Advice. Are the NYC subways really that safe?

R32 3352

Hey, guys.

So I'm taking a big step tomorrow. I'm going into the city by myself for the first time really. When ever i've taken the train, it's been with a family member or friend. This time its just me and the concrete jungle. So I was wondering if I could hear some stories about the first time YOU all took the subway and if you have any tips, leave them here. Because, to be frank, i'm nervous. haha. Either way, hope to hear some interesting replies.

-Nick

I have no idea your age so its hard to say. Im still Nervous to go alone to some parts in the bronx and brooklyn. I would stick to the safe areas first, like manhattan and queens and parts of brooklyn off of the Q, D F G N and R. I remember bein a bit nervous and at the same time excited on my first time on the LiRR Brooklyn branch back in 2008.

Best thing to do like Joe says, be confident. Dont let it get in your head thats its anywhere different than where u live, again i have no idea of that.

The city isn't very scary at all! Just be aware of your surroundings, if you see someone sketchy then walk away. Don't look scared or nervous, because you can become a target. Don't flash anything expensive. You'll be fine anyways lol. Just have fun and enjoy yourself and all the sites!

The 1st time I took the subway alone, was about 6 years ago, i was 9. (Far too young to ride the subway alone, i know.) I wasn't nervous at all. I was really excited, and I rode many different lines (The L, F, 1, N, and the E). I always had a passion for trains and the subway, but that trip basically opened my interest and kept it alive.

Just have fun! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask me! :)

Where do you wanna go? Wherever that is, don't flash anything and just be yourself. As long as you don't show off expensive items and don't look scared, I'm of the belief you can go just about anywhere in the city.

For me, first time I started going around the city myself I would have been about 10 years old, I always knew my parents' phone number and I had at least $10 on me for an emergency. Started commuting on the train by myself when I finished elementary school (and that's pretty old but my ma was the really overprotective type), just made sure I never showed anything expensive and I always knew where I was going. Might wanna stick near the first car or the 4th/5th car to be near the T/O or the C/O, and then just be yourself.

Any case, nothing to be nervous about. Just about every person you see has somewhere to go and won't care that you're there. If you find yourself in a bad situation, walk into a store or if it's on the subway, change cars at the next stop. The city may seem kinda daunting but you don't need to worry (that's probably the worst thing you could do!), specially on a day with weather as nice as today.

As Joe said, be confident, don't make a scene and don't make yourself a target or vulnerable. Mind your own business.

Honestly I hate riding the subway when the high school kids get out because they get rowdy, but it's whatever.

lol.... The subway is MUCH safer than when I was a kid... I remember back in the 80s when I was maybe 8 or 9 I took the subway with my dad to the city. Felt a bit nervous but my dad was about my height so having him around calmed my nerves, but I couldn't show my nervousness either way. My dad is a real macho Sicilian type. :lol: Anywho, I didn't really start taking the subway alone until I was about 13 or 14 when I'd go to the village to pick up rock/metal CDs and such and usually I'd go with a bunch of friends from Sheepshead Bay. Before then I really only used it when going to the city and only when my mom or dad had to go for some business and took me along. It probably wasn't so much the train as it was going to the city. Being a kid from South Brooklyn, going to the city as a 8 or 9 year old you're always sort of in awe with all of the people and huge buildings and such. I will say that even at 30 though there are some places I just will not go on the subway and when I do use the subway, I don't take out anything. Cell phone stays in my pocket. Then again I don't wear flashy stuff so one less thing to worry about.

lol.... The subway is MUCH safer than when I was a kid... I remember back in the 80s when I was maybe 8 or 9 I took the subway with my dad to the city. Felt a bit nervous but my dad was about my height so having him around calmed my nerves, but I couldn't show my nervousness either way. My dad is a real macho Sicilian type. :lol: Anywho, I didn't really start taking the subway alone until I was about 13 or 14 when I'd go to the village to pick up rock/metal CDs and such and usually I'd go with a bunch of friends from Sheepshead Bay. Before then I really only used it when going to the city and only when my mom or dad had to go for some business and took me along. It probably wasn't so much the train as it was going to the city. Being a kid from South Brooklyn, going to the city as a 8 or 9 year old you're always sort of in awe with all of the people and huge buildings and such. I will say that even at 30 though there are some places I just will not go on the subway and when I do use the subway, I don't take out anything. Cell phone stays in my pocket. Then again I don't wear flashy stuff so one less thing to worry about.

Well said. Being a 'lover' of the express bus lines lol, i thought this would be a hate on the subways. :)

FYI. VG8 is correct that now compared to 25-30 years ago, the subways are so much safer. For instance the (L) line the current main line for the city's "Hipster" community lol seriously in the early 1980's had so much crime, that i read somewhere that a former (MTA) exec thought about closing the (L) line. Not to mention back then, my mom taking my other brothers and myself around the city would never use the (L) or (G) lines. Now those routes are so much safer

Well said. Being a 'lover' of the express bus lines lol, i thought this would be a hate on the subways. :)

FYI. VG8 is correct that now compared to 25-30 years ago, the subways are so much safer. For instance the (L) line the current main line for the city's "Hipster" community lol seriously in the early 1980's had so much crime, that i read somewhere that a former (MTA) exec thought about closing the (L) line. Not to mention back then, my mom taking my other brothers and myself around the city would never use the (L) or (G) lines. Now those routes are so much safer

LOL.... I wouldn't go so far... I pretty much will use the subway anywhere in Manhattan and in most parts of Brooklyn and Queens, but the Bronx aside from maybe the (1) line... Forget it. I did use the (D) train once to get to Yankees stadium but that was a last minute thing in which my friend Diego invited me the day of and I didn't have time to arrange for alternatives. Going back to the city though of course I rode with him.

To the OP: Well, it depends how old you are.

In any case, I don't go to Manhattan too much, but the first time I rode a bus by myself was when I was about 11, and it was within Staten Island. I think the first time I rode the subway by myself was when I was about 13. Of course, I'd been riding it for years with my family, but this was the first time I did it by myself.

I remember a group of (what looked to be) 7 or 8 year olds riding the S46 by themselves, but it was only for 1 stop, so I don't know if you want to count that. I mean, it was a group of them and it was a distance that was normally walkable, so I don't know if that counts. I mean, I think I was about 9 when I started walking to school by myself (it was basically when we moved to SI, since in Brooklyn it was more dense and my parents were worried about a small child in an urban environment). Of course, SI is still urban, but not compared to the rest of NYC of course.

You'll be fiiiiiiine. My first subway ride was the day me and my mom came out of the hospital after she gave birth to me.

Back in 7th grade, I would skip school to see the subway system and saw most of it by the middle of 8th. I only need to see Harlem-148th and 145th on the (3) and I'm done. Metro-North next.

No worries, this isn't the 70s or 80s. ;)

I started taking the subways independently by the ago of 10. Wasn't nervous at all, but fun. Around 12 me and a couple of friends used to ride the subways at night just for the hell of it (empty cars = much fun). Nothing ever happened to us. Ntm we were usually on the (J) or (C).

Basically just use your common sense and you'll be fine. Look like you know where you are going even if you're lost. This is also a general rule.

It's safe now. Look at back in the 80's though.

Lol I miss those days even tough I wasn't there! :lol:

You'll be fiiiiiiine. My first subway ride was the day me and my mom came out of the hospital after she gave birth to me.

Back in 7th grade, I would skip school to see the subway system and saw most of it by the middle of 8th. I only need to see Harlem-148th and 145th on the (3) and I'm done. Metro-North next.

Been ridin the subways all my life too. And why skip school to ride the subways when you commute to school? But I have been known to take "days off" for busfanning up here.

Been ridin the subways all my life too. And why skip school to ride the subways when you commute to school? But I have been known to take "days off" for busfanning up here.

I'd skip school because that was the only way I could see the system in it's entirety. I'd just be home by 3:30 and make up my own homework and I was good lol

Hey, Everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for all the useful comments and recommendations. The trip went really well for everyone that's interested and I'll be doing it again next week as well. If anyone would like to help further, i'm going from the World Trade Center to Jamaica 179th (Then the Q1 to Springfield Blvd). So if anyone has any particular tips about those areas, keep posting.

-Nick

Archived