Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
TheSubwayStation

Planned Subway Service Changes

Recommended Posts

So why not just have the (5) operate to South Ferry via 7th Avenue and the (2) to Flatbush via Lexington? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So why not just have the (5) operate to South Ferry via 7th Avenue and the (2) to Flatbush via Lexington? 

That would cause more confusion than just swapping the Bronx terminals.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

More deep station cleaning:

47819395952_2eb2fc7107_o.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 7.39.25 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Thank you for the update on this change. 

When I posted it last Monday, I could not believe that someone would come up with something like this, knowing full well how heavily used these stations are during the non-rush hours. It made no sense for a rider from Avenue H to have to go all the way to Sheepshead Bay  to board a train going to the city. I saw what work was being done and it could have been done late at night without disrupting service like it did this past week.

It was crazy on the Q during the non-rush hours last week and when I got off at Sheepshead Bay on both Monday and Thursday in the early afternoon, the northbound platforms were as crowded as the rush hour. If it was that crowded at 2 PM  I can't imagine how bad it was for most of the day

Pardon me for asking but what genius came up with this total and unnecessary disruption of Brighton Line service at two of the most important stations on the line?  In the 40+ years that I have rode the Brighton Line, I cannot remember when these two stations were closed at the same time during the non rush hours for a week (and if it had not been cancelled for the upcoming week) for work that could have been done at night (and for the record, I am not talking about track work). What may have happened here was that the penny pinchers were at work and quite honestly I doubt if they know anything about the Brighton Line let alone the system itself. What were they in state of panic over Cuomo's complaining about the overtime all over the media even the worst offender was the Long Island Railroad and the governor himself should take responsibility as he in charge of the agency and therefore helped settle the contracts which allowed the overtime?

If you read the phony media, you will notice that the talk is about new contracts and how overtime has to be curtailed. I seem to have heard this talk going back 60 years and the end result is always that all it is "hot air". The same elected officials who did the most complaining are the same ones who negotiated the contracts over the years only to go through the same ritual with the next contract and the contract after that and after that.

That's my opinion.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

(6) shuttle bus was a mess this afternoon. Going to parkchester the express and local were at the same stop and the stop was already overflowed with over 50 people. I take the "local'' shuttle bus, which only made stops at Brook Av and Cypress Av, then decided to go nonstop to parkchester.

Keep in mind there was no signage or announcements from supervisors or the B/O saying this was supposed to be express, so the driver was getting mad heat. And people should be mad because how you skip a whole section that was meant for your "local" and express buses are supposed to run nonstop, not some stops then you go express.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not good, but not surprising either. If there are ~20 minute intervals upon leaving the terminal, it's not surprising there are these large gaps between trains mid-route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lance said:

Not good, but not surprising either. If there are ~20 minute intervals upon leaving the terminal, it's not surprising there are these large gaps between trains mid-route.

The salient point here is supremely crappy terminal dispatching. Here's the supplement for today; none of those gaps were in any way supposed to happen. 

yXiXHPH.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The salient point here is supremely crappy terminal dispatching. Here's the supplement for today; none of those gaps were in any way supposed to happen. 

yXiXHPH.png

I might be confusing things, but could I-TRAC in any way help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I might be confusing things, but could I-TRAC in any way help?

No, not beyond providing some level of accountability. ITRAC tracks trains; what's needed here is rigor in making sure that every train actually runs and that trains leave the terminal on time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, Interested Rider said:

Thank you for the update on this change. 

When I posted it last Monday, I could not believe that someone would come up with something like this, knowing full well how heavily used these stations are during the non-rush hours. It made no sense for a rider from Avenue H to have to go all the way to Sheepshead Bay  to board a train going to the city. I saw what work was being done and it could have been done late at night without disrupting service like it did this past week.

It was crazy on the Q during the non-rush hours last week and when I got off at Sheepshead Bay on both Monday and Thursday in the early afternoon, the northbound platforms were as crowded as the rush hour. If it was that crowded at 2 PM  I can't imagine how bad it was for most of the day

Pardon me for asking but what genius came up with this total and unnecessary disruption of Brighton Line service at two of the most important stations on the line?  In the 40+ years that I have rode the Brighton Line, I cannot remember when these two stations were closed at the same time during the non rush hours for a week (and if it had not been cancelled for the upcoming week) for work that could have been done at night (and for the record, I am not talking about track work). What may have happened here was that the penny pinchers were at work and quite honestly I doubt if they know anything about the Brighton Line let alone the system itself. What were they in state of panic over Cuomo's complaining about the overtime all over the media even the worst offender was the Long Island Railroad and the governor himself should take responsibility as he in charge of the agency and therefore helped settle the contracts which allowed the overtime?

If you read the phony media, you will notice that the talk is about new contracts and how overtime has to be curtailed. I seem to have heard this talk going back 60 years and the end result is always that all it is "hot air". The same elected officials who did the most complaining are the same ones who negotiated the contracts over the years only to go through the same ritual with the next contract and the contract after that and after that.

That's my opinion.

It is Monday and I just checked trip planner for this morning 11:57 AM,  and according to the trip planner, I have to ride a northbound train to Newkirk Plaza so that I can ride a southbound train to Sheepshead Bay today,. 

If a planned service change is cancelled, then trip planner should be updated to show the corrected change immediately. Since the change was posted here, then why was it not posted on trip planner unless the person who updates trip planner works Monday - Friday and thanks to the scared penny pinchers, it has to wait until the person comes in on Monday morning.   If this is what happening, then it is no wonder that riders question the accuracy of the MTA providing information as to what is running and what is not?

I will be posting a follow up on this change later this afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALTERNATIVE SERVICE
May 25 - 27, Sat to Mon, 12:01 AM to 6 AM
(S) 42 Street Shuttle service runs overnight

Could there be a possible (7) train G.O this weekend? Is not up on the website.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

ALTERNATIVE SERVICE
May 25 - 27, Sat to Mon, 12:01 AM to 6 AM
(S) 42 Street Shuttle service runs overnight

Could there be a possible (7) train G.O this weekend? Is not up on the website.
 

It’s likely due to the (2)(5) switch in The Bronx that weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the weekends in June so far:

(1) No service between 96 and 242 Streets: June 1-3, 15-17

(1)(2)(3) All Downtown service is express from 34 St to Chambers St: June 8 (Sat only)

(2) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 8 (Sat only), 15-16

(2) No service between Gun Hill Road and 241 St: June 1-2

(2) No service between Franklin and Flatbush Avs: June 15-17

(2)(3) Service is local between 34 St and Chambers St; Downtown: *May 31- June 3, Uptown: June 14-17

(3)(4) No service between Utica and New Lots Avs: June 8-10

(4)(5) Service is local between 14 St and Brooklyn Bridge: *May 31- June 3, 14-17

(5) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 15-16

(4)(5)(6) All Uptown service is express from 42 to 125 Sts: *June 14-17

(6) Pelham Bay Park bound trains run express in the Bronx: *May 31-June 3 

(7) Flushing bound trains run express in Queens: *May 31- June 3

(A) No service between 181 and 207 Sts: *June 7-9

(A)(C) Reduced service: June 8-9

(A)(C) All Manhattan bound service is express in Brooklyn: *June 14-17

(D) Reduced service: June 1-2, 8-9

(D) Service operates via Sea Beach in Brooklyn: *June 7-10

(D)(N)(R) All southbound service runs express from Atlantic Av to 36 St: *May 31-June 3

(E) Operates to 179 St; No service to Jamaica Center: June 8-10

(E)(F)(R) All service is express in Queens; Manhattand bound: June 1-3, Queens bound: June 8-10

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: June 15-17, 22-24

(G) Church Av bound trains skip Bedford-Nostrand Avs: *June 7-10

(J) No service between Crescent St and Jamaica Center: June 1-2

(N) Reduced service: June 1-2, 8-9

(N) No service between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza: June 15-16, 22-23

(Q) Reduced service: June 1-2

(R) No service south of 36 St, Brooklyn; No late night service: *May 31-June 3

(R) Service is extended to Jamaica-179 St: June 15-16

(S) (Franklin Ave) No daytime service between Prospect Park and Fulton St: June 1-2

*Begins around 10pm Friday evening

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

For the weekends in June so far:

(2) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 8 (Sat only), 15-16

(5) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 15-16

Hey, here's a crazy thought! Reduce the (4) to 12-minute intervals, have the (5) run to Flatbush Avenue to compensate for this and the reduction in (2) service (the (3) and (4) will still serve their usual routes, just with a reduction in the latter), and stop screwing over White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue riders. Seriously, as painful as it is to access Jerome Avenue stations, it pales in comparison to trying to reach stations on the other two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lex said:

Hey, here's a crazy thought! Reduce the (4) to 12-minute intervals, have the (5) run to Flatbush Avenue to compensate for this and the reduction in (2) service (the (3) and (4) will still serve their usual routes, just with a reduction in the latter), and stop screwing over White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue riders. Seriously, as painful as it is to access Jerome Avenue stations, it pales in comparison to trying to reach stations on the other two.

Yeah no I dont want the (4) running 12 minute intervals. The (5) is a supplemental route, you guys can transfer at East 180th St or Bowling Green if you want to continue service to Brooklyn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

For the weekends in June so far:

(1) No service between 96 and 242 Streets: June 1-3, 15-17

(1)(2)(3) All Downtown service is express from 34 St to Chambers St: June 8 (Sat only)

(2) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 8 (Sat only), 15-16

(2) No service between Gun Hill Road and 241 St: June 1-2

(2) No service between Franklin and Flatbush Avs: June 15-17

(2)(3) Service is local between 34 St and Chambers St; Downtown: *May 31- June 3, Uptown: June 14-17

(3)(4) No service between Utica and New Lots Avs: June 8-10

(4)(5) Service is local between 14 St and Brooklyn Bridge: *May 31- June 3, 14-17

(5) Reduced Service: June 1-2, 15-16

(4)(5)(6) All Uptown service is express from 42 to 125 Sts: *June 14-17

(6) Pelham Bay Park bound trains run express in the Bronx: *May 31-June 3 

(7) Flushing bound trains run express in Queens: *May 31- June 3

(A) No service between 181 and 207 Sts: *June 7-9

(A)(C) Reduced service: June 8-9

(A)(C) All Manhattan bound service is express in Brooklyn: *June 14-17

(D) Reduced service: June 1-2, 8-9

(D) Service operates via Sea Beach in Brooklyn: *June 7-10

(D)(N)(R) All southbound service runs express from Atlantic Av to 36 St: *May 31-June 3

(E) Operates to 179 St; No service to Jamaica Center: June 8-10

(E)(F)(R) All service is express in Queens; Manhattand bound: June 1-3, Queens bound: June 8-10

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: June 15-17, 22-24

(G) Church Av bound trains skip Bedford-Nostrand Avs: *June 7-10

(J) No service between Crescent St and Jamaica Center: June 1-2

(N) Reduced service: June 1-2, 8-9

(N) No service between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza: June 15-16, 22-23

(Q) Reduced service: June 1-2

(R) No service south of 36 St, Brooklyn; No late night service: *May 31-June 3

(R) Service is extended to Jamaica-179 St: June 15-16

(S) (Franklin Ave) No daytime service between Prospect Park and Fulton St: June 1-2

*Begins around 10pm Friday evening

Oh great they want to do the no (1) between 96th St and 242nd St again...wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah no I dont want the (4) running 12 minute intervals. The (5) is a supplemental route, you guys can transfer at East 180th St or Bowling Green if you want to continue service to Brooklyn.

The fact that you said this means that you completely missed the point.

In all honesty, I don't want the (4) running at such paltry intervals, either, but if either the (4) or (5) should see cuts in service, it's definitely not the one serving harder-to-reach areas (in other words, the (5)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, RR503 said:

The salient point here is supremely crappy terminal dispatching. Here's the supplement for today; none of those gaps were in any way supposed to happen. 

yXiXHPH.png

Then the question is, are these trains arriving to their terminals on something resembling on-time? Given what we're seeing, I doubt it.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Hey, here's a crazy thought! Reduce the (4) to 12-minute intervals, have the (5) run to Flatbush Avenue to compensate for this and the reduction in (2) service (the (3) and (4) will still serve their usual routes, just with a reduction in the latter), and stop screwing over White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue riders. Seriously, as painful as it is to access Jerome Avenue stations, it pales in comparison to trying to reach stations on the other two.

The problem is that they don't want to nerf the (4) unless absolutely necessary, especially when the Yankees are in town, which they are for the weekend of June 1st. Even during the many weekends where (4) service was reduced for Jerome Ave work, the reduction was only in place north of 125 Street or Burnside Av, the area impacted by the slowdowns. As the (4) is the primary Lexington Ave line, it gets priority over the (5) unfortunately, which is why the latter is always either truncated to E 180 Street or has its service levels reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh great they want to do the no (1) between 96th St and 242nd St again...wonderful.

What's wrong with this G.O. is it because (1) trains are ending at 96th st and it is inconvenient for people who live along that line that have to deal with no trains from the Bronx all the way to the upper west side of Manhattan. They can't just run the (1) in two sections or could they. You think they are going to be doing track maintenance along the whole section of the line north of 96th st, but if not, then it will be unnecessary for them to close the line all the way to 242nd st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

What's wrong with this G.O. is it because (1) trains are ending at 96th st and it is inconvenient for people who live along that line that have to deal with no trains from the Bronx all the way to the upper west side of Manhattan. They can't just run the (1) in two sections or could they. You think they are going to be doing track maintenance along the whole section of the line north of 96th st, but if not, then it will be unnecessary for them to close the line all the way to 242nd st.

Because then it becomes a pain. Now, almost everyone wants to board the (A) to where it gets crushloaded and then try to squish on the shuttle bus. It's no fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.