Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

The Q7 should stay where it is currently terminates, or be extended to JFK Airport. It doesn't need to be extended down to Green Acres Mall via Conduit Avenue. The Q85 already provides service along that street between Green Acres and Springfield Blvd. Conduit Avenue past Springfield doesn't need bus service.

Except that the purpose isn't really to provide coverage, but more to provide connectivity between areas. If you live in that whole Rosedale area, you have a hard time getting to areas on the other side of the Van Wyck. There might not necessarily be a ton of demand, but at least a basic amount of service should run to provide connectivity. Having a route along the Conduits west of Springfield Blvd is just a side benefit (I mean, it can't hurt to have it)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that the purpose isn't really to provide coverage, but more to provide connectivity between areas. If you live in that whole Rosedale area, you have a hard time getting to areas on the other side of the Van Wyck. There might not necessarily be a ton of demand, but at least a basic amount of service should run to provide connectivity. Having a route along the Conduits west of Springfield Blvd is just a side benefit (I mean, it can't hurt to have it)

If you want to give Rosedale residents a route that provides service on the other side of the Van Wyck, then have the route terminate IN Rosedale. The Q7 can stop at 243 Street and 147th Avenue via Guy Brewer/147thAve, or Conduit/243 Street. Or you can make it stop at the Rosedale LIRR Station. The Q7 doesn't need to go into Nassau.

Oh yeah another thing about the Q110 Q111 Q112 and Q113 is that they shouldnt all terminate at the same place. I was thinking maybe one can go to 165st terminal or maybe the 110 should terminate at Jamaica LIRR

Bad idea. People will get angry if you make the Q111, Q112, or Q1113 go to the 165th Terminal.

I admit i don't know Queens as well as say my old boro Brooklyn lol. With that said, I did work in Queens (Maspeth)in late 1990's and still have cousins in SE Queens(Springfield Gardens/Rosedale)so i have some knowledge of that boro bus service. So let me reply to couple of these proposals. Replies in red.

From me:

Q5: Limited-Stop Service on weekends (at least saturdays). Times from 11:00am-7:30pm.

"Agree." The Former "Dollar Vans" have taken over Merrick/Brewer Blvd and costed the (MTA) tens of thousands in lost fares.

I would also create "Limited Q5's for Green Acres (most during weekdays still go to Rosedale)and all on Saturdays to Green Acres.

Q17: Add LTD stop service on saturdays 9:00am-7:00pm

Since you already have the nearby "Q44" running limited 7 days a week well into the evening I doubt the "MTA" will agree to it.

Q25: 10-12 minute frequency increase on Saturdays from morning to evenings.

Q30: Add LTD Stop service on weekdays. Eastbound buses from 7:00am-9:00am. Southbound buses 2:30pm-5:00pm

Problem is the Q30 headways during rush hours is every 7-10 minutes not enough to 'qualify' for a limited.

Q36: Eliminate LTD Stop service. Yes, I still stand by this. While I agree the "Q36" does not need a limited"(I would instead had made the Q43 an 'limited' all day weekdays along Hillside)if it doing ok, I would just leave it alone.

Q42: Restore Saturday service. 45-60 minute headways. I doubt weekend service is returning on this line as the MTA will claim that several other bus lines are 'walking distance to most of the Q42 routing.

Q46: Add LTD stop stop service for PM from 3:30pm-6:30pm. I am surprised the Q46 is not an all day 'limited' weekdays including middays? So yes I agree 100% that limited Q46 should have 'express' service along Union Turnpike in both directions rush hours.

Q65: Same as Q25.

Q74: Restored for Rush Hours only from 7:00am-9:30am & 3:00pm-6:30am-I agree with that. It would help out the crushloaded Q64 for Queens Blvd subway (E)(F)(R) (M)/Queens College connection.

Q84: increased frequency to 8-10 Minutes for Rush Hours. No problem with that.

Replies in red.

As far as the Q6 and Q7 routes, Why? First, you have 3 routes already serving Terminal 4. From the direction the Q 7 comes from eastbound, you have the B15 and the A train. It doesnt need to serve the terminals. People work in the cargo area which is where the Q7 runs to. And the Q6 serves the postal facility. It got extended there for a reason. (its old terminal under GBL was FarmersBl and used the postal route as a turnaround only when there was riders to a nearby stop or needs service to the shelter acrross from it).

Extending the Q7 to Gren Acres would not only make the rout pretty frakin long, but i bet it would also provide a service not really in demand.

A Q5 LTD to the mall however, is brilliant!!!

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Screw 165th, they need a few Q111's to start on Archer during the weekday !

----

Anyway:

- The infamous Q7 to Green Acres idea rears its head again.....

I'm not beating that dead horse.... for those that don't know, I absolutely hate that idea....

- Q36 LTD's... another dead horse.... get rid of this damned thing already....

1) "Agree." The Former "Dollar Vans" have taken over Merrick/Brewer Blvd and costed the (MTA) tens of thousands in lost fares.

2) Problem is the Q30 headways during rush hours is every 7-10 minutes not enough to 'qualify' for a limited.

3) I agree with that. It would help out the crushloaded Q64 for Queens Blvd subway (E)(F)(R) (M)/Queens College connection.

1) Not necessarily. If a lot of the riders are transferring to another bus route or the subway, the MTA actually saves money by being able to run fewer buses.

2) You have the Q31, so the limited could operate along the main corridor.

3) If the problem is with overcrowding on the Q64, add more Q64 service. It goes directly to a major station anyway. Now, the Q74 has other purposes, such as providing a connection to the Q10/Q37, but don't use overcrowding on the Q64 as a reason to bring it back.

3) If the problem is with overcrowding on the Q64, add more Q64 service. It goes directly to a major station anyway.

Now, the Q74 has other purposes, such as providing a connection to the Q10/Q37, but don't use overcrowding on the Q64 as a reason to bring it back.

Buses run every 8-10 mins. on that short route, so it's not the amt. of service that needs to be boosted..... What I can't stand about the Q64 is that the physical buses will be sitting there on 108th (at least 2 at a time... most I seen was 4), but crowds would just start lining up on QB before the driver (I guess) decides it's time to turn the corner, pick up pax, and leave.... this is not sporadic, but a very common occurrence on that route....

I don't know why he's using the Q64 as a sticking point in an agreeance in bringing the 74 back....

Q64's were crowded while Q74's ran, and they aren't that much more crowded now that the 74's gone.....

I thought my ideas were extreme?

Like sending routes from Staten Island to Newark isn't extreme.....you're a moron, straight up.....

Q9:Trips extended via 130 street to JFK

Q10:Limiteds operate via 130 street, Locals via Conduit, and all 130 past 11pm

I hope you realize that Limited Service means faster service...making the Q10 LTD go via 130th makes things longer for the route....

This is what I would do. (Q1-Q29)

Q7- Extend it into the airport

See below a couple of posts...

Sure I've had ideas here & there w/ a few routes, but I just realized all this time posting on these forums, I never really fully analyzed (down to the 'T') as to how I would optimize Queens' bus system... probably due to laziness, as there are so many routes that have to be considered....

Nonetheless, the two immediate ones that come to mind (Brett already listed one of them) are:

- Q79 revival...

- Q9 extension to Lefferts Blvd AIRtrain.....

That one right there has to be the best idea with the Q9 I've read in this thread by far.....

The Q7 should stay where it is currently terminates, or be extended to JFK Airport. It doesn't need to be extended down to Green Acres Mall via Conduit Avenue. The Q85 already provides service along that street between Green Acres and Springfield Blvd. Conduit Avenue past Springfield doesn't need bus service.

Thank you! The Q7 doesn't need to be extended to JFK OR to the mall. I dont think people realize how long of a distance it is from the A train Rockaway Blvd Station to there ESPECIALLY since the route is fully localized and there is stop every 1-2 blocks along the line.....

As far as the Q6 and Q7 routes, Why? First, you have 3 routes already serving Terminal 4. From the direction the Q 7 comes from eastbound, you have the B15 and the A train. It doesnt need to serve the terminals. People work in the cargo area which is where the Q7 runs to. And the Q6 serves the postal facility. It got extended there for a reason. (its old terminal under GBL was FarmersBl and used the postal route as a turnaround only when there was riders to a nearby stop or needs service to the shelter acrross from it).

Extending the Q7 to Gren Acres would not only make the rout pretty frakin long, but i bet it would also provide a service not really in demand.

A Q5 LTD to the mall however, is brilliant!!!

Thank you! And +1 to that post, I agree.

But as a whole, I don't think some of you folks don't understand what you are doing by extending the Q7 and Q9 to the Airport. We already have terminating B15s, Q3s & Q10s over at the airport, there is literally no more space to add buses and/or routes to that airport. The Q7 doesn't need much of an extension at all because there's no demand for any extensions nor is there any reason for it. The Q7 has its own purpose. Where it terminates now is fine because you have a connection with the Q6 + all those free airport buses that gets you around the area, I think most of you folks forgot about that.

As for the Q9, I'm all for B35's plan because it's more logical than the rest. It provides a slightly better alternative over the Q3 (since the airtrain is free to the station). While the Q6 does slightly something similar, the Q9 hits parts of South Ozone Park & Richmond Hill that doesn't see any other alternatives to the Airport and/or Airtrain stations.

What some folks dont seem to realize that the Q37 is nearby all these places where extensions are "necessary", the Q37 connects with the Q10 so that kinda axes off a lot of these extensions.

Edited by Cait Sith

Sweet, Im not the only one who sees the Q9 idea logical. There are many already who walk from the Lefferts airtrain to the N. Conduit Station to avoid the $5 fare.

Another good idea i saw a few posts up is the Q111 serving Green Acres. I lived just outside Rosedale near Brewer 20 years ago when i was in JHS. I found it incredible that we were close to the mall and still had to practically do an "end around" just to get to it. Even after the Q85 started serving it. The Q111 doesnt travel far after Brookville Blvd and it only has those 2 peak trips into Nassau County to Penninsula Blvd. But in order to provide consistant service, one of its Short Turns may have to be eliminated in favor for the extention and have Rosedale as a "short turn Itself.

Q4: Extend to Elmont Road to Connect to N1 & N2/N8 Loop.

Q27. Extend Limited Trips to Q77 Terminal for connections to Q5 & Q85.

Agree 100% on the Q4. I think the (MTA) was on verge about 5-6 years back to do so but i heard the NIMBYS in Valley Stream blocked it. So not sure the discussed "Q4" extension will ever happen not that LI Bus/NICE is not in (MTA) opeartions any more.

Q7: Buses can just stay on Rockaway Blvd and not detour

Q9: Extended to JFK via 130 Street

Q10: Local via 130 and Pan Am will be limited runs

Q52: When Instituted, makes limited stops for Q53

Q53: Service from Woodhaven, then express to the Bay Refuge only 7 AM-7PM Weekdays

The Q53 Super express pre-(MTA) days is not returning and honestly does need to. If ever the only the Q53x is needed is during a few trips during summer weekends only. The existing Q53 works and if any minor changes is make less stops along Woodhaven/Cross Bay and that it.

Like sending routes from Staten Island to Newark isn't extreme.....you're a moron, straight up.....

I hope you realize that Limited Service means faster service...making the Q10 LTD go via 130th makes things longer

Well 130 street would have local service to Jamaica and Limited-Stop Service to Kew. Gardens. If anything to maintain any connections maybe Q9 can go to LIRR AIRTRAIN via Rockaway Blvd and Lefferts to the station, then maybe if there is demand to go to the Airport, meaning Q10 service (Local ALL)go via 130 Street. The Q10 would only have only one branch instead of two. Shoturns is over, and Pan Am Trips either turn into Q9 trips or rerouted to 130 street and stay a Q10 Local. Q10 Limiteds would be unchanged or be more frequent.

Not In My Back Yard.

Exactly. It was precisely this kind of mentality that prevented the Q79 from reaching the Floral Park LIRR station back in 1995-96. Honestly, I think that having the Q79 run to the station via Tulip Avenue, Carnation Avenue, and Caroline Place (stopping on the north side of the station) will not have any significant negative impacts, but I guess only divine intervention can overcome the local residents' paranoia about public transit within their village.