system (and therefore the countdown clocks, SubwayTime, etc) have a bit of trouble distinguishing between termini and light runs. This also occurs when the (4) is split at 125 St. Trains from Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan are listed as terminating at 3 Av-138 St because that's where they go to layup and reverse back to Manhattan.

Is that why the Yankees Low-v would say 167 St when it really only went to 161?

He's referring to late night service. (And the 7th Avenue line can't reach the inner loop.)

Exactly!!  I was referring specifically to late-night service when the (3) does not run to Brooklyn anyway.  This would simply have been an extension of the (3) to South Ferry during the LATE NIGHT hours during Super Bowl week to accommodate tourists who have hotels in lower Manhattan. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What's a third rail defect?

In Maintenance the Track is divided into 3 sections.

The two running rails the train rides on is handled by Track dept.

The 3rd Rail or Contact Rail as it's also known is handled by 3rd Rail Ops.

Then the Signal system handled by Signal dept.

A 3rd Rail defect can be when the rail is now to high or two low in alignment with the two other running rails. The Trains shoe will not contact it properly causing a poor supply of power to the train. It also causes un-even and pre-mature wear on the 3rd Rail.

A defect could also be that the 3rd Rail is now to close to or to far away from the two Running rails which is more of a concern then height. Too far and the Train shoe can fall from the top of the 3rd Rail to the side and push the 3rd Rail over when the rails come back into gauge with each other. To close and the Train shoe can extend past the Rail and hit the brackets that hold the 3rd Rail boards up.

The you also have the boards over the 3rd Rail. You may have a split or broken one that needs replacing. A loose Bracket or some bolts missing. Maybe a broken bracket or one that's not secured properly, etc.

A 3rd Rail defect can be when the rail is now to high or two low in alignment with the two other running rails. The Trains shoe will not contact it properly causing a poor supply of power to the train. It also causes un-even and pre-mature wear on the 3rd Rail.

A defect could also be that the 3rd Rail is now to close to or to far away from the two Running rails which is more of a concern then height. Too far and the Train shoe can fall from the top of the 3rd Rail to the side and push the 3rd Rail over when the rails come back into gauge with each other. To close and the Train shoe can extend past the Rail and hit the brackets that hold the 3rd Rail boards up.

The you also have the boards over the 3rd Rail. You may have a split or broken one that needs replacing. A loose Bracket or some bolts missing. Maybe a broken bracket or one that's not secured properly, etc.

Thanks! I was wondering what that was...

I forgot, Also there are the Insulators under the 3rd Rail.

The older style are porcelain and the newer ones are Fiberglass. Either way they both begin to break down and become porous absorbing water eventually going to ground.  They also need replacing.

Not to forget (again) the debris the train blows against the brackets and insulators that build up. If the Train's shoe arcs along the 3rd Rail it could ignite a debris fire.

i think it a shame that the Mta didn't reschedule all the fastback that was cancel because of the inclement weather. The whole month of April was empty and they could use their chance here. 

I agree that they could've used this month for that. Unless, there's something we don't know.