Planned Subway Service Changes

For the weekends of this month:

(2)(3) Downtown service is local: Mar 2-5, 9-12

(2) No service between East 180 St and 96 St: Mar 23-26, Mar 30-Apr 2

(3) Service is suspended entirely: Mar 23-26, Mar 30-Apr 2

(4) Reduced service north of 125 St: Mar 3-4, 10-11, 24-25, 31-Apr 1

(4) Uptown service runs entirely local, (5) service is local between 125 St and Grand Central: Mar 2-5, 9-12

(6) Manhattan bound service is express in The Bronx: Mar 9-12

(7) No Service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq: Mar 3-5, 10-12

(S) 42 St runs overnight: Mar 3-5, 10-12, 24-26, 31-Apr 2

(A) No service north of 181 St: Mar 16-19, 23-26

(A) No service to Far Rockaway; trains run to Rockaway Park and replace the (S): Mar 30- Apr 2

(A)(C) Downtown service runs express from 168 St to Columbus Circle: Mar 23-26

(D) Uptown service runs via 8 Av and CPW Local: Mar 2-5

(D) Service runs via 8 Av and Culver: Mar 30-Apr 2

(D)(N) Coney Island Bound service runs local in Brooklyn: Mar 2-5, 16-19; Both directions: Mar 23-26

(E)(F) Service runs local in Queens: Mar 23-26

(F) No service south of Church Av: Mar 2-5, 16-19, 23-26

(F) Service runs via West End: Mar 30-Apr 2

(G) No service south of Hoyt-Schermerhorn; Split service at Bedford-Nostrand Avs: Mar 2-5

(J) No service east of Broadway Junction: Mar 3-4, 10-11, 17-18

(J) No service between Essex St and Broad St: Mar 3 (Saturday only) 

(M) No Mainline service: Mar 3-4, 10-11, 17-18

(N) No service between Times Square and Ditmars Blvd: Mar 17-19, 24-26

(Q) Trains run local in Manhattan: Mar 17-19,  24-26

(R) Service runs via 63 St: Mar 17-18, 24-25 

(W) Service operates to supplement the (7): Mar 3-4, 10-11

Edited by S78 via Hylan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MTA website says (L) trains run every twenty minutes this weekend because of "SIGNAL MODERNIZATION." Is this just a routine CBTC maintenance check or are they actually upgrading it? What could they be upgrading it to?  Does this have something to do with (7) CBTC equipment?

If anyone has any ideas/info I'd love to hear it.

The MTA really screwed up Broadway this weekend. (N)(R)(W) all on the local track in both directions… But the real problem is the (N), which runs over the Manhattan Bridge southbound. The (D)(N)(Q) all try to file into DeKalb Avenue, and then next thing you know, the (D)(N)(R) all fight to get to 4 Avenue on the local track. It was really one train after another at DeKalb Avenue today.

After narrowly missing a (Q) train to Coney Island, I figured I could save myself a lot of time by letting the (D)(N) go and waiting for the next (Q).

This would have been less of a problem had the MTA ran the southbound (N) via Whitehall Street instead, balancing the traffic between the tunnel and bridge.

I'm guessing this is due to the ongoing work on the Broadway line that has suspended night and weekend service for the past few weeks...

TRACK MAINTENANCE
(R) Some Bay Ridge-bound trains skip Queens Plaza, Lexington Av/59 St and 5 Av/59 St

Rush Hour, 6 AM to 10 AM, Mon to Fri, Mar 19 - 23  •  Mar 26 - 30

• Please allow additional travel time.

After 36 St, Queens, some (R) trains run via the (F) stopping at 21 St-Queensbridge,
Roosevelt Island and Lexington Av/63 St, resuming regular service at 57 St-7 Av.

Travel Alternatives

Take a Bay Ridge-bound (R) making these stops.

For Queens Plaza, transfer to the (E) at Roosevelt Av.

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'm guessing this is due to the ongoing work on the Broadway line that has suspended night and weekend service for the past few weeks...

It amuses me how they always say skip as if the 63rd Street Line are 60th Street's express tracks.

55 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

It amuses me how they always say skip as if the 63rd Street Line are 60th Street's express tracks.

I thought I was the only one. It's better to say

"TRACK MAINTENANCE
 Some Bay Ridge-bound (R) trains run via the (Q) from 57th St-7th Av to Lex Av-63rd St, then via the (F) from Lex Av-63rd St to 36th St, then resume normal local service."

It's a holdover from before 2nd Avenue opened where the Broadway/63rd Street route wasn't in regular use. Also, it conveys the same message, which is that (R) trains aren't stopping at the stations between 36 St/Northern Blvd and 57 St-7 Av.

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought I was the only one. It's better to say

"TRACK MAINTENANCE
 Some Bay Ridge-bound (R) trains run via the (Q) from 57th St-7th Av to Lex Av-63rd St, then via the (F) from Lex Av-63rd St to 36th St, then resume normal local service."

Why do they say it runs via the  (F) and (Q) lines as if it is heading towards Forest Hills? Are they trying to confuse people?

I'm guessing this correlates to the above

Planned WorkTRACK MAINTENANCE

(R) Trains may experience delays due to slow speed order between Queens Plaza and Lexington Av/59 St

Rush Hours, 6 AM to 10 AM & 3:30 PM to 8 PM, Mon to Fri, Mar 19 - 23 • Mar 26 - 30• Please allow additional travel time.

Planned Work

TRACK MAINTENANCE

(N)(W) Trains may experience delays due to slow speed order between Queensboro Plaza and Lexington Av/59 St

Rush Hours, 6 AM to 10 AM & 3:30 PM to 8 PM, Mon to Fri, Mar 19 - 23 • Mar 26 - 30• Please allow additional travel time.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

So, what’s the plan for tomorrow?

Probably normal service weather permitting. Then service suspensions as necessary, starting with only local (6) service and no <6>, early ending of the (B)(M)(W) lines, and local only service on the express trains outside rush hours from 9PM to 6AM. No planned service changes and If it really gets bad then we will expect the closing of the above ground stations, but this is ONLY when visibility and wind conditions are a safety issue.

Bad news for the Rockaways. Starting in April and continuing through September, direct service between the mainland and the Rockaways will be diverted in one fashion or another. In the first of two phases, there will be no direct service between Broad Channel and Rockaway Park. The limited (A) runs to/from Rockaway Park will be suspended and the Rockaway Park shuttle will run from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park. Riders will have to change at Beach 67 Street for service between the western end and the mainland. This phase will end in mid-May according to the MTA. In the second phase, to begin in early July and ending by early September, all (A) service to Far Rockaway will be diverted to Rockaway Park. The shuttle will continue to operate as it will in phase one, between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park. Eastern end riders will have to change at Beach 90 Street for mainland service.

Read more: Source

17 minutes ago, Lance said:

Bad news for the Rockaways. Starting in April and continuing through September, direct service between the mainland and the Rockaways will be diverted in one fashion or another. In the first of two phases, there will be no direct service between Broad Channel and Rockaway Park. The limited (A) runs to/from Rockaway Park will be suspended and the Rockaway Park shuttle will run from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park. Riders will have to change at Beach 67 Street for service between the western end and the mainland. This phase will end in mid-May according to the MTA. In the second phase, to begin in early July and ending by early September, all (A) service to Far Rockaway will be diverted to Rockaway Park. The shuttle will continue to operate as it will in phase one, between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park. Eastern end riders will have to change at Beach 90 Street for mainland service.

Read more: Source

It actually doesn't sound too bad. Better than shuttle buses at least.

It'll be interesting to see how Rockaway Park and intra-Rockaways ridership changes with these changes, granted the fact that this will happen partially over the summer might make it more difficult to look at impacts to daily riders. I hope the full (A) to Rockaway Park gets used - I never realized just how much the shuttle holds you hostage until I was left waiting at Broad Channel for ~15 mins a few weeks ago because shuttle trains were still dispatched to leave right on schedule even as (A) trains were running erratically.