Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its only one Arnine train. Plus 6 Av is busy during the holiday season. And then you have Rockerfeller Center which has the Christmas tree. Makes sense to run it there in the first place.

Oh I agree, but if this G.O. is going to disrupt it then I would put it on a line where that is not the case.

Other option to me if you CAN keep it on 6th Avenue is to have it also run via the Willy B to Myrtle or Broadway Junction (using the express track after Marcy both ways since it would be the only train using that track) so it doesn't disrupt the (F) terminating at 2nd Avenue.  

Oh I agree, but if this G.O. is going to disrupt it then I would put it on a line where that is not the case.

Other option to me if you CAN keep it on 6th Avenue is to have it also run via the Willy B to Myrtle or Broadway Junction (using the express track after Marcy both ways since it would be the only train using that track) so it doesn't disrupt the (F) terminating at 2nd Avenue.

No this again...

Yep... Quite the extensive GO for the time of year... I think you can kiss that Holiday R1 goodbye too...

This will not affect the Holiday Train. A few years ago, the C train terminated at Second Avenue while the Holiday train was running and everything worked out fine.

That's possible, but elsewhere I suggested having the vintage train from Broad to Broadway Junction on the (J) since you also have a lot of shopping in lower Manhattan.  This would also have it stop at the Fulton Transportation Center that the (MTA) could highlight as well.

This is completely asinine. While there is some shopping in Lower Manhattan, the great majority of shopping and attractions during the Holiday Season is in midtown.

As far as operations planning is concerned, the Vintage Train will just serve as one of the additional sets running out of 2nd Avenue.

No

No this again...

You know, just saying "no" without any reasoning and facts to back it up doesn't endow your argument with any more validity than the one of the person you are responding to. 

Its only one Arnine train. Plus 6 Av is busy during the holiday season. And then you have Rockerfeller Center which has the Christmas tree. Makes sense to run it there in the first place.

They could make it two trains by adding the Triplexes. Broadway would be an alternative if 6th isn't available.

This will not affect the Holiday Train. A few years ago, the C train terminated at Second Avenue while the Holiday train was running and everything worked out fine.

As far as operations planning is concerned, the Vintage Train will just serve as one of the additional sets running out of 2nd Avenue.

I agree they can still fit in the holiday train - It's very popular and I doubt they'd scrap it. 

I'm not sure it will "just serve as one of the additional sets" though. The train usually spends a fair amount of time at 2nd ave between runs. I'm not sure they could or would want to turn it around as fast as they'd turn your average F train around. 

Still - if we're assuming they're running the extra F trains to supplement the missing D trains on 6th ave - we can safely assume they won't be adding more than 6tph. A solo track at 2nd ave can easily turn 6tph. The holiday train is only one run in each direction every 90 minutes. 

They could make it two trains by adding the Triplexes. Broadway would be an alternative if 6th isn't available.

I highly doubt they'd run two holiday trains. Theoretically it could run on broadway I suppose - Only 12tph running through the 60 st tube that that would be the only bottleneck. I wonder if they'd fumigate and turn at canal or run it all the way down to whitehall. 

This is completely asinine. While there is some shopping in Lower Manhattan, the great majority of shopping and attractions during the Holiday Season is in midtown.

You know, just saying "no" without any reasoning and facts to back it up doesn't endow your argument with any more validity than the one of the person you are responding to. 

Of course it would be better if it were on 6th Avenue for obvious reasons.  Running it on Nassau would be strictly if it disrupted 6th Avenue too much.

As for either way extending it to Myrtle or Broadway Junction (again, using the express track after/before Marcy in both directions), that would be simply so it can terminate where it would NOT interfere with the extra (F) trains terminating at 2nd Avenue and at whichever is easier (Myrtle or Broadway Junction) to terminate.

6112 and 6095 do not have the capacity required to run the route without incurring long boarding times. Also, the D-9 won't run the 2nd Avenue-Queens Plaza route because door controls won't trainline.

Doesn't mean that they won't make an appearance however..

Of course it would be better if it were on 6th Avenue for obvious reasons.  Running it on Nassau would be strictly if it disrupted 6th Avenue too much.

As for either way extending it to Myrtle or Broadway Junction (again, using the express track after/before Marcy in both directions), that would be simply so it can terminate where it would NOT interfere with the extra (F) trains terminating at 2nd Avenue and at whichever is easier (Myrtle or Broadway Junction) to terminate.

You seem to have missed the point that 2nd Avenue can handle both the Holiday Train and extra F service

• 1 month later...

Its work on the express tracks, the (D) and (N) are all local

And also the fact that they don’t just randomly decide to park trains on the express tracks to impede normal late-night (R) service, since it’s more expensive. There must be a major storm of some sort, and being announced 30 days ahead, it can’t be a storm.

An interesting upcoming change:

(R) Shuttle train service is extended to Whitehall St

Late Nights, 12:01 AM to 6:30 AM, Sat and Sun, Jan 30 - 31

12:01 AM to 5 AM, Monday, Feb 1

Service operates between 95 St and Whitehall St.

Track work on the 4th Ave express tracks or train storage on the 4th Ave express tracks I assume.

And also the fact that they don’t just randomly decide to park trains on the express tracks to impede normal late-night (R) service, since it’s more expensive. There must be a major storm of some sort, and being announced 30 days ahead, it can’t be a storm.

Its most likely just work on 59 Street.They've converted all the platform edges to the ADA tile except the Manhattan bound express track (which the (R) uses late nights).

Since the (R) would have to move over to the local track, it can't terminate at 36 Street (fumigation would mess up the (D)(N) - the reason it runs on the express track in the first place.)

The last time they did this (to create the groove the ADA tiles sit in) the (R) was running as a one track OPTO shuttle from 95 Street to 59 Street on the Bay Ridge track so they could do survey work on the platform edge at Bay Ridge Avenue (also getting ADA tile- thanks to itmaybeokay for that info) and track work near 77 Street.Obviously at that point the work didn't affect the late night (R).

I would assume during regular hours the (N) is running local.

Edited by Around the Horn

An interesting upcoming change:

(R) Shuttle train service is extended to Whitehall St

Late Nights, 12:01 AM to 6:30 AM, Sat and Sun, Jan 30 - 31

12:01 AM to 5 AM, Monday, Feb 1

Service operates between 95 St and Whitehall St.

I know from subsequent posts why it's being done here, but this is one change that ought to be made permanent as it allows the (R) to cover all of Brooklyn and allow for a one-seat ride to all IRT transfers except the (6).

Its most likely just work on 59 Street.They've converted all the platform edges to the ADA tile except the Manhattan bound express track (which the (R) uses late nights).

Since the (R) would have to move over to the local track, it can't terminate at 36 Street (fumigation would mess up the (D)(N) - the reason it runs on the express track in the first place.)

The last time they did this (to create the groove the ADA tiles sit in) the (R) was running as a one track OPTO shuttle from 95 Street to 59 Street on the Bay Ridge track so they could do survey work on the platform edge at Bay Ridge Avenue (also getting ADA tile- thanks to itmaybeokay for that info) and track work near 77 Street.Obviously at that point the work didn't affect the late night (R).

I would assume during regular hours the (N) is running local.

It actually can terminate on the local tracks at 36th Street with the (D) and (N) local (They still do that during certain G.Os and Cold Weather Plans). But because the work is also where it usually relays, they're extending it to Whitehall

I know from subsequent posts why it's being done here, but this is one change that ought to be made permanent as it allows the (R) to cover all of Brooklyn and allow for a one-seat ride to all IRT transfers except the (6).

The (R) shuttle as it currently is, requires at least one transfer to get to/from destinations along Broadway and 6 Avenue. But for people coming or going to 8 Avenue, 7 Avenue, or Lexington Avenue stations and stations that the (N) and (D) don’t reach, it requires two transfers if not three (when late night service changes knock out the usual options). Among the stations not reachable without two transfers during late nights only:

• All of the (A) stations, excluding the ones served by the (D) or (N)
  • All of the IRT stations, excluding the ones served by the (D) and (N)
  • All of the stations exclusive to the (7), (E), (F), (G), (J), (L), and (S)

When you’re looking at 20-minute headways, 2 transfers isn’t very palatable, and an (R) that at least makes it to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center would be so much more useful.

Edited by CenSin

Planned Service Changes

FarRockawayA.jpgLefferts111.jpg
ALL TIMES

12:01 AM Monday, Dec 28
Until Spring 2016
Alefferts.jpg
Brooklyn-bound 
trains skip 80 St 
and 111 St

Travel alternatives

80 St Station: 

• For service to 80 St, take the Brooklyn-bound a.png to Grant Av and transfer to a Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd-bound a.png
  • For service from this station, take a Far Rockaway/ Lefferts Blvd-bound a.png to 88 St and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound a.png.

111 St Station: 

• For service to 111 St, take the Q112 bus (days & evenings), or Brooklyn-bound a.png to 104 St and transfer to a Lefferts Blvd-bound a.png.
  • For service from this station, take a Lefferts Blvd-bound a.png to Lefferts Blvd and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound a.png.

Planned 
Service Changes
UPDATE

3 subway4 subway
ALL TIMES

Until Winter 2015/16
Trains skip Rockaway Av and 
Van Siclen Av in both directions
Bus icon Shuttle buses provide alternate service

To/from Rockaway Av, free shuttle buses operate to/from Saratoga Av station 
at all times. B60 customers can transfer to/from shuttle buses at Rockaway Av.
To/from Van Siclen Av, shuttle buses operate to/from Pennsylvania Av
station at all times.
Free transfer is available with MetroCard.
Map of service change and suggested travel alternatives

Click here to plan your trip with Trip Planner+, or call 511 for automated travel information 24/7; agents are available from 6 AM to 10 PM daily. Hearing impaired customers: use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 service relay to reach 511. If you cannot be connected for any reason, you can ask the representative to connect you to 511 via the following phone number: 877-690-5116.

It actually can terminate on the local tracks at 36th Street with the (D) and (N) local (They still do that during certain G.Os and Cold Weather Plans). But because the work is also where it usually relays, they're extending it to Whitehall

I dont think the TA would want spend money on overnight shuttle buses for the  (R) shuttle,

Something small and interesting: three weeks ago when I checked the GOs for this weekend one listed southbound (F) trains as rerouted via the (E) and the (A) from 71 Av to Jay St, with southbound (E) and (F) trains both running local in Queens. The (F) reroute GO was eventually removed from the site and obviously isn't happening this weekend, but according to the MTA's site southbound (E) trains are running local from 71 Av to Queens Plaza all weekend, but the (F) is not listed as running local. so I assume it's running express like normal. And just to keep this story going, on the posters for this weekend's GOs put up in stations, southbound (F) trains are listed as running local from 71 Av to Queens Plaza (Queens Plaza, not Queensbridge), which seems like 2 mistakes in 1. 

Edited by Mysterious2train