Damaged on 9/11, NYC Transit Bus a Restored Phoenix of Red, White and Blue

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-47351000-1347391363_thumb.jpg[/float](MTA) New York City Transit express coach 2185 is a living tribute to 9/11 responders and the MTA's determination to rebuild in the wake of the terrorist attacks.

he 1998 MCI express coach was one of several buses caught up that morning on the streets of Lower Manhattan. While most buses were quickly returned to service after the attacks, a small number were total losses.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-47351000-1347391363_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if the other buses that were repaired after 9/11 are still in service? I'm kind of surprised that this bus isn't retired just because of its historical importance. I've saw it a few times out and about in the morning on the X27 but that's about it. I've never seen it on the weekends, so they must only use it here and there.

Anyone know if the other buses that were repaired after 9/11 are still in service? I'm kind of surprised that this bus isn't retired just because of its historical importance. I've saw it a few times out and about in the morning on the X27 but that's about it. I've never seen it on the weekends, so they must only use it here and there.

That buses use is extremely limited. It does 2 runs a day, both before 12pm, and with the same driver everyday.

Why not just put the bus into the museum already? They've got the new Prevosts. Even going out 2 times a day M-F, the bus could get wrecked.

Probably because of it's significance, but with the RTS Express demo coming, it could be displaced to the museum. I agree, an iconic bus like that should be in the museum fleet...

Why not just put the bus into the museum already? They've got the new Prevosts. Even going out 2 times a day M-F, the bus could get wrecked.

Yeah it can get wrecked but oh we'll, it was supposed to go in the museum but I don't know what happened. If you want my honest opinion the bus never really got damaged on 9/11. Just had a few broken windows , dust dirt & espestoes & that's it. But it didn't get burned down or badly wrecked.

Yeah it can get wrecked but oh we'll, it was supposed to go in the museum but I don't know what happened. If you want my honest opinion the bus never really got damaged on 9/11. Just had a few broken windows , dust dirt & espestoes & that's it. But it didn't get burned down or badly wrecked.

Well yeah because if it had it would've been scrapped. That dust was a real killer though because of the asbestos and such so it may not have looked like a big job but it was. They had to clean that bus to ensure that no one got sick riding on it. We've seen the impact that that dust has had on thousands of folks that worked down at Ground Zero.

The bus is already a museum bus, it just see's sevice twice a day for the last decade. It's unique, and likely won't be retired for a couple more years.

What exactly caused its damage.

Isn't it kind of obvious?

It is obvious...

A giant cat with a pop-tart body that shits rainbows got mad at the bus cuz it didn't break the space-time continuum as promised back in 1977 during the NYC blackout.

Archived