Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Gov. Christie proposes to end free employee travel on NJ Transit System

[float=left]post-5097-0-62325800-1349744847_thumb.jpg[/float] As part of Governor Christie’s emphasis on accountability to New Jersey taxpayers, NJ TRANSIT proposes changing a long-standing industry-wide practice allowing transit employees unlimited, free travel. Today, NJT proposes changing their 30-year blanket privilege allowing non-agreement employees unlimited, free travel on rail, light rail and bus services.

Under the proposal effective January 1, 2013, NJT will no longer allow non-agreement employees and non-agreement retirees to use the agency’s transit system free-of-charge for non-business purposes.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-62325800-1349744847_thumb.jpg

Free employee travel should be limited to commutation and business trips: issue 40-ride punch tickets between pre-agreed to locations for the former, and special tickets for the latter. And this should apply to all non-train/engine service employees, not just the nonrepresented ones.

• Upvote 2

Not sure that I disagree with this---I agree that NJT employees should be able to use the system to get to and from work, but the privilege cannot be abused. The reason why agreement (union) employees have that benefit still is because I see it being partially negotiated out in the next agreement to the level of non-represented employees.

I would not be surprised to see other agencies follow suit down the line.

• Upvote 2

Against this. Point blank. We work hard...dealing with some individuals that are comparable to the scum of the earth. This incentive provides motivation to workers. I cross my fingers that the TA doesn't attempt to follow suit.

• Upvote 10

Having received a free Metrocard from the (MTA) when I.worked for them, giving employees free transit encourages them to use the system. The employees should be setting the example...

• Upvote 7

Against this. Point blank. We work hard...dealing with some individuals that are comparable to the scum of the earth. This incentive provides motivation to workers. I cross my fingers that the TA doesn't attempt to follow suit.

I gotta agree. Transit workers deserve perks like this, especially train/bus operators and conductors, after all they WORK for the transit authority and the authority is more than capable of letting their own employees who go through a lot of shit every day ride for free. I remember the MTA was taking away the free EZPasses from employees, I wasn't too happy about that one but this is worse IMO. MTA better not follow suit on this one.

• Upvote 1

Having received a free Metrocard from the (MTA) when I.worked for them, giving employees free transit encourages them to use the system. The employees should be setting the example...

I could not agree more!

I disagree with Governor Christie on anything transit related despite agreeing with most of what he has done elsewhere. These perks are one of the most encouraging things for not only railroad employees, but also light rail, bus and beyond. I think this actually helps the employees perform better since they won't have to worry about spending money to the place they serve, plus it also promotes the use of public transit instead of using car. In-fact, this makes Christie look pro-union instead of his anti-union stance, so all this is just plain crazy to me...

• Upvote 1

I'm against with Christie, even though I live in New York and not across the Hudson River. Seriously employees need to get free of charge transit because they work for the transit.

Nobody at TA is going to lose their unlimited use Metrocard passes. We NEED those passes in order to get into the system in order to do our jobs. We have to swipe in multiple times a day when coming to/from yards, towers, etc. and seeing as there's a witchhunt against station agents letting us use the gates, no way in hell am I paying $2.50 just to enter my office.

I don't think this is referring to NJT's rail employees anyway. It sounds like it's talking about government employees and retired NJT workers.

• Upvote 1

This all stims down to people just not minding their business. This has been an issue before with paying passengers seeing the employees riding for free.

Under the proposal effective January 1, 2013, NJ TRANSIT will no longer allow non-agreement employees and non-agreement retirees to use the agency’s transit system free-of-charge for non-business purposes.

Thankfully, they're not charging them just to get to/from work. It would only apply to certain employees/retirees, and only affect those non-work related trips.

I'd prefer to see them keep their free rides altogether. I mean, if you retired after being there for 30 years or whatever, I think you've earned that little perk.

• Upvote 2

Amen. Hell, you are there to represent the company, putting your life on the line at times. The least you could do is offer an employee a ride to wherever they need to go for nothing. Christie needs to go.

• Upvote 1

I was told that this was mostly aimed at the folks that work at Penn Plaza @ Newark and up in Maplewood, not too sure about it though.

This all stims down to people just not minding their business. This has been an issue before with paying passengers seeing the employees riding for free.

Yeah well I don't start up trobule when I see them EATING for free at their fast food jobs.....

• Upvote 1

Talked to a friend of mine that works at NJT Rail: This affects Non-Agreement Employees, meaning workers that are unionized are NOT affected, their employee pass free ride privileges will remain.

I disagree....lets say you have to make a relief at a point in the line and you cannot park near it.....you have to use public transportation to get to it....it is part of your job and you should have to pay to do your job??? If the Governor has a car to get around from point A to point B he should be held accountable for it.....no more free medical for life....get some medicaid....It's all about whats good for Goose is good for Gander....and it's all about closing the budget gap in New Jersey!!! Why should I pay 4.09 a gallon for gas while in New Jersey it's 3.73??? raise the tax to everywhere else in the northeast....that may not be popular but fair is fair....