LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

4 hours ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Seems Recently Metro North has been running a 10car M7A. Yesterday on The Morning Rush Hour train #560 was running it and last Thursday It was spotted bypassing Melrose as a 10car set. Anyone have any clue why this is occurring more frequently?

I wonder the same thing. I heard they couldn't run 10 car M7s on the Harlem line due to substation limitations, I googled "metro north substation upgrades" and only found links talking about the New Haven line.

Sucks as a railfan you was guaranteed to get an M3 on those Harlem line runs that require 10 car trains before they started using 7s on them.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went up to the Palisades Mall today and took the Metro North to Tarrytown to catch Hudson Link.

Hudson Line is a mess due to track work. My Poughkeepsie bound train arrived at Tarrytown on the GCT bound local track, and going back my GCT bound express train arrived on the Pou/Croton Harmon bound local track. I believe all Metro North tracks on Bi Signalled (IDK what the actual railroad term is called for this) so Metro North trains can in ethier direction on any track.

From somewhere around Greystone to The Bronx we travelled on the Westchester bound local track even though we was an Express train bound for GCT. Despite the slow speed orders we only got to GCT a minute late. I missed my Hudson Link connection cause of the slow speed order POU bound though.

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Went up to the Palisades Mall today and took the Metro North to Tarrytown to catch Hudson Link.

Hudson Line is a mess due to track work. My Poughkeepsie bound train arrived at Tarrytown on the GCT bound local track, and going back my GCT bound express train arrived on the Pou/Croton Harmon bound local track. I believe all Metro North tracks on Bi Signalled (IDK what the actual railroad term is called for this) so Metro North trains can in ethier direction on any track.

From somewhere around Greystone to The Bronx we travelled on the Westchester bound local track even though we was an Express train bound for GCT. Despite the slow speed orders we only got to GCT a minute late. I missed my Hudson Link connection cause of the slow speed order POU bound though.

Considering the damage sustained along the Hudson Line, service has been pretty good. We've had to switch tracks here and there at Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale, but the delays have not been too extensive. Still the best line in the entire system.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

This new style they are using for new stations (similar visually to the new (Q) line stops on SAS) is very strange to me...it looks like something out of 90's movies that were trying to depict what the 2000's would look like (ala Total Recall)

Simplistic, but dirty and dusty. lol

On 10/31/2021 at 8:18 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

This new style they are using for new stations (similar visually to the new (Q) line stops on SAS) is very strange to me...it looks like something out of 90's movies that were trying to depict what the 2000's would look like (ala Total Recall)

I mean, this thing was designed in 2004 and supposed to open in 2007. So that's not totally wild.

The panels are actually pretty interesting, I would imagine that they're the waterproof paneling system described here:

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I don't get why this has a completion date of Dec 2022 if all the required components are already online.

Testing everything together in service, probably.

They don't just flip a switch and hope and pray everything works at a full 24TPH out of the box.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Well no, the reason for the delay is for the cosmetics.

Gonna need a source. Here's one:

The MTA began operating test trains on the route last week, amNY.com reports. Sunday’s test train took about 27 minutes to travel from LIRR’s Jamaica station to Grand Central.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Testing everything together in service, probably.

They don't just flip a switch and hope and pray everything works at a full 24TPH out of the box.

In addition to installing safety systems and finishing related infrastructure like 3rd main track and Platform F connection to Brooklyn...everyone has to be trained on PC and emergency procedures for the new tunnels so when the train catches on fire your crew actually knows how to keep you alive. Doing that for every single person on the railroad without disrupting operations. This is especially challenging since things have to be completed before you can start this.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought they didn't need signals since they had PTC/ATO?

The LIRR's signal system isn't as advanced as Metro-North's and its centralized traffic control just yet. LIRR's still transitioning from using towers and older signal equipment to using one central location to route trains using modern technology.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought they didn't need signals since they had PTC/ATO?

Several things:

1) PTC =/= ATO
2) The railroad uses cab signals in lieu of wayside automatics on most of its territory and has since the 70s
3) In the 'city zone' The automatic signals make it easy to pace your leader and prevent certain failures from crippling the operation since a train having a failure would have to move under an absolute block which would be bad for that 24tph target. It is necessary for the operational integrity basically.

7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The LIRR's signal system isn't as advanced as Metro-North's and its centralized traffic control just yet. LIRR's still transitioning from using towers and older signal equipment to using one central location to route trains using modern technology.

I have no idea what you're talking about? LI has had CAD in all its towers since the early-mid 00's and the Towers are supervised from a central location...well the ones that haven't migrated to JCC yet. The technology is the same the chairs aren't next to each other. Which isn't really a huge deal, the person Controlling Divide really doesn't need to know what's going on in Amagansett (though the bridge has the 'full picture' so if that was somehow relevant the Chief can make those decisions anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Slip n slide is a problem tonight on Metro North so I assume the LIRR is having the same problem. I wonder if the LIRR M3s will be temporarily bought back due to M7s and M9s needing their wheels fix. That's how they came back the first time after they was all removed from service.

Edited by trainfan22

• 1 month later...

...Someone in another topic brought up a point about the nouveau-yuppies that wanted the LIRR terminal in Long Island City shut down a few years ago, and it gave me a good laugh.

These people paid outrageous money for what looks like a glorified NYCHA project built on the site of an old industrial warehouse, across the street from an active railyard, downwind from one of the most polluted industrial waterways in the entire country, and then have the nerve to make demands.

And for what it's worth, LIC terminal does have its uses.  When visiting people at SUNY back in the day, used to get trains that went direct to Stonybrook from LIC; otherwise we'd be stuck at Huntington for an eternity waiting for the transfer in all sorts of shitty weather.

Seems LIRR does way too much these days to neglect the utility of the non-Manhattan terminals within the City Zone.

(not sure if this goes here)

interesting service change for LIRR

Results for Ronkonkoma

Planned Work

Trains run every 2 hours, bypass Hicksville and Bethpage, and take up to an hour longer than normal

Jan 29 - 31 and Feb 5 - 7, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 3:15 AM

Bi-level diesel trains will run every two hours between Penn Station and Ronkonkoma while we test signals near Carle Place as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. Between Jamaica and Farmingdale, they will travel via Babylon and will change directions twice, but not make any station stops. This means that your trip will take up to an hour longer than normal.

If you typically use Bethpage, or travel between Hicksville and points east of Farmingdale, a bus will run between Mineola, Hicksville, Bethpage, and Farmingdale.

The last normal trains to operate are the 11:14 PM from Penn Station and the 11:16 PM from Ronkonkoma on Friday night. Service resumes with the 3:15 AM from Penn Station and 4:06 AM from Ronkonkoma on Monday morning.

If possible, consider using the Babylon or Montauk Branches. Detailed schedule information will be available as the work approaches.

Posted: 01/18/2022 04:47PM

Dual Modes running on the Ronkonkoma line off peak, nice! Sometimes I wish the LIRR used the dual modes off peak more often, in an perfect world ethier Speonk or Port Jeff would have an one seat ride off peak to NYP. I hope the LIRR considers this whenever they get replacements for the DM30 locomotives.

I loved that service change a few years ago where Dual Modes ran between NYP and Port Jeff on a weekend.

1 hour ago, nightmare402 said:

(not sure if this goes here)

interesting service change for LIRR

Results for Ronkonkoma

Planned Work

Trains run every 2 hours, bypass Hicksville and Bethpage, and take up to an hour longer than normal

Jan 29 - 31 and Feb 5 - 7, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 3:15 AM

Bi-level diesel trains will run every two hours between Penn Station and Ronkonkoma while we test signals near Carle Place as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. Between Jamaica and Farmingdale, they will travel via Babylon and will change directions twice, but not make any station stops. This means that your trip will take up to an hour longer than normal.

If you typically use Bethpage, or travel between Hicksville and points east of Farmingdale, a bus will run between Mineola, Hicksville, Bethpage, and Farmingdale.

The last normal trains to operate are the 11:14 PM from Penn Station and the 11:16 PM from Ronkonkoma on Friday night. Service resumes with the 3:15 AM from Penn Station and 4:06 AM from Ronkonkoma on Monday morning.

If possible, consider using the Babylon or Montauk Branches. Detailed schedule information will be available as the work approaches.

Posted: 01/18/2022 04:47PM

It's actually a modification of recent service changes. Instead of a shuttle between Hicksville and Babylon involving a change of trains you get a DM one seat ride for a change. Central Branch sightseeing.  Wonder what made them change to this operation ? . Carry on

Results for Port Jefferson

Planned Work

No trains between Jamaica and Hicksville

Jan 22 - 24, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 12:30 AM

Trains run in three sections while we install switches near Queens Village:

Between Huntington or Port Jefferson and Hicksville

Between Hicksville and Babylon

Between Babylon and Jamaica/Penn Station

Transfer at Hicksville and Babylon for continuing service. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time or consider using the Babylon or Montauk Branches instead. Click here to see a map of this service change.

There is no service at New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place, or Westbury. Consider using the Babylon or Hempstead Branches instead, which will have increased service all weekend. NICE Bus is accepting LIRR tickets on the n22 and n24 bus routes between Hicksville and Mineola, and on the n40/41 bus route between Mineola and Hempstead. See nicebus.com for schedules. Between midnight and 5 AM, when NICE Bus does not run, special shuttle buses will be provided between Hicksville and Mineola. See an LIRR employee to board the bus.

The last through trains to operate on Friday night are the 10:52 PM from Port Jefferson, the 11:22 PM from Huntington, and the 11:39 PM from Penn Station. Service resumes with the 12:19 AM from Huntington and 1:11 AM from Penn Station on Monday morning.

hhmm