FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What corridors will have FasTrack in 2014? Possibly QBL East of Roosevelt? The tiles at Union Toke are horrible! They are brown, several are missing. The ceiling paint is totally chipping away. It seriously needs to get repainted.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I wonder how a FasTrack East ("North") of Roosevelt would be handled.

Should be even easier, since it's just straight down Queens Blvd and Broadway for the buses.

It would require significantly more buses, since there's no alternative rail route for through riders aside from the LIRR. For shutdowns south of Roosevelt, through riders can use the 7 and there only needs to be enough bus service to handle the traffic to and from the intermediate stops.

The 2014 schedule is posted. For Jan:

Week of 1/6: (G) Bedford-Nostrand to Church.

Week of 1/13: (1) 96-Dyckman.

Week of 1/20: Queens Blvd (same as 2013)

Week of 1/27: All Brooklyn IRT service run express between Atlantic and Franklin in both directions.

A link is provided to the full schedule but it's broken, I'll update this post as soon as I can find it.

Edited by Amtrak7

The full list is posted. It's almost all repeats from the past 2 years. In addition to the 3 new ones above, there's an (A) outage from Hoyt to Bway Jct.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrackSchedule2014.htm

Week of...

1/6 Crosstown South

1/13 7th Av North

1/20 QBL West

1/27 IRT Brooklyn Local

2/3 Fulton St

2/10 Fulton St

2/24 Rutgers

3/7 Broadway

3/10 Sixth Av

3/24 7th Av North

(no FASTRACK's in April)

5/5 Fulton St

5/12 Crosstown South

5/19 Central Park West

6/2 Broadway

6/9 Rutgers

6/16 Lower 4th Av

6/23 Brooklyn IRT Local

7/21 QBL West

7/28 Central Park West

8/11 8th Avenue

9/8 Crosstown South

9/29 Lower 4th Av

10/27 Lexington Avenue (Midtown)

11/3 QBL West

11/10 Rutgers

11/17 Broadway

12/1 7th Avenue (Midtown)

Yikes!

I'm going for the (Q) Via 6th Ave (Broadway FASTRACK) in March or June 2014, heck yeah, I'll plan for it, got plenty of time, lol. Last time I did it with the camera it was really fun. That and Chinatown after hours. Was at it till 2AM.

The 6th Ave FASTRACK should be a fun late night railfanning adventure as well. Noted in my calender book.

The full list is posted. It's almost all repeats from the past 2 years. In addition to the 3 new ones above, there's an (A) outage from Hoyt to Bway Jct.

Maybe for the (A) outage between Hoyt and Broadway Junction they would consider the idea for that period of having the (C) or a special "Blue (J) " train operate between Broadway Junction (J) station via the (J) and (M) before/after West 4th and either 125, 145 or 168 (in the case of the (J), with a shuttle train operating between Essex and Chambers) and the (A) operating as an express between Hoyt and 125, 145 or 168.  That would allow those looking for Broadway Junction and points east of there from Manhattan to go directly to BJ and change trains there, cutting down on transfers and the need for shuttle buses.

Also, during this period I would have the Lefferts (A) or (S) run to Broadway Junction to eliminate the need to transfer to/from the Rockaway (A) at Euclid.

Thats NOT going to happen Wallyhorse.

Thhis is what the MTA will do for the Fulton St line FASTRACK:

Run shuttle buses between Hoyt St and Broadway Junction.

Passengers who are traveling to Manhattan from Broadway Junction will be advised to take the (L)(J).

Transfer between the  (A)(J)(L) at Broadway Junction, (A)(L) at 14 St, and the (A)(J) at Fulton St.

Those who need JFK are advised to take the (E)(J) instead.

Thats NOT going to happen Wallyhorse.

Thhis is what the MTA will do for the Fulton St line FASTRACK:

Run shuttle buses between Hoyt St and Broadway Junction.

Passengers who are traveling to Manhattan from Broadway Junction will be advised to take the (L)(J).

Transfer between the  (A)(J)(L) at Broadway Junction, (A)(L) at 14 St, and the (A)(J) at Fulton St.

Those who need JFK are advised to take the (E)(J) instead.

Yeah, I just think in this case it would have been better to have a (C) or special (J) train run between 168th and the Broadway Junction (J) platform.  Sure, it may confuse some people, but those who pay attention who do have to travel east of Broadway Junction from Manhattan would know to take the special service running via the (M) and then (J) after West 4th.  It also would cut down the need for shuttle buses between Hoyt and Broadway Junction since Manhattan riders looking for east of Bway Junction could make ONE transfer from the special to the (A) this way (as I would do it, the Lefferts Shuttle would be extended to Bway Junction and run express to/from Euclid for this).

Reminder: The goal of FASTRACK is to shut down a specific part of a line while affecting as few other lines as possible. It's also to spend as little money on providing alternate methods of transit as possible. Your (M) (or (J))to 168 St does the opposite of that. Your idea calls for the extension of the (M) to damn near its full length, but along Central Park West instead of Queens Blvd or extending the (J) well beyond its full length route and for what benefit? You claim it's to provide good service for (A) line riders east of Broadway-East New York, but if either of your ideas were implemented, riders would still have to transfer between the (A) and (J) at the Junction (and would have to transfer again if your (M) plan specifically was enacted). On the subject of the (J) option, what would serve the stations south of Delancey-Essex Sts? You can't shaft one part of the system at the "benefit" of another. Once again, it looks like you're trying to serve a very niche market by rearranging the subway when the easiest option is the one the MTA put forward, which is to run shuttle buses through the affected area.

Yeah, I just think in this case it would have been better to have a (C) or special (J) train run between 168th and the Broadway Junction (J) platform.  Sure, it may confuse some people, but those who pay attention who do have to travel east of Broadway Junction from Manhattan would know to take the special service running via the (M) and then (J) after West 4th.  It also would cut down the need for shuttle buses between Hoyt and Broadway Junction since Manhattan riders looking for east of Bway Junction could make ONE transfer from the special to the (A) this way (as I would do it, the Lefferts Shuttle would be extended to Bway Junction and run express to/from Euclid for this).

I will say this: The blue (J) idea wont fly but the extending of the Lefferts shuttle does make sense...