Which bus depot has the Best Maintenance? and which one has the Worst?

XcelsiorBoii4888

@ ENY your right LGA do maintain the RTS at a fair rate, but however lately LGA have been keeping up with the 07 and NGs. Like I said before TA and the GS have been on the mach. A#*, I can tell you first hand that it have been less brake dwns and also the pullouts is at a high rate know meaning less OOS buses sitting in the depot. It comes to the point where the GS wants the drivers to right any lil defects on the bus and to be brought upon the foreman to be fix. Its so serious where if the bus don't have windshield wash to bring it back to the foreman after our shift. The only thing I can say is that LGA don't give to flying you know what about the ex bee lines lol. I guess TA is not playing with those ex PBL guys no more especially with all that money being spent on LGA depot alone, its starting to look good, they doing all types of work in and out that depot, they jsut finish putting about 4 big vent systems on top the depot.

Quill has about 20 Koni lift stations that fit all buses, plenty of space outside of that occupied by the lifts, and plenty of personnel to service the buses. ENY and Gleason are both in the same boat as Quill. Grand Ave is right underneath a state of the art base shop so they get whatever they need. All these facilities are 2 or 3 times larger than 126th. We do the best with what we have (7 lifts to accomadate artics, 2 lifts that fit only standard 40 footers, and 4 inspection pits that fit only 40 footers). It goes to show you what can be done when people take pride in their jobs. Especially since like i said before, we have some dinosaurs working here. They were telling me of how here, at 126th, they use to rebuild engines and perform HSO for a lot of MaBSTOA buses when there were no lifts at all.

And parts being on property is not really a problem unless there is nothing in the system and we have to wait on the manufacturer. Its very common for most depots to have to get parts form other depots. Tuskegee, MHV, and KB all have storerooms twitch the size of ours, but i never go a day where i don't see at least one of their parts trucks

I forgot all about how 126th Street used to do things up there back in the day!

@ ENY your right LGA do maintain the RTS at a fair rate, but however lately LGA have been keeping up with the 07 and NGs. Like I said before TA and the GS have been on the mach. A#*, I can tell you first hand that it have been less brake dwns and also the pullouts is at a high rate know meaning less OOS buses sitting in the depot. It comes to the point where the GS wants the drivers to right any lil defects on the bus and to be brought upon the foreman to be fix. Its so serious where if the bus don't have windshield wash to bring it back to the foreman after our shift. The only thing I can say is that LGA don't give to flying you know what about the ex bee lines lol. I guess TA is not playing with those ex PBL guys no more especially with all that money being spent on LGA depot alone, its starting to look good, they doing all types of work in and out that depot, they jsut finish putting about 4 big vent systems on top the depot.

You know, I can say that I haven't heard any real bad news out of LGA in a while now. I've been on quite a few of their OG's and NG's as of late, and I must say they do ride quite well. One thing that I want to point out is that the rate of hybrid battery replacement at LGA is one of the highest in the city. Most don't know that this is because the BAE system is a series hybrid, which performs better at lower speeds. Because some of the routes out of LGA, and a few other depots cause buses to operate at higher speeds, with less stop-and-go, the batteries need to be replaced faster than they would on the hybrids that run on 34th, and 42nd streets.

So when a lot of the hybrids were breaking down previously, many thought it was the fault of maintenance at LGA, when it was actually the batteries. Some of which need to be replaced up 3 years sooner than buses of the same build year at other depots.

Food for thought.......

I forgot all about how 126th Street used to do things up there back in the day!

You know, I can say that I haven't heard any real bad news out of LGA in a while now. I've been on quite a few of their OG's and NG's as of late, and I must say they do ride quite well. One thing that I want to point out is that the rate of hybrid battery replacement at LGA is one of the highest in the city. Most don't know that this is because the BAE system is a series hybrid, which performs better at lower speeds. Because some of the routes out of LGA, and a few other depots cause buses to operate at higher speeds, with less stop-and-go, the batteries need to be replaced faster than they would on the hybrids that run on 34th, and 42nd streets.

So when a lot of the hybrids were breaking down previously, many thought it was the fault of maintenance at LGA, when it was actually the batteries. Some of which need to be replaced up 3 years sooner than buses of the same build year at other depots.

Food for thought.......

This is one of the reasons why I question the fact that they use Hybrids on lines like the M98. That use the highway for a portion of the route and when on local streets they only make limited stops. When those buses be passing the swing bus at 179 Street and Broadway, you could hear the small engine just howling trying to recharge the battery. I just don't understand why they just don't use RTS's for that route.

This is one of the reasons why I question the fact that they use Hybrids on lines like the M98. That use the highway for a portion of the route and when on local streets they only make limited stops. When those buses be passing the swing bus at 179 Street and Broadway, you could hear the small engine just howling trying to recharge the battery. I just don't understand why they just don't use RTS's for that route.

When Quill runs it, from what I've seen, nine times outta ten it's an RTS. Honestly, think the M116 shoulda gone completely to MHV (or even split with TU) and instead 126 could split the M98 with Quill, that way you put the hybrids on the stop and go route and keep the diesel buses (with GEARS!) on the highway, cause on Harlem River Drive and all that you need a bus that can move along.

Well Yonkers seems to do okay with their express buses. They're pretty clean except for the occasional newspaper for the most part. I had one bus with a broken seat 3185 but considering that those buses are now a good 7 years old in some cases, they're in pretty damn good shape. Run smoothly for the most part too. Eastchester seems to do well also, as does Spring Creek. I can only vouch for their express buses though. The worst have to be TU & Castleton by a mile. Castleton basically does nothing... Buses are filthy, as are many of TU's buses.

I totally agree with you on this one. Yonkers and Eastchester take very good care of there express buses. I can't believe that they are 7 years old. On the outside they look practically new. The interior are well maintained. Even before MTA took over the PBL's. Bee Line and New York Bus Service had the most reliable service and maintenance in my opinion. Im just glad the MTA was able to uphold that same standard.

When Quill runs it, from what I've seen, nine times outta ten it's an RTS. Honestly, think the M116 shoulda gone completely to MHV (or even split with TU) and instead 126 could split the M98 with Quill, that way you put the hybrids on the stop and go route and keep the diesel buses (with GEARS!) on the highway, cause on Harlem River Drive and all that you need a bus that can move along.

Lately I be seeing 3 hybrids to 1 RTS. I remember at one point it was all RTS. Now I am seeing a mixed breed. This Wednesday I am going to observe that line and give you an update. I know it comes down to bus availability at the time of pull out.

College Point is good with maintainence. However CP has a horrible scheduling problem. A good Example is the Q38. The routes closer to CP (Q25/Q34,Q65, Q50,Q66) have better scheduling then the Q38, which only god knows of if it ever switches back to LGA. I moved in August to my new home along the 38. I'd rather walk under a bridge that I may get pigeon poop to get to Grand Ave rather than walk four blocks to Eliot Avenue (from my home, Grand Avenue is 1.3miles, compared to 0.3 miles to Eliot)

LGA needs better maintenance. However I would take an LGA bus over a CP bus that is the Q38.

College Point is good with maintainence. However CP has a horrible scheduling problem. A good Example is the Q38. The routes closer to CP (Q25/Q34,Q65, Q50,Q66) have better scheduling then the Q38, which only god knows of if it ever switches back to LGA. I moved in August to my new home along the 38. I'd rather walk under a bridge that I may get pigeon poop to get to Grand Ave rather than walk four blocks to Eliot Avenue (from my home, Grand Avenue is 1.3miles, compared to 0.3 miles to Eliot)

LGA needs better maintenance. However I would take an LGA bus over a CP bus that is the Q38.

Well thats not the case CP I say is in the middle because those 500's were just delivered and there is already lots of trash in them, like they been there for 3-4 years. They just don't like to clean the interiors and those New flyer's are probably going to last less than JG due to the fact that they can't keep those buses clean. The scheduling I agree is a problem not just on the Q38 but on most the routes. Last week I waited 45 minutes just for a Q25 to come and it was packed and had to wait 10 more minutes for another one to come. Even in the morning going to school buses can come like every 2-3 minutes and then they stop coming for 8-15 minutes.

You have to understand what the MTA is doing with there buses before you see the big picture. The maintence department will only work on the buses that they can get up and running to meet service. they rather fix 20 buses with small problems then 7 buses with big problems. 20>7= more buses for service. So what happens to the 7 buses with big problems, well they run them till they break as long as it not a safety issue. I always asked myself why dont they fix several things at once when they have a bus on a lift to get the bus back in tip top shape. it was explained that they want the bus to be 19A complient so they rather have a bus just pass inspection then a perfect bus.

Lately I be seeing 3 hybrids to 1 RTS. I remember at one point it was all RTS. Now I am seeing a mixed breed. This Wednesday I am going to observe that line and give you an update. I know it comes down to bus availability at the time of pull out.

MHV only has Hybirds....

The 98 is split with Quill.

Yes, but there will be SOME hybrids on the 98. You also have to keep in mind, the RTS's are needed for the Central Park buses.

Yes, but there will be SOME hybrids on the 98. You also have to keep in mind, the RTS's are needed for the Central Park buses.

Except it doesn't take that many RTS to cover both the 66 and the 72. You can see the entire 66 within an hour, same for the 72. It's not that many at all

Well Yonkers seems to do okay with their express buses. They're pretty clean except for the occasional newspaper for the most part. I had one bus with a broken seat 3185 but considering that those buses are now a good 7 years old in some cases, they're in pretty damn good shape. Run smoothly for the most part too. Eastchester seems to do well also, as does Spring Creek. I can only vouch for their express buses though. The worst have to be TU & Castleton by a mile. Castleton basically does nothing... Buses are filthy, as are many of TU's buses.

I gotta disagree as I've been in both Castleton & Charleston. Castleton puts quite a lot of work into those buses, they fixed almost EVERY issue in those D4500CTs that Yukon never fixed and mind you, those buses are only 4 years old and Yukon made them run/look as if they are already 10 years old. You have to remember that most of the shit Castleton have there now is Yukon junk, the fact that they have more express buses in good running shape better than Yukon speaks volumes. They can look dirty, but if they got it running in good shape, why not?

Obviously it'd be nice if the interior were cleaner, but I'd blame the slob riders that rode before me. I'd rather take a dirty bus that runs fine over a clean bus that is maintained to be barely road worthy and would breakdown at some point in its run.

Go Tuskegee, you'll get a dirty bus that AND it'll break down!

I gotta disagree as I've been in both Castleton & Charleston. Castleton puts quite a lot of work into those buses, they fixed almost EVERY issue in those D4500CTs that Yukon never fixed and mind you, those buses are only 4 years old and Yukon made them run/look as if they are already 10 years old. You have to remember that most of the shit Castleton have there now is Yukon junk, the fact that they have more express buses in good running shape better than Yukon speaks volumes. They can look dirty, but if they got it running in good shape, why not?

LOL... I have to disagree because their maintenance may have gotten a bit better, but I haven't forgotten the days when local buses and express buses out of Castleton (not Yukon's crappola) were all over the road broken down, and not only was their maintenance horrible, but the buses were filthy to boot. If you want to give them a pass then because their depot was overfilled then fine, but it wasn't until they got new management in that things got a little better. Maintenance has gotten a bit better, but the buses are still rather dirty and not all of it is from passengers. Passengers aren't allowed to smoke on the buses, yet I see cigarette butts on the express buses...?? Ahem... <_<

As for Yukon, no question that they ran those buses into the ground, as well as their newer local buses too. That's why I don't think they should get any new buses until they step up their performance and show that they can take better care of the new buses that they get.

to Me the Best is ENY,JG,GA and CS

the depots that gone to shit as much as i hate to say it Basiley Park isn't the same ever since they lost their early 3500's for crappy 3525-3556 the depot has gone to shit, the BL orion V's and the 3700's are the most reliable buses

the worst is Gun Hill, those buses look like trash, the only buses in Gun Hill that looks good are the 40 footers, LGA like ENY said seems like they only take care of the RTS but LGA has always been shit

Far Rockaway stole our good buses just to make them look good and the buses they gave us are pure trash

JFK has improoved in fact they use the RTS on WEEKENDS!!!

LOL... I have to disagree because their maintenance may have gotten a bit better, but I haven't forgotten the days when local buses and express buses out of Castleton (not Yukon's crappola) were all over the road broken down, and not only was their maintenance horrible, but the buses were filthy to boot. If you want to give them a pass then because their depot was overfilled then fine, but it wasn't until they got new management in that things got a little better.

That was then, and this is now, and thats where my post came into play, I'm talking about now, not then! Yukon also has new management but its been hit or miss these days out of that depot. Now you can actually tell which depot is doing better with what buses and Castleton has far surpassed Yukon in terms of maintenance. Give it a while for those Prevosts, they'll look run down in a matter of months.

That was then, and this is now, and thats where my post came into play, I'm talking about now, not then! Yukon also has new management but its been hit or miss these days out of that depot. Now you can actually tell which depot is doing better with what buses and Castleton has far surpassed Yukon in terms of maintenance. Give it a while for those Prevosts, they'll look run down in a matter of months.

LOL... Oh I don't doubt that. Quite frankly it isn't that Yukon's maintenance has ever been so great even in the past. It's just that they get more newer buses. I wouldn't even say a while... A passenger on the X5 was complaining about some vile odor coming from one of them left by someone. I guess it was a special christening... lol

Archived