NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

Elmont Flexi (n2/8), Freeport Community Shuttle (n62) and Hicksville-Wantagh Community Shuttle (n73) Begins on  September 6th, not September 4th.

September 4th is restoration of n51, and schedule changes on n4/4X, n6/6X, n15, n20G/H, n21, n24, n25, n31/32, n35, n40/41, n47/48/49, n70/71/72.

For Elmont Flexi is new reservation bus with off route reservation bus stops called FLEXI Stops, where NICE Bus riders had to call 2-hours in advance to reserve bus to show up.

But the n51 doesn't have a weekend schedule, so it would be technically restored on September 6th. I'm still not sold on the Elmont Flexi though. Calling two hours in advance to reserve the bus to show up at an off route reservation FLEXI stop seems like an interesting concept, though I have a feeling it's going to be poorly executed the first few weeks.

Edited by NY1635

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the n51 doesn't have a weekend schedule, so it would be technically restored on September 6th. I'm still not sold on the Elmont Flexi though. Calling two hours in advance to reserve the bus to show up at an off route reservation FLEXI stop seems like an interesting concept, though I have a feeling it's going to be poorly executed the first few weeks.

September 5th was Labor Day, so it's Sept 6th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NICE doesn't know what to do with themselves these days since the MTA sold the old LIB to Nassau. Before they were NICE, the people of Nassau county refused to fork the funds that was to keep the services under the MTA for another 2-3 years. Because of no funds from LIB, 100 NYCT bus routes was cut. 1/4 of them since have been restored since LIB disbanded in 2012. People just got tired and said "let us find another way to get somewhere instead of taking the bus which is $2.75. Damn!

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, I took 3pm n62 Freeport Shuttle and it was EMPTY. I was only one and B/O told me n62 gets busy around 5pm.

I think PM trip should begin at 5:00pm.

Maybe n62 could be extended down to Woodcliff Av.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M9zT4ubt1z4kGFpofChFvAuqhAo&usp=sharing

The funny thing is if they try to do what you've suggested the LIBRU might come out complaining about service cuts

I never mention LIBRU. Woodcliff Av is long walk, and maybe it might benefit disable/seniors who takes NICE.

He's referring to having it run from 5PM to 6PM instead of 3PM to 6PM.

And in any case, I can't see your map, but the problem with sending the n62 down towards Nautical Mile is that it's more of a weekend/evening destination, whereas the n62 is (intended to be) a commuter-oriented route (technically the last train the connects with an n62 bus is the 5:03PM from Penn Station. If they really wanted to operate it as a commuter route, they would have it run until around 7:00PM or 7:30PM). I mean, the last 3-stop express to RVC, Baldwin, and Freeport leaves Penn at 6:10PM and arrives at 6:54PM, so they should at least try to connect with that. At least there's an n36 that makes that connection at 7PM. 

• 2 weeks later...

NICE Bus giving wrong detour information again for Chinese Lunar New Year Parade. Last and first stop is not Bowne St/Sanford Av. all n20G last and first stops were made at Sanford Av-41st Av!

16426155_10209731117687675_7841406563884

This video I took was 2016 Feb Lunar New Year Parade where it stated bus will make first stop at eastbound Sanford Av/Parosns Blvd, but it was wrong.

Edited by FamousNYLover

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at one of Pinepower's videos on the cuts and hearings, and there were some things that were not mentioned on the website (was it on purpose or not, IDK).

n27: On top of 60 minute headways throughout the day, weekend service would be eliminated

n80/81: It says a combined route, but essentially, the vans will run on the n80 route.

Additionally, NICE is planning to offset some able-ride costs by giving certain riders the option to take All-Island Taxi cabs (and have riders use a taxi voucher) instead of having able-ride vans pick-up riders.

The service changes will go into effect on April 9, 2017.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/vote-passes-to-eliminate-10-nice-bus-routes-cut-service-on-4-others-1.13136869

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I was looking at one of Pinepower's videos on the cuts and hearings, and there were some things that were not mentioned on the website (was it on purpose or not, IDK).

n27: On top of 60 minute headways throughout the day, weekend service would be eliminated

n80/81: It says a combined route, but essentially, the vans will run on the n80 route.

Additionally, NICE is planning to offset some able-ride costs by giving certain riders the option to take All-Island Taxi cabs (and have riders use a taxi voucher) instead of having able-ride vans pick-up riders.

The service changes will go into effect on April 9, 2017.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/vote-passes-to-eliminate-10-nice-bus-routes-cut-service-on-4-others-1.13136869

I can't help but feel that there is this connection with the taxi companies in the BTC (especially Sheldon Shrenkel) he looks like he couldn't care less about the bus riders. I went to one of the meetings today, this is the best line from Sheldon "You should continue the able ride experiment (using taxis) if it's cost neutral (with All Island Taxi). Only 3-4 of the committee members actually care about bus service

I can't help but feel that there is this connection with the taxi companies in the BTC (especially Sheldon Shrenkel) he looks like he couldn't care less about the bus riders. I went to one of the meetings today, this is the best line from Sheldon "You should continue the able ride experiment (using taxis) if it's cost neutral (with All Island Taxi). Only 3-4 of the committee members actually care about bus service

Too bad nobody like the cabs in Nassau. It's getting to the point that folks would prefer Uber operating in Nassau to All Island Taxi.

Taxi paratransit has been tried in several cities, including NYC. As far as I know, most have been successful in both saving the agency money and increasing rider convenience.

Ok. So for the first time in nearly...what?...years! No service from Babylon into Nassau County (in this case the N72).

This is pretty disturbing. No service in Bellmore (N45). I guess you can hop on the Babylon Branch to compensate for the N19 and N36. SMH!

Edited by The TransitMan

Ok. So for the first time in nearly...what?...years! No service from Babylon into Nassau County (in this case the N72).

This is pretty disturbing. No service in Bellmore (N45). I guess you can hop on the Babylon Branch to compensate for the N19 and N36. SMH!

There will be exactly as much service as Nassau County feels like paying for.

Technically, the S20 runs to Sunrise Mall in Nassau County (and obviously the Babylon Branch does as well)

In the SCT Proposals thread, we're discussing how SCT might want to compensate for the lack of n72 service. I was thinking of something involving restructuring the 1A, 2B, S25, and S31.

Technically, the S20 runs to Sunrise Mall in Nassau County (and obviously the Babylon Branch does as well)

In the SCT Proposals thread, we're discussing how SCT might want to compensate for the lack of n72 service. I was thinking of something involving restructuring the 1A, 2B, S25, and S31.

These proposals to compensate for the lack of n72 service east of Route 110 aren't going to work.  People in Nassau want a one seat ride to/from Babylon and just don't want to put up with transferring to another route to continue their travel because bus service out east is very unreliable.

Since they are keeping the n48 Quad why don't they extend that along Jerchio Tpk to Woodbury to compensate for the loss of n79

Because that would mean more money due to longer operating hours. NICE has to save as much service as possible now so that if/when future cuts happen, they aren't as drastic.

Out of all the service changes, the n79 IMO is the worst one, because there's no alternative except for the tiny portion between South Oyster Bay Road and Hicksville LIRR (which can also be walked). I already stated what should be done in order to maintain the n79. However, the n79 should be maintained, running every 60 minutes weekdays, 90 minutes on Saturdays, and if there is enough money left for additional service, have the bus run every 90 minutes on Sundays. You would have two buses on Weekdays, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday (weekday service would likely be interlined to reduce the amount of service hours actually needed).