Mattress Sparks Bizarre Bus Blaze As Six Cars Get Torched In Brooklyn.

KeystoneRegional

post-5097-0-89805200-1333739511_thumb.jpg

S53 bus runs over bedding on Verrazano Bridge, then gets torched

A twin-size mattress that ended up under an MTA bus is being blamed for sparking a bizarre Thursday night Brooklyn blaze that left the bus and six parked cars torched.

The S53 bus from Staten Island ran over the mattress just after 11 p.m. and dragged it across the Verrazano Bridge, a police source said.

Metal springs in the mattress apparently punctured the bus’ gas tank, setting the coach ablaze moments after the driver pulled over in Bay Ridge and evacuated passengers.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...5#ixzz1rGUdSyYe

post-5097-0-89805200-1333739511_thumb.jpg

Lock it, to prevent double posting, always refresh your browser to see if it's already posted, just a tip, ;-)!

First post: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/34285-mattress-sparks-bizarre-bus-blaze-as-six-cars-get-torched-in-brooklyn/

Edit 1: Looks like these are merged, nice!

Lock it, to prevent double posting, always refresh your browser to see if it's already posted, just a tip, ;-)!

First post: http://nyctransitfor...ed-in-brooklyn/

All I see from the link is this page... lol.

I thought these buses ran on diesel, which is nearly impossible to catch on fire?

But if you pierce the gas tank, the vehicle goes bye-bye.

All I see from the link is this page... lol.

But if you pierce the gas tank, the vehicle goes bye-bye.

They were merged, lol!

From someone's perspective on City Data, they said that the friction could've ignited gear oil and then ruptured the gas tank.

^ I remember something like this with an artic before, don't remember if it was KB or WF...

This stuff is ridiculous, people need to quit just throwing their junk in the road. That said, bus is still under full warranty, no?

The mattress excuse is a funny one because it takes a lot more to spark a fire with diesel fuel than it does with gasoline. It's just something they are saying right now because It's something that a majority of the public will believe right away. If the there was a fire caused by diesel fuel like they claim, the damage would not be centered over the engine compartment (that's not where the fuel tank is).

I'm just trying to understand how does one drive over a twin sized mattress and not see it???? :huh:

Well you can't exactly swerve to the other lanes on the bridge....plus he could've been behind whatever the mattress was on...

You make me sick.

I know I do, so answer the question.

Well you can't exactly swerve to the other lanes on the bridge....plus he could've been behind whatever the mattress was on...

I'm just trying to understand how it is that the mattress got under the bus in the first place. The whole thing is strange to me. From my understanding, the mattress was under the bus for quite some time and he didn't notice this?? Not trying to be a wise guy. I'm just saying that something that size isn't exactly easy to miss.

The mattress excuse is a funny one because it takes a lot more to spark a fire with diesel fuel than it does with gasoline. It's just something they are saying right now because It's something that a majority of the public will believe right away. If the there was a fire caused by diesel fuel like they claim, the damage would not be centered over the engine compartment (that's not where the fuel tank is).

Interesting point...

So it's not just me that thinks something is off about this whole mattress bit......

Agreed. I hear the ISL runs pretty hot for such a small engine...

II'm just trying to understand how it is that the mattress got under the bus in the first place. The whole thing is strange to me. From my understanding, the mattress was under the bus for quite some time and he didn't notice this?? Not trying to be a wise guy. I'm just saying that something that size isn't exactly easy to miss.

LEt me see, either:

1-The car that the mattress was on top of was probably in front of the bus. When the matress fell off, the LFS could not get out the way in time.

That and you can't just stop on the Verrazano bridge. Especially with passengers on board. You want to stop somewhere you can safetly evacuate them as well.

LEt me see, either:

1-The car that the mattress was on top of was probably in front of the bus. When the matress fell off, the LFS could not get out the way in time.

That and you can't just stop on the Verrazano bridge. Especially with passengers on board. You want to stop somewhere you can safetly evacuate them as well.

The problem is it is not clear to me where the mattress was and how it got lodged under the bus. I was under the impression that the mattress was in the street somewhere and the bus just rolled over it and dragged it about.

Apparently a mattress may not have been secured on top of a car and the Nova couldn't change lanes and just ran over the mattress thinking he could clear it. That's my hypothesis of the situation.

I'll have to speak to my friend out of Castleton on Monday.

I thought that the mattress was on McClean Avenue or Lily Pond Avenue, THEN dragged across the bridge.

A typical 1-800-Mattres bed piece...leave off the last S for S**t happens!

Archived