Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

When the MTA updates it's budget (financial) plan this July and hopefully it includes service enhancements for 2015, I have a proposal that I hope that can be considered and it is:

-A new or extended local bus route between Staten Island and Newark Liberty International Airport.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Dude already suggested one months ago

Where in Staten Island would this route start? Is there demand for such a route?

It can be an extension of an NJT bus route to either SI mall or SI college.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually buses that go to airports don't start at malls or colleges...

The M60 starts at Columbia (but yeah, SI College is not the kind of higher education place an airport route should be terminating at.)

The main issue is that airport routes need to have a lot of concentrated, airport-bound demand along their route (because no airport traveler is going to change buses to get to an airport.) Staten Island is the exact opposite of concentrated; there's no regular source of airport travelers (like a large hotel cluster or a research university) or airport workers, so it's very doubtful that you could create a route with strong enough ridership. Maybe you could create a St. George - EWR route, but it would require anyone staying/going to Lower Manhattan to transfer to the ferry, which is going to kill ridership.

Bored, threw some shit at the wall:

S73. Why? Who cares.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004fad1c9f1e5dc1cc12&msa=0&ll=40.59145,-74.097697&spn=0.090466,0.198269

S77. Why? Who cares. This one is actually a twist of a suggestion by others on here.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004fad1d04deeb6fd9e4&msa=0&ll=40.592187,-74.070511&spn=0.090465,0.198269

Anything reasonable on those two routes? Feedback welcome as always.

Those of you who keep making all of these S.I/NJ routes seem to forget that it has to get passed in NJ as well....not just NY.

LOGIC, USE IT!

True, but there is a need... Silive.com just recently noted a new SI - NJ route starting up, though this one is rather limited and small but still.

The M60 starts at Columbia (but yeah, SI College is not the kind of higher education place an airport route should be terminating at.)

The main issue is that airport routes need to have a lot of concentrated, airport-bound demand along their route (because no airport traveler is going to change buses to get to an airport.) Staten Island is the exact opposite of concentrated; there's no regular source of airport travelers (like a large hotel cluster or a research university) or airport workers, so it's very doubtful that you could create a route with strong enough ridership. Maybe you could create a St. George - EWR route, but it would require anyone staying/going to Lower Manhattan to transfer to the ferry, which is going to kill ridership.

It used to start at Columbia. It starts at Broadway and 106...

If you read you would know I am not about that. I post less due to the same BS arguments over and over it gets old some people just aren't worth it.

Yeah, Of course logic to the illogical would be classified as "BS arguments".....

I will agree with one premise here though - I've grown tired of replying to the same proposals...

The one thing I've noticed is that the younger crowd in general don't really care all that much about where the routes go, as much as they do the technological improvements the MTA has made (subway or bus, wise).... This is to the MTA's advantage.

You're also gonna see less of us right now in our late 20's & early 30's on these transit forums, 20-30 years from now.... Guarantee it...

Saying this another way, you simply wont see near as many 50 - 60 something's droppin knowledge about the buses & subways in this city..... The guys that around the same ages (20's-30's) that work for the MTA now, 20-30 years from now will simply pack their bags & go home.. lol... (meaning, they're gonna be more apt to stacking their chips & not caring much about sharing information on transit forums when they get older) - Can't say I blame them either.....

I have a deeper theory about where I see the online NYC transit realm (or whatever you wanna call it) in the future, but I'll stop here & let whoever wanna continue posting (yet some other) SI - NJ bus route do so.....

(which is really what I came in here to say.... Like, where are the intra-SI suggestions at? (rhetorical))......

If you read you would know I am not about that. I post less due to the same BS arguments over and over it gets old some people just aren't worth it.

So by definition, BS arguments are people who post logical answers back towards your proposal?

I guess in the realm, it must be like

(╯°□°)╯︵ ɔᴉƃol

(╯°□°)╯︵ ǝsuǝs uoɯɯoɔ

Why can't it be an S89 extenstion to Newark Liberty. It can run every hour during evenings, weekends,and late nights from ETC, and every 30 minutes middays from Richmond Avenue

I'd like to do away with the s89 in its entirety and want the MTA to run weekday peak express bus service from Downtown Jersey City to Staten Island. Jersey City is still growing as a major employment center.

If the MTA won't do it, perhaps NYC could partner with Academy to run buses this way, similar to the x23/x24 routes and accept Metrocards.

As I've said previously, the :njt: (22 Hillside) 10 should have some trips beginning and ending at Forest & Richmond Avenue. Since the PANYNJ is running shuttle vans between Bayonne & Staten Island shows that service is warranted.

since were on the topic of the S89 would expanding it to the weekends  

Saturdays from SI would run from 5:50 am to 12:40 am

to SI  would run from 6:40 am to 1:20 am

sundays from si it would run from 6:40 am   to 11:50 pm

to si it would run from 7:40 am  to 12:40 am                                   

I'd like to do away with the s89 in its entirety and want the MTA to run weekday peak express bus service from Downtown Jersey City to Staten Island. Jersey City is still growing as a major employment center.

If the MTA won't do it, perhaps NYC could partner with Academy to run buses this way, similar to the x23/x24 routes and accept Metrocards.

As I've said previously, the :njt: (22 Hillside) 10 should have some trips beginning and ending at Forest & Richmond Avenue. Since the PANYNJ is running shuttle vans between Bayonne & Staten Island shows that service is warranted.

What is the difference between S89 and Bayonne shuttle? S89 links to HBLR which has flyer ltd stop trips to Jersey cityat rush hour.

• 9 months later...

What is the difference between S89 and Bayonne shuttle? S89 links to HBLR which has flyer ltd stop trips to Jersey cityat rush hour.

The s89 serves the HBLR, not everyone wants HBLR. The majority of folks on the shuttle, which starts at the foot of the bridge are coming from the Boulevard, most likely the 10. Prior to demolition of the sidewalk, I encountered a number of folks who were not runners/joggers.

Ignoring the last few pages, I believe the S89 should be have expanded weekday service like the S93. This could help out NJ a bit. Would this work or SI doesn't look forward to NJ service like that?

The s89 is fine as it is, you would be over-serving Richmond Avenue (s59/s44).

I have been saying that NJT should expand either the 10 or the 81 to Richmond/Forest (s44/s59 and s48). The 81 seems like the best bet since it directly services both the 8th Street HBLR and makes it all the way to Grove and to Exchange Place. The 10 goes to Journal Square. We would have to see through surveys where it is needed.

Speaking of the s89, I would not be surprised if upon completion ~2017 of the Raise the Roadway project which involves raising the Bayonne Bridge that the Bayonne terminal of the route, presently at the 34th Street HBLR would be relocated to the 8th Street HBLR terminal. This would save the MTA money and time and shorten the commute for passengers as this eliminates the NJ-440 portion of the route (and a number of traffic lights) and alot of walking between the tracks and bus stop. The 8th Street station does support a bus stop, but has a tight left turn exit. However, Bayonne residents, might not like the idea of increased traffic and could object.

Edited by 161passenger