Planned Subway Service Changes

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm guessing when they need to work on the 60th St tubes again, they will terminate (N) trains at 96th St instead of 59th St, right?

Don’t think so. The MTA tries not to send (N)s to 96 St (other than the sea Beach (Q) runs). They’d rather terminate the (N) at Times Square and clog up the express track and send the (Q) via local instead. I think it’s because of running times and therefore needing additional trains to cover the service should it be split. The Coney Island-96 St run via Sea Beach is as long as going to about 39th or 36 Av in Astoria, not factoring trains that need to be positioned at the terminal for recovery time. Running both the “main service” and the Astoria shuttle costs extra, both in train sets and crews needed

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't think so. If the (N) runs to 96 Street while the (R) runs via 63rd Street, nothing will serve 5 Av-59 St or Lexington Av-59 St. You don't want to have all of those crosstown riders funneling onto the (7) and (E) trains, which would already be crowded because of the lack of cross-river service between Queensboro Plaza and Lexington Av.

It's not the first time though that they had G.Os where nothing served 5th Avenue nor Lexington Avenue-59th Street.

So it looks like they're preparing for the Station Enhancements Work at 163rd Street.

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
(A) Inwood-bound trains skip 72, 81, 86, 96, 103, 110, 116, 135, 155 and 163 Sts 

Nights, 11 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Mar 5 - 9

For 72, 81, 86, 96, 103, 110, 116 and 135 Sts, take the (D)* instead. Transfer between trains at 
59 St-Columbus Circle 125 St or 145 St.

For service to 155 and 163 Sts, take the (A) to 168 St and transfer to an 
Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound (A) .

For service from these stations, take the (A) to 145 St and transfer to an Inwood-bound (A) .

*This detour has taken into account additional planned service changes.

STATION REHABILITATION
 121 St Station Information

Beginning 5 AM Monday, Feb 12

Jamaica Center-bound 121 St platform will close until Summer 2018.

Travel Alternatives

Use nearby 111 St instead.

For service to this station, take the  to Sutphin Blvd and transfer to a Broad St-bound .

For service from this station, take the  to 111 St and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound .

STRUCTURAL IMPROVEMENTS
<7> Express trains make local stops in both directions at 33, 40, 46, 52, 69 and 74 Sts 

Rush Hours, 6 AM to 10 AM and 2:45 PM to 10 PM, Mon* to Fri, Feb 20 - Mar 9
*Service change begins on Tuesday

• Please allow additional travel time.

20 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but the weekend mainline (M) is a (G). It hasn't run since the year started and it won't through at least early March.

Maybe the MTA realized that running the mainline weekend (M) train was useless because it was just a shortened (J) train, even more so since there has been a lot of shutdowns on the (J) either towards Broad St or east of Broadway Jct/Crescent St, which left the remaining (J) service essentially a slightly extended (M) shuttle. After April, the (M) should regain its weekend service and start to see weekend 96 St service as the preliminary Sandy Work starts on the (L) on weekends.

TRACK REPLACEMENT
(4)  Woodlawn-bound trains skip 161 St, 167 St, 170 St, Mt Eden Av and 176 St

Days, 9:45 AM to 3:30 PM, Mon to Fri, until Mar 9 (except Feb 19)

For service to these stations, take the (4)  to Burnside Av and transfer to a Crown Hts-bound (4).

For service from these stations, take the (4) to 149 St-Grand Concourse and transfer to a
Woodlawn-bound (4).

Alternate travel notes:
From 161 St, take the  to nearby stations.
From 176 St, take the Bx32 bus. Transfer to the (4) at Burnside Av.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe the MTA realized that running the mainline weekend (M) train was useless because it was just a shortened (J) train, even more so since there has been a lot of shutdowns on the (J) either towards Broad St or east of Broadway Jct/Crescent St, which left the remaining (J) service essentially a slightly extended (M) shuttle.

I doubt that as a lot of track and signal work has been performed a long the line. It’s most likely easier to complete the work without so many (J) and (M) trains passing by.

7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

It doesn't say it reopens on the 12th. It still says until Early 2018 and if it were to reopen on the 12th, it would've said 104th Street Reopens but it doesn't. Could've been just a simple error for not adding it on there which isn't the first nor won't be the last.

2 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

It doesn't say it reopens on the 12th. It still says until Early 2018 and if it were to reopen on the 12th, it would've said 104th Street Reopens but it doesn't. Could've been just a simple error for not adding it on there which isn't the first nor won't be the last.

It doesn't appear in the following days.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

No tbh the (M) weekend shuttle is a waste. It's literally a short (J) train.

So I guess in your argument you would say the same thing about the weekend (C) Train being waste because it's literally a short (A) Train then? Because it doesn't make any sense and just because it's a shorten route and a waste to you doesn't mean ridership is not warranted/unnecessary. 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

10 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

So I guess in your argument you would say the same thing about the weekend (C) Train being waste because it's literally a short (A) Train then? Because it doesn't make any sense and just because it's a shorten route and a waste to you doesn't mean ridership is not warranted/unnecessary. 

That makes 0 sense. The (A) is the CPW/8th Av/Fulton St express, the (C) is the complete local counterpart of that.

The (M) is the complete opposite of that. ALL OF the stations the (M) serves on the weekend is covered by the (J) already. Instead of having a useless shuttle, just don't run it anymore and increase service on the (J) , simple.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That makes 0 sense. The (A) is the CPW/8th Av/Fulton St express, the (C) is the complete local counterpart of that.

The (M) is the complete opposite of that. ALL OF the stations the (M) serves on the weekend is covered by the (J) already. Instead of having a useless shuttle, just don't run it anymore and increase service on the (J) , simple.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to run a weekend (M) along the highest ridership part of the line? (Bway JCT and points west) Instead of run the full route (J)?  I always saw the Essex-Bway Jct (M) as a filler or added coverage for areas closer to Manhattan.  Am I wrong for thinking that way? 

Edited by RailRunRob

15 hours ago, Eric B said:

Thing is, the (C) is local, allowing the (A) to run express. The weekend (M)'s stops are completely covered by the (J).

While that’s true, I don’t think that demeans the weekend (M)’s use. The weekend (J) is, frankly, a fiction. It simply never comes — 20-30 min headways are the rule. Having a supplemental service on the high demand portions of the (J)’s route is a godsend for passengers at all those stops — and is something that the MTA should look at implementing more widely. 

I would say the weekend (M)’s biggest flaw is its ending at Delaney instead of Chambers. It feels like the MTA is saying “well look at us! We added service to/from Manhattan! We’ve got you there, so now you can’t complain” but does so by terminating (M)s at the line’s first stop in the borough. Truly doing the minimum.

After the (L) shutdown, if the weekend (M) doesn’t stay at 96, it should be sent to Chambers so riders can be afforded transfers to more than one line. Then it’ll be a truly versatile service. 

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Wouldnt it be cheaper to run a weekend (M) along the highest ridership part of the line? (Bway JCT and points west) Instead of run the full route (J)?  I always saw the Essex-Bway Jct (M) as a filler or added coverage for areas closer to Manhattan.  Am I wrong for thinking that way? 

While your right, the cars from the weekend (M) can be used to make full length (J) trains, which can be used to increase service.

I also agree with RR, the biggest flaw with the (M) (current and pre-rehab) is that it ends at Delancey. Service would be better off terminating at Chambers St.

49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

While your right, the cars from the weekend (M) can be used to make full length (J) trains, which can be used to increase service.

I also agree with RR, the biggest flaw with the (M) (current and pre-rehab) is that it ends at Delancey. Service would be better off terminating at Chambers St.

That's logical Chambers would offer more connections potentially.  Wouldnt it cost more to run a longer train? Are the 4 car configs filled or packed? The other thing is keeping a Weekend (M) give's clear visibility to what goes where.  " (M) Oh this isn't my train this only go's as far as Broadway Jct " Short turning  (J) not so clear. 

Edited by RailRunRob

A very interesting weekend coming up:

No (1) trains between 242nd St and 96th St. (1) trains operate from South Ferry to 96th St, then via the (3) to/from Harlem-148th St, skipping 145th St in both directions. Uptown (1) trains (as well as late night uptown (2) trains) skip 50, 59, 66, 79 and 86th Sts. Shuttle bus and (A) trains provide alternate service.

No (3) trains running. Alternate service is provided by (1) and (2) trains.

No (A) trains between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue. No (S) trains between Broad Channel and Beach-90th St.

(A) trains operate between Inwood-207th St and Lefferts Blvd or Howard Beach-JFK, the last stop. Rockaway Park (S) service operates between Beach 116th St & Far Rockawat-Mott Av, every 20 minutes.

Non stop Far Rockaway shuttle bus operates non-stop between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue.

Rockaway Park shuttle bus operates between Howard Beach and Beach 116th St, stopping at Broad Channel.

No (N) service between Times Square-42nd St and Queensboro Plaza. (N) service operates in two sections, Coney Island to Times Square, and Queensboro Plaza to Astoria-Ditmars. (Q) service provides local service between Canal St to 57th St-7th Av.

(R) trains operate via the (F) from 57th St-7th Av to 36th St, Queens in both directions. No service is provided at 5th Av-59th St, Lex-59th St and Queens Plaza.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A very interesting weekend coming up:

No (1) trains between 242nd St and 96th St. (1) trains operate from South Ferry to 96th St, then via the (3) to/from Harlem-148th St, skipping 145th St in both directions. Uptown (1) trains (as well as late night uptown (2) trains) skip 50, 59, 66, 79 and 86th Sts. Shuttle bus and (A) trains provide alternate service.

No (3) trains running. Alternate service is provided by (1) and (2) trains.

No (A) trains between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue. No (S) trains between Broad Channel and Beach-90th St.

(A) trains operate between Inwood-207th St and Lefferts Blvd or Howard Beach-JFK, the last stop. Rockaway Park (S) service operates between Beach 116th St & Far Rockawat-Mott Av, every 20 minutes.

Non stop Far Rockaway shuttle bus operates non-stop between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue.

Rockaway Park shuttle bus operates between Howard Beach and Beach 116th St, stopping at Broad Channel.

No (N) service between Times Square-42nd St and Queensboro Plaza. (N) service operates in two sections, Coney Island to Times Square, and Queensboro Plaza to Astoria-Ditmars. (Q) service provides local service between Canal St to 57th St-7th Av.

(R) trains operate via the (F) from 57th St-7th Av to 36th St, Queens in both directions. No service is provided at 5th Av-59th St, Lex-59th St and Queens Plaza.

Seriously, does someone in Operations planning have an obsession with killing the (3). Is it just that the (3) is considered "supplemental" so the the (1) has to run even if it means a loss in service at 145 (which I also don't agree with)?