Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does NICE ever repaint or re-wrap their buses because a lot of the Orion VII’s (2008-2010 units) look like they haven’t seen any type of exterior TLC since they were first wrapped. 

Even the MTA’s older 2006/2007 Orion VII HEV’s don’t look as bad as soon of the Orion’s NICE has on the road.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Does NICE ever repaint or re-wrap their buses because a lot of the Orion VII’s (2008-2010 units) look like they haven’t seen any type of exterior TLC since they were first wrapped. 

Even the MTA’s older 2006/2007 Orion VII HEV’s don’t look as bad as soon of the Orion’s NICE has on the road.

Well considering NICE has an extensive history of breakdowns, poor maintenance, and just overall bad service. It was expected for this to happen sadly. 

18 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

Well considering NICE has an extensive history of breakdowns, poor maintenance, and just overall bad service. It was expected for this to happen sadly. 

Mangano leaving was the best thing that could happen to NICE and overall it shows today. I just wish things didn’t have to go to hell before things got better.

After using the n4, n6, n20, n22, n24, n25, n32, n35, n40/41, and n49 at various times during this year, I haven’t experienced any missing buses, or a breakdown so I guess that is a good sign that things are changing. 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, B35 via Church said:

Bus from Jamaica (or Queens Village/Springfield av) running to Jones Beach....

Worth it (during pre-covid times), or nah?

From Jamaica, probably. From Queens Village, I doubt it. Partially because most people from the QV area can get to Jamaica or to an intermediate stop along a Jamaica-Jones Beach route (the reverse is not exactly easy depending from where in Jamaica one comes from). Also, Jamaica is more attractive because of the subway/LIRR connections. 

I would have the existing n88 operate to/from Mineola in order to meet the Main Line. Hempstead has lots of connections but Mineola also has the main line and a few other routes. Perhaps that's something NICE should have done post-2014, after they discontinued the n87 (and have a beach package for LIRR riders going to Mineola and Hempstead like they did for Hicksville and currently to/from Freeport). 

19 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

From Jamaica, probably. From Queens Village, I doubt it. Partially because most people from the QV area can get to Jamaica or to an intermediate stop along a Jamaica-Jones Beach route (the reverse is not exactly easy depending from where in Jamaica one comes from). Also, Jamaica is more attractive because of the subway/LIRR connections. 

I would have the existing n88 operate to/from Mineola in order to meet the Main Line. Hempstead has lots of connections but Mineola also has the main line and a few other routes. Perhaps that's something NICE should have done post-2014, after they discontinued the n87 (and have a beach package for LIRR riders going to Mineola and Hempstead like they did for Hicksville and currently to/from Freeport). 

As far as Jamaica vs. QV, I have no dog in the fight either way, as IDK how the old JB24 performed... My issue isn't [Jamaica vs. QV], nor [Hempstead vs. Mineola], it's really the need for two routes in general to have served the thing....

The old JB62 I'd have left alone; one shot from Freeport to the beach.... The JB50 I would've discontinued entirely; it was a relic of a former route operated by some private carrier that significantly lost its importance as time progressed....

If I absolutely had to create a 2nd route for service to JB, it would not be from Hicksville (like the former JB50) or LIRR Mineola.... I would target it more towards Nassau residents.... Something like a Westbury - JB route that would parallel parts of the n35 & the n43, before hitting the Meadowbrook... No diverting to RFM, HTC, or anything like that... Structure it similarly like Westchester's BL-91.... Something like this... Anyone coming from off the Main Line would have to ride out to/from LIRR Westbury... In turn, that station would get more LIRR service during the summer season to facilitate the idea.... Otherwise, just have everyone in Nassau County make their way to Freeport for sole Jones Beach service for all I care....

On 4/3/2021 at 1:10 AM, Future ENY OP said:

N4x- Super express in Queens..

Which means new stops are:

Archer/158

Parsons/Archer

Archer/Guy Brewer

Archer/168

Merrick/Liberty

Merrick/Linden

Merrick/Baisley

Merrick/Farmers

Merrick/Montauk- Shopping Center.

Merrick/Springfield

Merrick/230-Fran Lewis

Merrick/Hook Creek

.... To Valley Stream/Freeport.

n4x isn't super express. It's still regular with drop off westbound at Farmers Blvd and Nassau County pickup at Famrers Blvd.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As far as Jamaica vs. QV, I have no dog in the fight either way, as IDK how the old JB24 performed... My issue isn't [Jamaica vs. QV], nor [Hempstead vs. Mineola], it's really the need for two routes in general to have served the thing....

The old JB62 I'd have left alone; one shot from Freeport to the beach.... The JB50 I would've discontinued entirely; it was a relic of a former route operated by some private carrier that significantly lost its importance as time progressed....

If I absolutely had to create a 2nd route for service to JB, it would not be from Hicksville (like the former JB50) or LIRR Mineola.... I would target it more towards Nassau residents.... Something like a Westbury - JB route that would parallel parts of the n35 & the n43, before hitting the Meadowbrook... No diverting to RFM, HTC, or anything like that... Structure it similarly like Westchester's BL-91.... Something like this... Anyone coming from off the Main Line would have to ride out to/from LIRR Westbury... In turn, that station would get more LIRR service during the summer season to facilitate the idea.... Otherwise, just have everyone in Nassau County make their way to Freeport for sole Jones Beach service for all I care....

I think this years n88 is catered more towards Nassau residents, Freeport was primarily catered towards the NYC LIRR package riders 

HTC is the primary hub, so NICE probably figure that since most buses go to HTC anyways, people can always connect there from any direction in the county.

Great planning, however there are Nassau residents who wouldn't be caught dead at Hempstead (n15 fiasco) 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, B35 via Church said:

I don't have a problem with targeting Nassau residents, and I think that something like that should have been done a while ago, because I see potential for that. However, I'm not exactly sure that a service directly serving Westbury and Uniondale would get sufficient ridership. Deviating to RFM would be extra (I'll give you that), but I do think the service from Hempstead would catch on (and not just those transferring off of other routes either). Adding certain stops between Hempstead and Freeport could help increase ridership too. 

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I don't have a problem with targeting Nassau residents, and I think that something like that should have been done a while ago, because I see potential for that. However, I'm not exactly sure that a service directly serving Westbury and Uniondale would get sufficient ridership. Deviating to RFM would be extra (I'll give you that), but I do think the service from Hempstead would catch on (and not just those transferring off of other routes either). Adding certain stops between Hempstead and Freeport could help increase ridership too. 

My main point with that was, a secondary route of sorts would be better off than having had the old JB50/n87 as was.... That route was clearly secondary to the JB62 in terms of patronage....

Regardless, I'd still lean towards simply running one service from Freeport to the beach & have it be called a day... If the thing (n88) isn't going to make other stops within Hempstead, then I can't see Hempstead patrons in-particular really being gung-ho about the thing... You make that very last statement there like you're doubtful about it - Hell, I'd say it's mandatory for the route's further progression that it makes w/e stops b/w Hempstead & Freeport.... Basically, the whole HTC via Freeport point-to-point bit is something that simply sounds nice on paper & I can actually see NICE rescinding that extension at some point....

If it's not going to be a point-to-point from Freeport, then it should make more stops in Nassau County past Freeport - not just the one stop at HTC...

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

My main point with that was, a secondary route of sorts would be better off than having had the old JB50/n87 as was.... That route was clearly secondary to the JB62 in terms of patronage....

Regardless, I'd still lean towards simply running one service from Freeport to the beach & have it be called a day... If the thing (n88) isn't going to make other stops within Hempstead, then I can't see Hempstead patrons in-particular really being gung-ho about the thing... You make that very last statement there like you're doubtful about it - Hell, I'd say it's mandatory for the route's further progression that it makes w/e stops b/w Hempstead & Freeport.... Basically, the whole HTC via Freeport point-to-point bit is something that simply sounds nice on paper & I can actually see NICE rescinding that extension at some point....

If it's not going to be a point-to-point from Freeport, then it should make more stops in Nassau County past Freeport - not just the one stop at HTC...

I was thinking of some sort of limited-stop service (local service would be provided by the n40 and, to a lesser degree, the n43). All stops for this stretch would be transfer points (with my limited knowledge, it's the best I can do).

• 3 weeks later...

Knew I wasn't buggin.... I saw a bus #'d 2000 the other day (late this past week)....

Doing a quick search as I'm making this post, this YT-er apparently caught it operating on the n70, but I saw it along Hillside... Couldn't make out if it was a n22 or a n24, but I definitely saw the 'n' & the '2'.... shit looks sick.

4 hours ago, User said:

An n35 driver went the wrong way today leaving Roosevelt Field and followed n43 routing so they had to turn around in the NYU Langone Ambulatory Surgery Center parking lot on Zeckendorf Blvd.

I smell fresh meat.

45 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know why the county of Nassau continues to give TransDev the contract to operate NICE? They're maintenance is absolutely horrible to the point where buses keep breaking down every day (or catching on fire). 

Mostly because they are probably they are the lowest bidder.

Once NICE retired all the Orions including the 3Gs, I do hope the maintenance issue gets better, as those Orions were absolutely trashed during NICE's worst period (2012-2017)

How would you all rate NICE’s maintenance and service overall nowadays?

I never had a reason to be in Nassau County a few years back so I never experienced NICE at it’s worst, but I heard it was bad. I only started using NICE starting from September 2020 and so far my experience has been decent to my surprise. I haven’t experienced breakdowns and or missing runs, so it seems that they have gotten somewhat better compared to before. 

From what I recall breakdowns were a common thing even under Long Island Bus. I do certainly remember PinePower lol making his videos back then about how terrible LI Bus was. I know Nassau was being stingy back then so there was only so much the MTA could do.