FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

There would be two Kings Highway stations, and two Avenue U stations. I'm not even sure the R160 trains have a program for that. It’s probably not a good idea due to the possible confusion and the long explanations to the passengers needed to clear the confusion. That alone would screw up the (N)’s on-time performance. It’s best to leave the problem isolated to the (Q) and (B) rather than spread it to the other routes.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I went through this last week - not too bad (I usually don't do late nights.)

Going from Manhattan, I can attest that it was pleasant to skip getting off at Atlantic, and instead heading to Franklin Ave, getting on the shuttle, and heading over to Prospect Park from there. Can anyone speak to the reliability / how pleasant the shuttle bus was? I think they'd do better next time cancelling the shuttle, and just having everyone use the number trains to Franklin. Thoughts?

And, for those in Brighton, it probably would be easier for them to have the N trains extended to Brighton Beach for the few nights. Just Brighton - so, Coney, West 8th, Ocean Parkway, Brighton Beach, done. 

Let's talk about a line with similar structure - the F line in Brooklyn goes above and below grade, and has limited weeknight closure potential. One that does exist, and this will make it easy, is between Church Ave and 7th Ave. The F train, because of how the tracks are on different levels, will be able to run local from Coney to Ditmas. After Ditmas, it can slip onto the express tracks, stop at Church, skip Fort Hamilton and Prospect Park, stop at 7th Ave, and skip 4 Ave 9th street, finally crossing back on to the local at Smith-9th.

You'd skip a bunch of important stops (4th Avenue is important for R-line connection,) but at least the F line wouldn't have to run in 2 sections. How feasible is this plan, and will the MTA do it next year?

• 1 month later...

New fastrack posted:

On week of Sept 14 and 21st. No (F) between Briarwood and Jamaica 179th street. (shuttle bus alternative).

On week of Sept 28th and Nov 2nd No (E) between Jamaica Center and Union Turnpike. (shuttle bus alternative). * Not sure if the (E) will be rerouted to the (F) after Union Turnpike. Usually they do that when there is work after Union Turnpike.

Nov 9th and 16th. Upper West Side fastrack. (A) doesn't operate north of 59th street, (D) runs 2 sections, and (B)(C) ends early.

Agreed. Jamaica Center can handle 12 trains an hour with the combined (E) and (F) during the Hillside Avenue weekend shutdown. This will also allow both lines to swap trains if they come out of place (just like Flatbush Avenue, Ditmars Boulevard and even 207th Street). During rush hours, the Jamaica Center always handles 12 trains an hour with the (E) alone.

Edited by RollOver

I got the feeling that the (F) might go to Jamaica Center since it is late night and Jamaica Center can handle the amount of trains. Or just stop there. They do turn the (E) at 179th at weekends when there is work being done @ Jamaica Center

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I just noticed they're doing FASTRACK the week of August 24th on the (1)(2) and (3) lines, yet on the 24th there's a wrestling event scheduled at Barclays...

Although, if the (5) is going to run through the night in Brooklyn I guess using the numbered trains in Brooklyn won't be that terrible, right?

I think that they might increase the (4)(5) service to help to make up for the (2)(3). Unless it is a major game with top stars they might cancel the night. They did cancel one night with the Lex Ave fasttrack when there was a sold out concert at Yankee Stadium.

It's 3 straight nights of WWE wrestling at Barclays (Sat 8/22-Mon 8/24)

Saturday's a B-show, Sunday's a PPV event, and Monday's a TV taping. First time I've ever seen them book any arena for 3 nights, so at the very least it sounds like a big deal.

One time Barclays had a concert on a day the (4) wasn't supposed to run at all; but that GO only got cancelled because a winter weather plan was called.

• 3 weeks later...

It's 3 straight nights of WWE wrestling at Barclays (Sat 8/22-Mon 8/24)

Saturday's a B-show, Sunday's a PPV event, and Monday's a TV taping. First time I've ever seen them book any arena for 3 nights, so at the very least it sounds like a big deal.

One time Barclays had a concert on a day the (4) wasn't supposed to run at all; but that GO only got cancelled because a winter weather plan was called.

Saturday I think is the taping of either "WWE AM Raw" that I believe still airs Saturday mornings on USA Network or syndicated programming while Monday is the LIVE WWE Raw (that normally airs then on USA Network) the day after the PPV event.  

I think that they might increase the (4)(5) service to help to make up for the (2)(3). Unless it is a major game with top stars they might cancel the night. They did cancel one night with the Lex Ave fasttrack when there was a sold out concert at Yankee Stadium.

That was I believe Madonna at Yankee Stadium three years ago.  They might have let that G.O. go as planned EXCEPT that night ALSO was originally supposed to be the opening night for the Giants in The Meadowlands after they won the Super Bowl the preceeding January (the Super Bowl champs open the following season at home in the Thursday night game, that game in 2012 wound up being played a day earlier due to the Democratic Convention) and at the time the last night of that FASTTRACK was cancelled, there likely were concerns of having people coming from the Madonna concert having to deal with those coming back from The Meadowlands (via buses to Port Authority) around Times Square, creating a possible safety condition there, especially since you ALSO had people coming back from the US Open in Flushing Meadows on top of that..

Edited by Wallyhorse

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2016 Fast track schedule has been released

Some things to nota about that schedule......

The (L) has two different fastracks that split the line between Bedford Avenue and Myrtle-Wyckoff, and Myrtle-Wyckoff and the junction. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Culver fastrack, wonder how the (G) can even run. I see it being split instead of running express.

Some things to nota about that schedule......

The (L) has two different fastracks that split the line between Bedford Avenue and Myrtle-Wyckoff, and Myrtle-Wyckoff and the junction. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Culver fastrack, wonder how the (G) can even run. I see it being split instead of running express.

The (L) has joined the Fast track bandwagon

Lol. True. About the (G), they should have it terminated at Hoyt-Schemerhorn. I'm sad that they don't have the (F) Fastrack to Jamaica Center. It needs to happen again.