Planned Subway Service Changes

4 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Seriously, does someone in Operations planning have an obsession with killing the (3). Is it just that the (3) is considered "supplemental" so the the (1) has to run even if it means a loss in service at 145 (which I also don't agree with)?

Well apparently they are using (1) crews for this G.O, which is dumb considering the fact that a) South Ferry loop is no longer in use and b) the (3) line crews have to serve two stations on the (1) that they are familir with, that being Rector St and South Ferry.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A very interesting weekend coming up:

No (1) trains between 242nd St and 96th St. (1) trains operate from South Ferry to 96th St, then via the (3) to/from Harlem-148th St, skipping 145th St in both directions. Uptown (1) trains (as well as late night uptown (2) trains) skip 50, 59, 66, 79 and 86th Sts. Shuttle bus and (A) trains provide alternate service.

No (3) trains running. Alternate service is provided by (1) and (2) trains.

No (A) trains between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue. No (S) trains between Broad Channel and Beach-90th St.

(A) trains operate between Inwood-207th St and Lefferts Blvd or Howard Beach-JFK, the last stop. Rockaway Park (S) service operates between Beach 116th St & Far Rockawat-Mott Av, every 20 minutes.

Non stop Far Rockaway shuttle bus operates non-stop between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue.

Rockaway Park shuttle bus operates between Howard Beach and Beach 116th St, stopping at Broad Channel.

No (N) service between Times Square-42nd St and Queensboro Plaza. (N) service operates in two sections, Coney Island to Times Square, and Queensboro Plaza to Astoria-Ditmars. (Q) service provides local service between Canal St to 57th St-7th Av.

(R) trains operate via the (F) from 57th St-7th Av to 36th St, Queens in both directions. No service is provided at 5th Av-59th St, Lex-59th St and Queens Plaza.

Actually I just caught wind of the (N) G.O, why are they terminating the (N) at Times Square instead of 96th St? Out of all the times they sent the (N) up SAS, THIS is the time they choose not to?

49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Actually I just caught wind of the (N) G.O, why are they terminating the (N) at Times Square instead of 96th St? Out of all the times they sent the (N) up SAS, THIS is the time they choose not to?

This has to do with the fact that if they sent the (N) train up to East Side - 96th Street, that would be considered too taxing to the (Q) train. According to @Daniel The Cool, the (MTA) has gotten away with not running any service via 60th Street (that is, Fifth Avenue and Lexington Avenue, including Queens Plaza) before. Having the (N) train go to Times Square only would justify having the express tracks further north of there clogged up so much they have to send the (Q) train via Broadway Local. Therefore, they would only have the (N) train run up the East Side as a rush hour service, as they would likely need additional crews to run this during General Orders.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

12 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Seriously, does someone in Operations planning have an obsession with killing the (3). Is it just that the (3) is considered "supplemental" so the the (1) has to run even if it means a loss in service at 145 (which I also don't agree with)?

With the (3) truncated to 14 Street for the Clark St closure, it's pretty much a supplemental line to the (1) and (2). With the track replacement work in place between 137 St-City College and 96 Street, the service potential would be to run the services as they plan to for the next few weekends. Alternatively, they could cut the (1) back to 137 Street and extend the (3) as a local to South Ferry. I guess they would rather run shuttle buses between 148 Street and 135 Street rather than confuse riders on the southern end of 7th Avenue.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

With the (R) also running via 63rd Street this weekend, it may be too congested for the (N) to run to 96 Street, especially along the stretch between Lexington Av and 57 St-7 Av.

24 minutes ago, Vtrain said:

I don't understand on why work has to be done on Presidents Day when there are alot of people NOT off from work that day.

Agreed.  It's annoying. I've actually started taking off that day. It's an optional day for me and I am sick of the lack of service that day.  Stupid Saturday service.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

With the (3) truncated to 14 Street for the Clark St closure, it's pretty much a supplemental line to the (1) and (2). With the track replacement work in place between 137 St-City College and 96 Street, the service potential would be to run the services as they plan to for the next few weekends. Alternatively, they could cut the (1) back to 137 Street and extend the (3) as a local to South Ferry. I guess they would rather run shuttle buses between 148 Street and 135 Street rather than confuse riders on the southern end of 7th Avenue.

With the (R) also running via 63rd Street this weekend, it may be too congested for the (N) to run to 96 Street, especially along the stretch between Lexington Av and 57 St-7 Av.

My view of it is that (3) to SF and the (1) being canceled is more straight forward than the (3) is canceled and the (1) is running to Lenox replacing the (3) but is skipping a bunch of stops. The fact that they skip 145 just seems like a needless slight, perhaps transit doesn't trust (1) crews to use MDC shields??? I suppose the (1) has never used the SF loop. I'm just having trouble reconciling why that station is skipped other than the MTA not trusting crews .

2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

I don't understand on why work has to be done on Presidents Day when there are alot of people NOT off from work that day.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Agreed.  It's annoying. I've actually started taking off that day. It's an optional day for me and I am sick of the lack of service that day.  Stupid Saturday service.

I think it's because more people have the day off than they do for MLK Day for instance. Also, it may have something to do with the number of holiday days required for MTA workers by the union. The employees would have to confirm or deny that one.

1 hour ago, Jsunflyguy said:

My view of it is that (3) to SF and the (1) being canceled is more straight forward than the (3) is canceled and the (1) is running to Lenox replacing the (3) but is skipping a bunch of stops. The fact that they skip 145 just seems like a needless slight, perhaps transit doesn't trust (1) crews to use MDC shields??? I suppose the (1) has never used the SF loop. I'm just having trouble reconciling why that station is skipped other than the MTA not trusting crews .

I agree with you. It reminds of a few years ago when the (J) was extended to Metropolitan Av due to a similar track replacement project along Broadway (Brooklyn). Just as it would've made more sense to extend the (M) to Chambers St (this was before weekend service was extended to Essex St), it makes much more sense to run the (3) local.

Also, it's really ridiculous that the MTA doesn't trust their crews enough to know not to open the rear doors at 145 Street.

1 minute ago, Lance said:

I think it's because more people have the day off than they do for MLK Day for instance. Also, it may have something to do with the number of holiday days required for MTA workers by the union. The employees would have to confirm or deny that one.

I've found the opposite over the years.  A lot more companies are open and do optional days because of the international environment.  I have clients all over the US and elsewhere so they expect to hear from me.  We have a changing workforce as millennials become the main group of people and the old traditional 9-5 work in Manhattan is not how things go any more.  I've opted to take more of these days off as a work from home set up just because it's easier than putting up with such limited transportation.  I always work MLK because transportation is decent, but they've started chopping away at that too now.  

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I agree with you. It reminds of a few years ago when the (J) was extended to Metropolitan Av due to a similar track replacement project along Broadway (Brooklyn). Just as it would've made more sense to extend the (M) to Chambers St (this was before weekend service was extended to Essex St), it makes much more sense to run the (3) local.

Also, it's really ridiculous that the MTA doesn't trust their crews enough to know not to open the rear doors at 145 Street.

Perhaps its political "they cut the whole 1 line and skipped all the uptown stops". If its something like that then ok have the (1) run the (3) ; The truly messed up is you can have a brand new hire extra extra and the TA will throw them on a line they haven't seen since week 1 of school car and youre expected to perform but apparently in the TAs eyes having a pick job lowers your IQ below room temperature. Sorry I know im beating a dead horse, just a peave of mine.

Staten Island Railway

On Friday, Feb. 16, the Staten Island Railway will operate on an early evening rush hour schedule to help folks get a jump start on the long weekend. Extra SIR trains will be added earlier in the afternoon beginning at 2:30 p.m. from the St. George Ferry Terminal. There will be one express train and one local train awaiting every boat until 7:50 p.m. On Presidents’ Day, Monday, Feb. 19, the Staten Island Railway will operate on a Sunday schedule.

Well, that's kind of nice. I also don't think I've ever seen the word "folks" used on the MTA's website before.

So for this weekend’s service changes, the (N) runs express northbound and terminates at Times Square–42 Street. The (Q) runs entirely local from Canal Street to 57 Street–7 Avenue. At 34 Street–Herald Square, folks see the (N) pulling into the station and they dash out to take it, ignoring the repeated announcements made by the conductor. So the doors on the (Q) closed and they lost their chance to take the (Q). That (Q) didn’t wait for the (N) at Times Square–42 Street either.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:24 PM, Lawrence St said:

A very interesting weekend coming up:

No (1) trains between 242nd St and 96th St. (1) trains operate from South Ferry to 96th St, then via the (3) to/from Harlem-148th St, skipping 145th St in both directions. Uptown (1) trains (as well as late night uptown (2) trains) skip 50, 59, 66, 79 and 86th Sts. Shuttle bus and (A) trains provide alternate service.

No (3) trains running. Alternate service is provided by (1) and (2) trains.

No (A) trains between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue. No (S) trains between Broad Channel and Beach-90th St.

(A) trains operate between Inwood-207th St and Lefferts Blvd or Howard Beach-JFK, the last stop. Rockaway Park (S) service operates between Beach 116th St & Far Rockawat-Mott Av, every 20 minutes.

Non stop Far Rockaway shuttle bus operates non-stop between Howard Beach and Mott Avenue.

Rockaway Park shuttle bus operates between Howard Beach and Beach 116th St, stopping at Broad Channel.

No (N) service between Times Square-42nd St and Queensboro Plaza. (N) service operates in two sections, Coney Island to Times Square, and Queensboro Plaza to Astoria-Ditmars. (Q) service provides local service between Canal St to 57th St-7th Av.

(R) trains operate via the (F) from 57th St-7th Av to 36th St, Queens in both directions. No service is provided at 5th Av-59th St, Lex-59th St and Queens Plaza.

I'm planning on taking the (A) train to Fulton St from Far Rockaway to go to the Westfield Mall. Is the shuttle buses to Howard Beach going to be faster and less crowded if I take it from Rockaway Park? It will be a unique experience for me to get my first ride on the Hammels Wye track not used in regular service and my first ride on the Cross Bay Blvd Bridge.

1 minute ago, LGA Link N train said:

Here's something I downloaded off of a subway weekender website (I believe it's called https://subwayweekender.wordpress.com/ )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DY206WnlfSFuf0XPje6u-hF2KuXuVAaY/view?usp=drivesdk

Since the file is available on Subway Weekender’s Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/s/j19s2k66ff8v2ku/2018.02.17.pdf?dl=0), there’s no point in linking it to your own Google Drive copy which nobody has permission to see.

4 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Here's something I downloaded off of a subway weekender website (I believe it's called https://subwayweekender.wordpress.com/ )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DY206WnlfSFuf0XPje6u-hF2KuXuVAaY/view?usp=drivesdk

That was done by our own @Lance.

Edited by Union Tpke

On 2/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe the MTA realized that running the mainline weekend (M) train was useless because it was just a shortened (J) train, even more so since there has been a lot of shutdowns on the (J) either towards Broad St or east of Broadway Jct/Crescent St, which left the remaining (J) service essentially a slightly extended (M) shuttle. After April, the (M) should regain its weekend service and start to see weekend 96 St service as the preliminary Sandy Work starts on the (L) on weekends.

Like I said before, I would make that (M) change to 96th/2nd on weekends permanent ASAP.  

EQUIPMENT TESTING

Brighton Beach-bound (B) trains run local from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy

Days, 10 AM to 3:30 PM, Mon to Thu, until Mar 15

Fake news; I am on a (B) that is going express right now.

Edited by P3F

TRACK REPLACEMENT
No 7 trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

E,F,N,R,S,W trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 12:15 AM Sat to 4:30 AM Mon, Feb 24 - 26  •  Mar 3 - 5  •  Mar 10 - 12

7 service operates in two sections:
  1. Between Main St and Queensboro Plaza
  2. Between Times Sq-42 St and 34 St-Hudson Yards

Shuttle Buses make all stops between Queensboro Plaza and Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av.
42 Street Shuttle service operates overnight.

W Special service operates between Whitehall St and Ditmars Blvd during the following times:
Saturday, 7 AM to 9 PM • Sunday, 9 AM to 7 PM

Travel Alternatives

For service between Queens and Manhattan, take the E,F,N,R,S,W trains

• Transfer between 7 and N,W trains at Queensboro Plaza or Times Sq-42 St.
• Transfer between 7 and E,F,R trains at 74 St-Roosevelt Av.

TRACK MAINTENANCE
No J trains between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center

E trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, until Mar 18

J Service operates between Broad St/Essex St* and Broadway Junction.

Shuttle Buses make all stops between Broadway Junction and 121 St and connect
with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

For service between Broadway Junction and 121 St, take a Shuttle bus.
• Transfer between J trains and Shuttle buses at Broadway Junction.

For Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av and Jamaica Center, take the E train instead.
• Transfer between E trains and Shuttle buses at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

For JFK Airport, use the A train at Howard Beach-JFK via transfer at Broadway Junction. 

On Mar 3, J trains operate between Essex Street and Broadway Junction

There is no j train service between broad street and Essex Street