Planned Subway Service Changes

The clocks are driven by the supplement schedules being operated. Since this shortlined J is really internally an M run with M crews from the M work program, the supplement is an M supplement.

This is why the trains show up as Ms on the countdown clocks. 

There may be workarounds for this issue but I’m not sure. The bugs and issues are still being worked out on the countdown clocks.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2017 at 12:20 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Starting off the weekends of the new year:

(1) 242 St bound service runs express from Dyckman to 242 St: Jan 6-7

(2) Operates between 241 St and South Ferry (No service to Dyre Av): Jan 6-8, 13-15, 20-22

(4) Split service at 125 St (Woodlawn bound trains skip 138 St); Local service in Manhattan: Jan 6-8, 13-15, 20-22

(5) No service north of Grand Central: Jan 6-8, 13-15, 20-22 

(7) Flushing bound service is express from Queensboro Plaza to Willets point: Jan 6-7

(A) Local service in Brooklyn between Hoyt St and Broadway Junction: Jan 5-8

(A)(D) Local service along CPW: Jan 12-15

(A)(C) Uptown service is express in Manhattan: Jan 19-22

(C) No service north of 145 St: Jan 20-21

(D)  Via 8 Av Express and Culver: Jan 5-8, 12-15

(D)(N) Manhattan bound service is Express overnight in Brooklyn and skips DeKalb Av: Jan 19-22

(E)(F) Local service in Queens: Jan 5-8, Manhattan bound service is local: Jan 19-22

(F) Queens bound trains skip 14 and 23 Sts: Jan 19-22

(F) Via B’way/4 Av Express and West End: Jan 5-8, 12-15

(F) No service south of Church Av: Jan 26-29

(J) No service east of Crescent St: Jan 6-7, 13-14, 20-21

(J) Manhattan bound service runs express from Myrtle to Marcy Avs: Jan 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27-28

(L) Split service at Broadway Junction: Jan 20 (Saturday only)

(M) No Mainline service: Jan 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27-28

(N) Astoria bound trains run express from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria Blvd: Jan 5-8, 12-15, 19-22, 26-29

(N) via Montague, both directions, Manhattan bound service is local in Brooklyn: Jan 5-8, 12-15

(N) Local service in Brooklyn, both directions: Jan 27-29

(Q) Manhattan bound service via Montague: Jan 19-22

(R) Bay Ridge bound service runs express from Atlantic-Barclays to 59 St: Jan 5-8, 12-15

(R) Manhattan bound service express in Brooklyn, via Bridge, no late night service between Whitehall St and 59 St, Brooklyn: Jan 19-22

(R) Manhattan bound service is express in Queens: Jan 27-28

Add:

(2)(3) Service is entirely local in Manhattan: Jan 5-8

The same service changes for the (2)(4)(5) and (J) will also take effect the last weekend of January.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

5 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Can someone help clear up a G.O for me this passed weekend. 

Yesterday (2) was running Dyre to SF and the (5) was running 241-Flatbush. Essentially the (2) and (5) swapped sides in Manhattan, does anyone have an idea of what would cause this change?

Clark st tube shutdown. (2) crews are running trains signed up as (5)s from 241 to FABC, and (5) crews are running trains signed up as (2)s Dyre to SF. This is all so there is no train service in the Clark st tube, which is having Sandy repair work done. 

55 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Can someone help clear up a G.O for me this passed weekend. 

Yesterday (2) was running Dyre to SF and the (5) was running 241-Flatbush. Essentially the (2) and (5) swapped sides in Manhattan, does anyone have an idea of what would cause this change?

Passengers are used to this service plan (#5 White Plains to Flatbush via Lex, 4 to New Lots, 2 to South Ferry, 3 to 14/7) with weekend schedules.

No sense confusing them for a few days when no Clark St. work done.  I approve.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

47 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Passengers are used to this service plan (#5 White Plains to Flatbush via Lex, 4 to New Lots, 2 to South Ferry, 3 to 14/7) with weekend schedules.

It also saves MTA money to keep the Clark Street Tunnels closed

Edited by GreatOne2k

1 hour ago, GreatOne2k said:

Brooklyn only has the (4) and (5) instead of the (2),(3), and  (4).   MTA saves money during the day, only during the night would MTA  ((3) and (5) crews are running extended services) would the MTA lose a bit, but it is still overall weekend savings for MTA.

As far as it goes crews have 5 days of work no matter what. Even in the likely event the (2) crews are running the (5) the standard staffing would still be on duty either on the board/extra list or commandeered by another line.  The only way  to reduce cost would be to turn off the electricity. In terms of cost  reduction you might see a slight reduction *IF* the supplement they run for the Clark St Closure reduced the number of overtime jobs, Considering that the other lines are extended to cover the gaps in other service it's most likely a wash.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

In that light, I could see the sense in that GO for continuity. 

32 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

As far as it goes crews have 5 days of work no matter what. Even in the likely event the (2) crews are running the (5) the standard staffing would still be on duty either on the board/extra list or commandeered by another line.  The only way  to reduce cost would be to turn off the electricity. In terms of cost  reduction you might see a slight reduction *IF* the supplement they run for the Clark St Closure reduced the number of overtime jobs, Considering that the other lines are extended to cover the gaps in other service it's most likely a wash.

In that light, I could see the sense in that GO for continuity. 

Since the MTA plans track work well in advance, couldn't they not assign those work days well in advance to save on operational costs?

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Wait, they're cutting off access to the (5) to people in the Bronx, and give them the (2) that' only running to ST? That' the need for 2 extra transfers then to get to Brooklyn.

The 5 is running to/from Wakefield-Flatbush while the 2 is running to/from Dyre-SF. People living on the Dyre branch would've had to transfer regardless if they wanted access to Brooklyn on weekends. Also, the amount of people traveling to/from Brooklyn to the Bronx via subway is more than likely miniscule compared to the amount of people who need acess to Manhattan. 

The needs of the many > the needs of the few. The work must be done.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Wait, they're cutting off access to the (5) to people in the Bronx, and give them the (2) that' only running to ST? That' the need for 2 extra transfers then to get to Brooklyn.

You’re making it sound like people ride a train/bus from one end to the other. Almost no one does that. So I don’t where are you getting this from, but it’s not true. The vast majority of everyone from the outer boroughs are centric district-bound.

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

That's not even remotely what I was referring to.

Anyway, if they do this swap with the (2) only running in the Bronx during that G.O week, people would have to transfer to the (4) to get to the (5) at 42nd St.

You just contradicted yourself, but back to topic I guess.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

You’re making it sound like people ride a train/bus from one end to the other. Almost no one does that. So I don’t where are you getting this from, but it’s not true. The vast majority of everyone from the outer boroughs are centric district-bound.

What are you talking about? People from the Bronx who want to go Brooklyn have no other choice then to take the (2)(3)(4) or (5) . This G.O makes it harder for them to get there, for example if I'm coming from Dyre and want to get to Flatbush:

--> SHUTTLE Bus to 180th

--> (2) to 149th St

--> (4) to Grand Central

--> (5) to Flatbush

That's 3 transfers right there.

And how many people from the Bronx on WPR or Dyre want Brooklyn? That’s right, very few. You don’t know what you’re talking about and are just exaggerating about the fewer people who will complain lol. Take a seat.

EDIT: Also, I don’t think you realize how dumb you sound when contradicted yourself. Lol.

Edited by Jemorie

8 minutes ago, HenryB said:

any news on winter weather service change for tomorrow?

Updates should be on MTA social media and on their website, I haven't seen any news reports yet but any changes to service could be based off of http://web.mta.info/coldWeather/

Im not too aware yet of the specific changes but hopefully someone else on the forum might know.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks