Planned Subway Service Changes

@RR503 From signal problems:

The introduction of 10pm start times for overnight work has led to work trains being dispatched from storage yards as early as 8 PM in many cases, which requires train service to close early on a lot of lines. The most impacted portion of the system is the 4th Avenue Corridor where work trains originating from 38th Street Yard [between 9th Ave and 36th St on the D] must traverse the 4th Avenue express track between 36th Street and DeKalb Avenue regardless of their ultimate destination. This diverts Manhattan-bound D and N service to the local track, which if full service were to operate, would require the B, D, N and Q all use the same track at DeKalb Avenue. They won’t fit, so northbound B service — which again is redundant at every station on the line—ends earlier than usual under these conditions — about two hours earlier — to provide the needed track capacity at DeKalb Avenue for all of the 38th Street Yard work trains to go to their various jobs throughout the city. Note that often this work is on the B line itself, for example on the Concourse line last week.

So how are we making this as least impactful as possible? In a lot of ways. In addition to ending the redundant B service early when needed, we have built additional tracks at Jamaica Yard in Queens and Linden Yard in Brooklyn to relocate work trains for storage, loading, and unloading. We are also staging work trains in other yards to the extent possible and altering work train routing.  All of these extensive efforts have allowed us to do a massive amount of repair, maintenance and improvement work with reduced impact on customers.

The additional tracks at Jamaica Yard can be seen here:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrextralist/MTA Transit Diagrams/Schematic Track & Interlocking Diagrams (2019-01).pdf

They went into service on January 20.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 From signal problems:

The additional tracks at Jamaica Yard can be seen here:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrextralist/MTA Transit Diagrams/Schematic Track & Interlocking Diagrams (2019-01).pdf

They went into service on January 20.

It's great to see that they're aware of the issue, but they're nowhere near solving it. We still have a bunch of Canarsie and QB-bound work trains out of 38, and we still don't have good ways of accessing Midtown/CPW lines. I remember a bunch of mornings during the recent Concourse FasTrack where service got really messed up because work trains were clearing late and were in the line of fire all the way down to Brooklyn. I'd be interested to see what other cities do here; this level of pandemonium is surely not normal in most cities.

This all, of course, comes back to the basic issue here, which is work efficiency. To be sure, allocation and operation of work trains is part of the issue, but until more structural issues in MOW are addressed, I fear that we're going to suffer this to no end. 

37 minutes ago, RR503 said:

It's great to see that they're aware of the issue, but they're nowhere near solving it. We still have a bunch of Canarsie and QB-bound work trains out of 38, and we still don't have good ways of accessing Midtown/CPW lines. I remember a bunch of mornings during the recent Concourse FasTrack where service got really messed up because work trains were clearing late and were in the line of fire all the way down to Brooklyn. I'd be interested to see what other cities do here; this level of pandemonium is surely not normal in most cities.

This all, of course, comes back to the basic issue here, which is work efficiency. To be sure, allocation and operation of work trains is part of the issue, but until more structural issues in MOW are addressed, I fear that we're going to suffer this to no end. 

I am not sure how much it would help, but Pitkin could be a good place to stage work equipment from. From what I have heard, the yard is underused, as evidenced by its use for the storage of some of the museum fleet and for the R42s. This would make it easier for GOs in the Rockaways, Fulton, Culver and 8th and 6th Avenues. They really need to expand Linden Yard, which would help Eastern Parkway and the BMT Eastern.

I fully agree on the points you make. Do you think connecting 38th to the Culver, which could involve moving West End service to Culver, could help as they could easily bypass via Culver Express? Or, perhaps, a flyover from the yard to West End Middle, and a flyover to Coney Island Yard?

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I am not sure how much it would help, but Pitkin could be a good place to stage work equipment from. From what I have heard, the yard is underused, as evidenced by its use for the storage of some of the museum fleet and for the R42s. This would make it easier for GOs in the Rockaways, Fulton, Culver and 8th and 6th Avenues. They really need to expand Linden Yard, which would help Eastern Parkway and the BMT Eastern.

I fully agree on the points you make. Do you think connecting 38th to the Culver, which could involve moving West End service to Culver, could help as they could easily bypass via Culver Express? Or, perhaps, a flyover from the yard to West End Middle, and a flyover to Coney Island Yard?

Agree on Pitkin. It’s further from Manhattan, but the relative ease of getting from there to, say, 8th outweighs that disadvantage — and we need to reduce congestion on 4th anyway. This is definitely something that should be explored for 8th/Fulton CBTC. 

With Linden, you’re gonna want some better way to head up the L than reverse running through Atlantic — this may be the time to bite the bullet on an Atlantic rebuild.  

A Culver-West End bypass would certainly be useful, but I’m not so sure that it’s immediately necessary. Just leveraging Linden, Jamaica, Pitkin, Coney Island and maybe expanding 207 would get you most of the way there on the B division. 

41 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Agree on Pitkin. It’s further from Manhattan, but the relative ease of getting from there to, say, 8th outweighs that disadvantage — and we need to reduce congestion on 4th anyway. This is definitely something that should be explored for 8th/Fulton CBTC. 

With Linden, you’re gonna want some better way to head up the L than reverse running through Atlantic — this may be the time to bite the bullet on an Atlantic rebuild.  

A Culver-West End bypass would certainly be useful, but I’m not so sure that it’s immediately necessary. Just leveraging Linden, Jamaica, Pitkin, Coney Island and maybe expanding 207 would get you most of the way there on the B division. 

Is there any space at Coney Island or 207th for expansion?

14 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Is there any space at Coney Island or 207th for expansion?

I’m sure you can rearrange some things at Coney Island to get another track or two in. 207 would require some real expansion, but if I’ve ever seen a justifiable case for eminent domain, this’d be it. 

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I’m sure you can rearrange some things at Coney Island to get another track or two in. 207 would require some real expansion, but if I’ve ever seen a justifiable case for eminent domain, this’d be it. 

Fair enough.

For next month:

(1) No service between 14 St and South Ferry: April 12-15

(2) Reduce service: April 6-7, 13-14

(2)(5) Downtown service is express from East 180 St to 3 Av-149 St: April 13-14

(2)(3) Service is local in Manhattan: April 6-8, *13-15    *local south of 34 St

(3) No late night service: April 5-8

(4) Reduced service north of Burnside Av: April 6-7

(4) Woodlawn bound trains run express from Burnside to Woodlawn: April 6-7

(4) No service between Bowling Green and Utica/New Lots Avs: April 12-15

(4)(5) Service is local in both directions between Grand Central and Union Sq: April 13-15

(5) Dyre Av bound service runs express from East 180 St to Dyre Av: April 5-8

(5) Reduced service: April 13-14

(6) Split service at 125 St: April 13-15, 20-22

(7) No service between Main St and Willets Point: April 13-15, 20-22

(A)(C) Uptown service is express from Canal to 59 Sts: April 5-8

(A)(C) Reduced service: April 13-14

(A)(C) Downtown service is express from 168 to 125 Sts, 59 to Canal Sts; All queens bound service is express in Brooklyn: April 13-15

(D) Reduced service: April 6-7

(D) Operates via Sea Beach in Brooklyn, both directions: April 5-8, 12-15

(D)(N)(R) All service is express in Brooklyn from Atlantic-Barclays to 36 St: April 5-8

(E) Operates via 63 St, both directions and runs via the (F)  to 2 Av (No service to World Trade Center): April 5-8

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: April 6-8, 13-15

(G) No service between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq: April 5-8, 12-15

(J) No service between Hewes St and Broad St: April 5-8

(J) No service between Crescent St and Jamaica Center: April 13-14

(L) Split service between at Broadway Junction: April 13-14

(M) No service between Myrtle Av and Essex St: April 5-8

(M) Service is suspended: April 13-14, 20-21

(N) Reduced service: April 6-7

(N) No service between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza: April 6-7, 13-14

(Q) Reduced service: April 6-7

(Q) Manhattan bound service runs express from Kings Hwy to Prospect Park: April 13-14, 20-21

(R) No late night service between Whitehall St and Atlantic-Barclays: April 12-15

(SIR) No service between Hugenot and Tottenville: Apr 6-8, 13-15

Notes: 

Court Sq bound (G) trains will bypass Flushing Av from April 8 to May 6

Winthrop Av (2)- Flatbush Av bound platform is closed through July 2019

Eastchester Av (5)- Dyre Av bound platform is closed through September 2019

Astoria Blvd (N)(W)  is closed through December 2019

168 St (1) is closed through early 2020

Edited by S78 via Hylan
Made some additions and corrections.

(1) No service between 137 st and 242nd st: April 19-22

(6) Pelham Bay park bound trains run express between 3 av-138th st and Hunts pt av: April 12-15, 19-22

(A)(C) Manhattan Bound trains run express between Utica Av and Hoyt-Schermerhorn st: April 20-21

(D)(N)(R) All service is express in Brooklyn from Atlantic Av Barclays Center to 36th st: April 19-22

(E) runs via 63rd st/broadway to Whitehall St: April 13-14. Not On MTA website yet, but it is underneath the (N) train reduced service advisory 

(E)(F)(R) All service is express in Queens from Forest Hills 71st Av to Queens Plaza. *Coney Island Bound (F) trains run via the (E) from Roosevelt Av to Canal st, then via the (A)(C) lines to Jay st metrotech: April 19-22. This is not on the MTA website yet, but it is underneath the (G) train G.O Advisory.

(E) trains run express between Union Turnpike and Jamaica Van wyck: April 19-22

(F) runs via 53rd St/8th av/Cranberry. Jamaica Bound trains runs via 53rd st only: April 13-14. Not On MTA website yet, but underneath the (A)(C) reduced service advisory and (G) train G.O advisory.

(F) trains run express between Union Turnpike and Parsons Blvd: April 19-22

(F) Coney Island Bound trains run express from Jay st-Metrotech to Church Av: April 19-22

(G) trains suspended. Shuttle buses replace service between Court Sq and Jay st metrotech.

(J) No trains Between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center: April 20-21

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 More work stupidity. I just cherrypicked this example:

Always love it when people decide that they can never share track access...

This is what I mean when I complain about work inefficiency. There's nothing stopping them from doing CBTC work on one stretch of the OOS track and track replacement on the other. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, Union Tpke said:

Theres still no ETA on when those Sea Beach stations are going to reopen? 8th Av is really screwing them over...

What work would be happening to split the (6) into two sections this weekend? Given that trains run to 125th Street in one section, and past it on the express tracks on the other section, where would they be actually working that would require this split? 

Probably in one of the tubes, the Bronx-bound one more likely given the direction of the Pelham express runs in effect. If single-track operations are in place in the Pelham-Lexington tunnel, Pelham Bay-bound trains will not be able to access the northbound local track until just before Hunts Point Av.

1 hour ago, Enjineer said:

What work would be happening to split the (6) into two sections this weekend? Given that trains run to 125th Street in one section, and past it on the express tracks on the other section, where would they be actually working that would require this split? 

One of the local tracks at 125 St is out of service (the Pelham Bay Park-bound one i think). The track must be out of service from 125 St to 3 Av-138 St.

So I think the (6) is single-tracking from 3 Av-138 St to 125 St on the Brooklyn Bridge-bound track, hence Pelham Bay Park trains having to go express from 3 Av to Hunts Point Av due to lack of switches to get the train back to the local track.

Previous general orders had the (6) suspended from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge, ran the (5) all weekend and local (on 8 minute headways) from Dyre Av to Bowling Green, leaving the (4) express during the daytime and evening hours.

41 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

So I think the (6) is single-tracking from 3 Av-138 St to 125 St on the Brooklyn Bridge-bound track, hence Pelham Bay Park trains having to go express from 3 Av to Hunts Point Av due to lack of switches to get the train back to the local track.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

(1) No service between 137 st and 242nd st: April 27-28

(2) Uptown trains run express from 3 Av-149 St to E 180 St, the Bronx: April 27-28

(4) trains reduced service north of Burnside av: April 27-28

(4) Woodlawn Bound trains run express between Burnside Av and Mosholu Pkwy: April 27-28

(5) Uptown trains run express from 3 Av-149 St to E 180 St, the Bronx: April 27-28 

(5) Eastchester-bound trains skip Morris Park, Pelham Pkwy and Baychester Av, the Bronx: April 27-28

(A) trains split service: April 27-28

Operates as follows:

1. Between 207 st and Euclid av

2. Between Howard Beach-JFK Airport and Mott Av

Note: At Howard Beach-JFK Airport, (A) trains board at the Manhattan Bound Platform.

(D) Coney Island Bound trains run express from Fordham rd to 167th st: April 26-29

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: April 27-28

(F)(G) Coney Island Bound/Church Av bound trains run express from Smith 9th st to Church Av: April 26-29

(Q) 96th st bound trains run express between kings hwy and prospect park Brooklyn: April 27-28

(L) No trains between Rockaway Pkwy and Broadway Junction: Mar 30-31, April 6-7

(D)(N)(R) All trains express from Atlantic Av Barclays Center to 36th St Brooklyn: April 27-28

(N) trains run via the (D) between 36th st and Stillwell Av: April 27-28

FASTRACK PROGRAM
Apr 15 - 19  •  Apr 22 - 26
Mon to Fri, from 9:30 PM to 5 AM
(F) Service between Jay St-MetroTech and Church Av in Brooklyn is replaced by free shuttle buses 

(F) trains run in two sections: 
1. Between 179 St and Jay St-MetroTech and via the (A) to/from Hoyt Schermerhorn 
2. Between Church Av and Stillwell Av

Buses replace (F) service between Jay St-MetroTech and Church Av in both directions making stops at Bergen St, Carroll St, Smith-9 Sts, 4 Av-9 St, 7 Av, 15 St-Prospect Park, and Fort Hamilton Pkwy. 

FASTRACK PROGRAM
Apr 15 - 18  •  Apr 22 - 25
Mon to Thu, from 9:30 PM to 11:30 PM
(C) Service is replaced by (A) trains between 168 St, Manhattan and Euclid Av, Brooklyn  

(A) trains make all local stops between 168 St and Euclid Av. 

Reminder: (C) trains do not run overnight. 

• 2 weeks later...

For Next Month:

(1) Downtown Service is express from 34th st Penn station to Chambers st: May 3-6

(2) Manhattan Bound Service is express from 241st to E180th St.Reduced service: May 4-5

(4) Reduced Service: May 11-12

(6) Manhattan Bound Service is express from Hunts pt av to 3 Av-138th st: May 3-6, *11-13: runs in two sections

Pelham Bay park bound trains run express from 3 Av-138th st to Hunts pt av: May 10-13

(7) No service between Mets Willets Point and Main St: May 3-6

(A) No service between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard beach JFK airport: May 4-5

No service between Rockaway Blvd and Far Rockaway. All trains serve Lefferts Blvd only: May 10-13, 17-20

(D) Coney Island Bound trains run express from Fordham rd to 167th st: May 3-6 Reduced service: Until May 20

(D)(N)(R) All trains express from Atlantic Ave Barclays Center to 36th St: Until May 20

(E)(F) trains run local in Queens: May 4-6. 

(F) Manhattan Bound trains run express from Avenue X to Smith 9th st: May 10-11

(J) No trains east of Broadway Junction: May 4-5, 11-12

(L) Reduced Service: Until Summer 2020

(M) trains extended to 96th St-2nd av (Q) train station: Until Summer 2020

(N)(Q)(R): All downtown trains skip 49th St: May 4-5

(N) No service between 86th St and StillWell Av: May 4-5

Reduced service until May 12

Astoria Bound trains run express from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria Ditmars Blvd: May 11-12

(Q) Reduced service: May 4-5

96th St bound trains run express from Kings Hwy to Prospect Park: Until May 19

(R) Manhattan bound trains run express from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza: May 11-12

(S) No shuttle service between Beach 90th st and Broad Channel. Trains rerouted to Mott Av operating every 15 minutes: May 10-13, 17-20

More Changes will come up. Any one can add on to the list