Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (R) shuttle as it currently is, requires at least one transfer to get to/from destinations along Broadway and 6 Avenue. But for people coming or going to 8 Avenue, 7 Avenue, or Lexington Avenue stations and stations that the (N) and (D) don’t reach, it requires two transfers if not three (when late night service changes knock out the usual options). Among the stations not reachable without two transfers during late nights only:

• All of the (A) stations, excluding the ones served by the (D) or (N)
  • All of the IRT stations, excluding the ones served by the (D) and (N)
  • All of the stations exclusive to the (7), (E), (F), (G), (J), (L), and (S)

When you’re looking at 20-minute headways, 2 transfers isn’t very palatable, and an (R) that at least makes it to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center would be so much more useful.

Which is why I would permanently have the late night (R) to go Whitehall (unless my idea for a new, full-time (Z) train that went 95th-Broadway Junction weekdays and 95th-Metropolitan late nights and weekends ever came to fruition).   A late-night (R) to Whitehall covers a considerable chunk of transfers in Brooklyn (plus the (1) in lower Manhattan) and would likely work. 

Which is why I would permanently have the late night (R) to go Whitehall (unless my idea for a new, full-time (Z) train that went 95th-Broadway Junction weekdays and 95th-Metropolitan late nights and weekends ever came to fruition).   A late-night (R) to Whitehall covers a considerable chunk of transfers in Brooklyn (plus the (1) in lower Manhattan) and would likely work. 

Let's just stick with the late-night (R) idea. That sounds better. And keep in mind that an extension to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center from 36 Street isn’t going to cost much financially, but an extension to Whitehall Street–South Ferry will. The one-stop extension adds a transfer to the (2), (4), and (Q). But additional transfers to the (1), (A), and (F) may warrant a study of the benefits of further extension to the tip of Manhattan.

The R shuttle is so horrible, as are most shuttles (like the Rockaway Park S shuttle that leaves Broad Channel 1 minute before the packed Far Rockaway A arrives, during the height of beach season.  Oh it's only 20 minutes for the next one!)  When there's a southbound N train at 25th St at 11:55pm due to arrive 36th at 11:56:30pm, but also an R shuttle that is due to originate 36th at 11:56pm, guess which train the MTA puts first?  That's right, the R shuttle.  So everyone on the N train misses the R shuttle, and has to wait 21 minutes for the next R shuttle at 12:18am.  The shuttle needs to run at least Whitehall-95th, so that when the D and N are delayed, passengers don't "just" miss the shuttle after waiting over 20 minutes for the D or N. 

(And let's not forget the single-track shuttles that have been going on most weeknights for about a year, 59th-95th only.  Sometimes it's due to Bay Ridge track work like track replacement, so I can understand that.  But what I don't understand is when it's instead because of work between Atlantic and 59th, like Ditmars-bound N and 205th-bound D are on the express track to Atlantic during late nights, so the R can't turn at 36th like it usually does.  During those scenarios, the shuttle must be extended to Whitehall, not shortened to 59th.)

Edited by RtrainBlues

The R shuttle is so horrible, as are most shuttles (like the Rockaway Park S shuttle that leaves Broad Channel 1 minute before the packed Far Rockaway A arrives, during the height of beach season.  Oh it's only 20 minutes for the next one!)  When there's a southbound N train at 25th St at 11:55pm due to arrive 36th at 11:56:30pm, but also an R shuttle that is due to originate 36th at 11:56pm, guess which train the MTA puts first?  That's right, the R shuttle.  So everyone on the N train misses the R shuttle, and has to wait 21 minutes for the next R shuttle at 12:18am.  The shuttle needs to run at least Whitehall-95th, so that when the D and N are delayed, passengers don't "just" miss the shuttle after waiting over 20 minutes for the D or N. 

(And let's not forget the single-track shuttles that have been going on most weeknights for about a year, 59th-95th only.  Sometimes it's due to Bay Ridge track work like track replacement, so I can understand that.  But what I don't understand is when it's instead because of work between Atlantic and 59th, like Ditmars-bound N and 205th-bound D are on the express track to Atlantic during late nights, so the R can't turn at 36th like it usually does.  During those scenarios, the shuttle must be extended to Whitehall, not shortened to 59th.)

Extending it to Whitehall st would need more trains and crews unlike to 59 St. Considering the merge with the  (D) and  (N) and flagging the shuttle would be unreliable and also you need to consider if theres a G.O that requires Astoria bound  (N) running over the bridge. 

Ah thanks for the clarification.

In the event of a blackout or loss of power to one station (i.e let's say Queensboro Plaza), doesn't that mean that both the (7)(N) and (Q) trains have to suspended because trains will lose power since they are connected to the third rail? How come the loss of power at East 180 St only affected Signals but not the third rail?

Ah thanks for the clarification.

In the event of a blackout or loss of power to one station (i.e let's say Queensboro Plaza), doesn't that mean that both the (7)(N) and (Q) trains have to suspended because trains will lose power since they are connected to the third rail? How come the loss of power at East 180 St only affected Signals but not the third rail?

If the loss of power to your computer made it shut off, but not anything else in your house, I'd look for a disconnected cable, damaged cable, or blown fuse. The MTA, running such a massive system, would be smart enough to not connect all their powered equipment in a series. Consult your nearest elementary science textbook on circuits and electricity. (Keywords: parallel, serial, series, circuit)

Edited by CenSin

^You are half correct sir. However, only some of the MTA's equipment is connected by different power lines. Such as the Williamsburg bridge, the (J) got stalled on there due to loss of power to both the third rail and the signals around it. So excuse me if I don't know all of the electrical systems of the MTA stations like the back of my hand.

And to add on to that, there are two differences that show loss of power:

If it's "due to the loss of power at <station>" then that means that only certain equipment was affected.

If it's "due to a loss of ConEd power at <station>" then that means that the whole power at the station has failed, such as that time when ConEd power was lost in the Jeromeulm Tubes.

^You are half correct sir. However, only some of the MTA's equipment is connected by different power lines. Such as the Williamsburg bridge, the (J) got stalled on there due to loss of power to both the third rail and the signals around it. So excuse me if I don't know all of the electrical systems of the MTA stations like the back of my hand.

And to add on to that, there are two differences that show loss of power:

If it's "due to the loss of power at <station>" then that means that only certain equipment was affected.

If it's "due to a loss of ConEd power at <station>" then that means that the whole power at the station has failed, such as that time when ConEd power was lost in the Jeromeulm Tubes.

you mean Joralemon Tubes.

The weekend of the 16th will be an interesting and busy one for the B divison. Major changes include-

(N) via west end in both directions

No (D) in Brooklyn - runs between Chambers and 205th via 8 Ave express, (N) covers west end

(A)(C) via Rutgers

(E) via 6 av/63rd

No QBL express

Uptown (A)(C) via CPW express

The weekend of the 16th will be an interesting and busy one for the B divison. Major changes include-

No (D) in Brooklyn - runs between Chambers and 205th via 8 Ave express, (N) covers west end

(A)(C) via Rutgers

(E) via 6 av/63rd

No QBL express

I am so railfanning that weekend...

(A)(C) via Rutgers

(E) via 6 av/63rd

No QBL express

That W4 St junction is going to be put into work.

That W4 St junction is going to be put into work.

With the amount of use that these switches are getting, does anyone still think that the IND overbuilt this junction? A lot of the flexibility is turning out to be quite useful. And we’re trying to save money by foregoing useful functionality like this in the future (hint: Grand Street and Second Avenue)?

With the amount of use that these switches are getting, does anyone still think that the IND overbuilt this junction? A lot of the flexibility is turning out to be quite useful. And we’re trying to save money by foregoing useful functionality like this in the future (hint: Grand Street and Second Avenue)?

A lot of the IND was overbuilt, which has actually been helpful over the years.

Probably what they should have done for last weekend was suspend the (E) and have the (M) run an extended weekday route to Jamaica Center (which it actually did do briefly after Sandy) for the weekend.  

So you want to suspend a 10-car train to run a 4-car (maybe a maximum of 8 cars at most) train? Why should they do that?