Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

The elevator was running at 96th this afternoon, though interestingly two of the glass panels of the above-ground structure are already shattered. Seating space between the elevator and the main entrance has also been installed sometime in the last few days.

I live in the area and walk by pretty regularly if you guys are interested in photo updates.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The elevator was running at 96th this afternoon, though interestingly two of the glass panels of the above-ground structure are already shattered. Seating space between the elevator and the main entrance has also been installed sometime in the last few days.

I live in the area and walk by pretty regularly if you guys are interested in photo updates.

I would certainly be interested in some photo updates

• 2 weeks later...

From a week ago:

Second Avenue Subway Construction Firm Fetes Inconvenienced Upper East Siders

The construction company in charge of work on the Second Avenue Subway held a special celebration for the often-inconvenienced Upper East Siders.

Officials handed out free Good Humor ice cream to thank residents who have had to deal with work on the new subway line.

They also celebrated the end of street level construction that stretched from 90th Street to 105th Street.

Portions of the road and sidewalks were closed during months of work, and the construction dramatically reduced foot traffic for many stores.

Those we spoke with said the treats were a welcome surprise.

"It seems like everyone is having a good time," said one. "It's hot, they've got ice cream for the kids, they're making some balloons on this side. It's a nice event."

"We see the old Good Humor ice cream truck, reminds me of my own childhood, as a matter of fact," said another. "The kids are loving it, right here. It's a really nice gesture."

Sources tell us the MTA recently tested power on the third rail, marking a new milestone in the project.

Transit officials hope to have the long-delayed line up and running by the end of year.

In case I'm not the only one who didn't know what "fetes" means, it's a "a celebration or festival" (noun) or "to honor or entertain (someone) lavishly" (verb)

i know this will be far out if it ever happens, what yard could the (T) use and i see on the planned maps there is plans for a provision for possible extension into the bronx and storage tracks?

There will be various storage tracks, including above the curve at 125th St, and between 21st and 9th. (Plus tail tracks.)

The maintenance yard will be Coney Island, accessed via a new, dedicated turnout from Phase 3 track to the 63rd St tunnel. More specifically, from the FEIS: 

Three new tracks also would be needed to meet routine maintenance and inspection requirements for the Second Avenue Subway fleet. Because there is no appropriate vacant land available for such facilities near either the northern or southern terminus (at 125th Street and in Lower Manhattan, respectively), NYCT sought to identify locations accessible to the Second Avenue Subway trains where the trains could be maintained. The most efficient solution would be to use an existing NYCT maintenance facility that, with some internal modifications, could be improved to provide capacity adequate for the Second Avenue Subway trains, rather than to construct a new maintenance facility. NYCT’s existing Coney Island complex at the southernmost end of the Broadway Line was identified as a suitable location to maintain the Second Avenue fleet. Studies determined that capacity for the Second Avenue trains at Coney Island could be created by adding capacity (within the boundaries of NYCT property) to either the 207th Street Yard maintenance shop in northern Manhattan or the Concourse Yard maintenance shop in the Bronx, and shifting some trains that are now maintained in Coney Island to one of these northern shops. This FEIS assesses the potential impacts resulting from such shifts.

They will discharge everyone at 57 St, and run up light to 96 St and come back to 57 St.

...a very long relay in a sense

Where did you hear that? I imagine they might do that when qualifying the crews (like they did on the Grand St. shuttle right before the north side of the Manhattan Bridge reopened). But then, since this is a full fledged line, it might be better to run a separate "school car" shuttle for that. Othweruse, the same switches south of the station that the (Q) used before will still be there.

Where did you hear that? I imagine they might do that when qualifying the crews (like they did on the Grand St. shuttle right before the north side of the Manhattan Bridge reopened). But then, since this is a full fledged line, it might be better to run a separate "school car" shuttle for that. Othweruse, the same switches south of the station that the (Q) used before will still be there.

The work program says so. Also the MTA said the 96 Street crew room will be active by October.