Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

I'm sorry to tell you this but the purpose of light rail is mainly to get folks to the city and not really for intraborough commuting, hence my comments. I think for intraborough commuting, better local bus service with artics can accomplish the same purpose at a cheaper cost.

And traffic for buses VG8. Why you keep dodging that issue and just admit you never been on a light rail/trolley? Just admit you hate any form of trains and only want buses. It way ridership on local buses citywide has dropped in NYC. I never said bulid light rail citywide on every route. This is what i am thinking of a light rail. Plus less gas=cheaper costs. Vg8 you not that progressive as i thought. Lets just end the subways and rails not a bus for VG8 benefit.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And traffic VG8. Just admit you hate any form of trains and only want buses. This is what i am thinking of a light rail.

Well that's funny because I used trains in Europe far more than buses... Like I said, you want trains?? Tell me where the money comes from, not to mention the amount of time to build the system for trains... Getting buses up and running are far cheaper and quicker to implement.

Well that's funny because I used trains in Europe far more than buses... Like I said, you want trains?? Tell me where the money comes from, not to mention the amount of time to build the system for trains... Getting buses up and running are far cheaper and quicker to implement.

And traffic issues especially Manhattan express buses have VG8? If you look at costs of a light rail, it much cheaper i.e hundred of millions compared to tens of billions say extending the (E) train out to Eastern Queens. That my point., It proven fact that light rail gets tons of more riders than local or premium fare/in NYC called "Express Buses."

And traffic issues especially Manhattan express buses have VG8? If you look at costs of a light rail, it much cheaper i.e hundred of millions compared to tens of billions say extending the (E) train out to Eastern Queens. That my point., It proven fact that light rail gets tons of more riders than local or premium fare/in NYC called "Express Buses."

Well let's see the stats then... Oh and where is the money supposed to come from to build this light rail??

Well let's see the stats then... Oh and where is the money supposed to come from to build this light rail??

Ok no problem! http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_lrt_2007-09a.htm

jeez, not another light rail vs bus argument.......

now roadcruiser's goin come swooping through posting his LRT maps/images....

Bro I never said to bulid light rail everywhere in NYC. I just feel it should bulit such as 1-2 coordiors per boro particuarly in the outerboros like Queens as alternative to subway lines,

Before you know it this thread might even get the wrap

Ok. I will put away the light rail suggestion for this thread (I still strongly endorse it)and back on focus to thread. I like B35's idea on a Q67 Limited. The current Q39 is very slow connecting Maspeth/Ridgewood area with the LI City subway connections at Queens Plaza.

One issue with the light rail idea is that a light rail is, by definition, static. The trolley can only go where there are tracks. The thing is that Brooklyn and Queens have big areas/neighborhoods that have huge changes in demographics-look at how Williamsburg and Astoria have changed in recent years with all the young people moving in. Forest Hills used to be full of families and is now filled with old people who often use Paratransit services, not buses or subwasy. The MTA needs a flexible form of transportation to be able to adapt.

What about investing in smaller buses and vans to serve the newly populated areas? This way the MTA can see if a new line would be warrented in a certain area. There could be a whole fleet of small vans sent to new areas with temporary bus stops every few weeks or months to see how people respond. Maybe the MTA could hire back some retired B/O's or whatever to drive these vans part time, since they will already have a pension and will not need full time employment. Just an idea.

One issue with the light rail idea is that a light rail is, by definition, static. The trolley can only go where there are tracks. The thing is that Brooklyn and Queens have big areas/neighborhoods that have huge changes in demographics-look at how Williamsburg and Astoria have changed in recent years with all the young people moving in. Forest Hills used to be full of families and is now filled with old people who often use Paratransit services, not buses or subwasy. The MTA needs a flexible form of transportation to be able to adapt.

What about investing in smaller buses and vans to serve the newly populated areas? This way the MTA can see if a new line would be warrented in a certain area. There could be a whole fleet of small vans sent to new areas with temporary bus stops every few weeks or months to see how people respond. Maybe the MTA could hire back some retired B/O's or whatever to drive these vans part time, since they will already have a pension and will not need full time employment. Just an idea.

On light rail, what about argument for the (G) line? The Greenpoint/Williamsburg and Clinton Hill areas of North Brooklyn could be very different 25 years from now in 2037.

I don't know why Forest Hills people are complaining- they have great subway, local, and express bus service aleardy. I doubt new service lines will directly cut through them , except for Queens Blvd, which is already packed. That might slow down run times for exp. lines and such, but won't bother residents in their apartments or whatever.

That's what they (claim to be) worried about.

LOL. The stats are already out there. Just look at the ridership for the express bus routes right now.

On light rail, what about argument for the (G) line? The Greenpoint/Williamsburg and Clinton Hill areas of North Brooklyn could be very different 25 years from now in 2037.

I can almost guarentee that those areas will be very different in 20 years. Very few areas stay cool and hip for that long. Even the Village has lost a lot of its "cool" factor. But since it is the (G) we are talking about, it will probably be cut in 5 years anyway :P

The QM22 was cut because it had low ridership. However, it had just two trips in each direction. If it were to be revived, there would have to be more that just two trips per direction. Personally, I'd think it would be better to shift the QM22 from 21st Avenue to Ditmars Blvd. The QM22 followed Ditmars, turned at Steinway and followed 21st Avenue until 21st Street. This might sound strange, but if it moved completely to Ditmars, it'll be more visible. Ditmars is were most people go and it's also where the Q69 runs. People wouldn't have to take the local Q69, when they might see an express bus that goes directly to Manhattan. 31st Street would be a must-stop, since it is where a lot of the Q69's ridership comes from.

But a lot of 31 Street ridership on Q69 is people making transfer to and from Subway.

That is true. It's just that I'd feel that the QM22 would be more visible to people if it ran all the way down Ditmars instead of 21st Avenue, so that people who would ordinarily take the Q69 or the subway might give it some thought.

Well whatever you all plan on doing w/ bringing back the Qm22, It's gonna have to be taken off 21st st..... either that or have its nonstop portion begin south of hoyt st (meaning, a straight express route from manhattan to astoria instead of making stops in LIC)......

like how the QM2 makes no stops on northern blvd.... somethin like that......

Well whatever you all plan on doing w/ bringing back the Qm22, It's gonna have to be taken off 21st st..... either that or have its nonstop portion begin south of hoyt st (meaning, a straight express route from manhattan to astoria instead of making stops in LIC)......

like how the QM2 makes no stops on northern blvd.... somethin like that......

But with the way LIC has been growing along with how affluent the area has become that I would think with the right routing that there could be some ridership there too no?

Archived