New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

The 154 it doesnt have an express segment like the 165 113 or 114 or the 153 

The 154's "express"  the schedule says passengers will not be carried who begin and end their trip south of nungessers within zone 2 within the exception of jfk @48th for the hblr Bergen line ave station

Wait, so your gripe is that the #154x isn't express enough???

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Speaking of the 319, I plan on using it July 4th to Atlantic City, returning the next day.

What will I be in for with the 319? Should I get there by a particular time? And do they run extra buses if there's high demand?

I would advise getting to PABT at least 30 mins. before whatever trip you plan on taking, is set to leave,,, You try that getting there at the last minute shit & there's a very good chance you're going to get left waiting for the next trip out (which more or less answers that last question)... The line for that route out of PABT always end up being long as shit.... I've been on #319's where people were desperate enough to sit on the floor (as in, in the aisle); having to get up whenever someone wants to go take a piss or whatever....

6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Per say why call it "express"

The trips from Ft. Lee bypass Nungessers & south of that point, it operates closed door within NJ (with the exception of the HBLR station).... There's nothing saying that a route has to have a 113x, 114x, 165T/P/R, etc. like nonstop portion to be deemed an express... I don't have a problem with dubbing those 154 trips as expresses (even the ones that start at Nungessers that have no nonstop portion in the morning).... The whole point is to make service to/from NYC faster than regular service....While I haven't been on the ones that start at Nungessers in the morning, the PM peak 154x trips definitely make a difference....

30 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone explain the “turnpike express” variant of the 127?

Some coincidence you ask about the 127x; I fanned it yesterday (the 6:50am trip)...

The first pickup is the Broad/Shaler stop (the stop on Shaler blvd.)... Serves all NB #83 stops until Broad/Maple... Then it runs nonstop via Broad → rt. 46 → NJ Turnpike → 495 → then it makes those 3 stops in Union City (Palisade, Hudson, Pleasant), before hitting PABT.... It doesn't run straight to PABT from Ridgefield....

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The trips from Ft. Lee bypass Nungessers & south of that point, it operates closed door within NJ (with the exception of the HBLR station).... There's nothing saying that a route has to have a 113x, 114x, 165T/P/R, etc. like nonstop portion to be deemed an express... I don't have a problem with dubbing those 154 trips as expresses (even the ones that start at Nungessers that have no nonstop portion in the morning).... The whole point is to make service to/from NYC faster than regular service....While I haven't been on the ones that start at Nungessers in the morning, the PM peak 154x trips definitely make a difference....

Ahh ok i understand now plus the fact that most of you were arguing before about duplicates and closed door service recently 

7117 bout to do a 113n i guess its a northern division driver helping out?

Also questions for our njt operators @553 Bridgeton @Lawrence St and @46Dover have you guys done an interstate run i have a question regarding the bid packages 

Are the runs structured that for example you could go into ny as a 114 and come out as a 116 etc?

is there anything straight you stay on one route such as the 114 197 etc 

iirc ironbound has a 126 run wonder what it is paired with 🤔

7 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

7117 bout to do a 113n i guess its a northern division driver helping out?

Also questions for our njt operators @553 Bridgeton @Lawrence St and @46Dover have you guys done an interstate run i have a question regarding the bid packages 

Are the runs structured that for example you could go into ny as a 114 and come out as a 116 etc?

is there anything straight you stay on one route such as the 114 197 etc 

iirc ironbound has a 126 run wonder what it is paired with 🤔

If you out of any of the northern garages that go into New York you can come out as any pabt line in your garage. 

if you pick a work run/combo you can go on as a 308 and come out as a 114X just to use Ironbound as an example. There are are straight runs but you have to look at the paddle because you have header lines like rhe 139 but 25 on the 139 is all 319.

16 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

If you out of any of the northern garages that go into New York you can come out as any pabt line in your garage. 

if you pick a work run/combo you can go on as a 308 and come out as a 114X just to use Ironbound as an example. There are are straight runs but you have to look at the paddle because you have header lines like rhe 139 but 25 on the 139 is all 319.

My favorite was being bounced around on extra board (asking “who makes these schedules anyway?) like a basketball first doing the 196 from Warwick, then 161 to Paterson, then 190 to New York (although the latter was an express, but still...) 🙄

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

My favorite was being bounced around on extra board (asking “who makes these schedules anyway?) like a basketball first doing the 196 from Warwick, then 161 to Paterson, then 190 to New York (although the latter was an express, but still...) 🙄

Damn that must have been exhausting and an excerise in your mind on doing 3 different routes

10 hours ago, 46Dover said:

How long did all of that take?

5 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Yes.  

Contract states you are to be qualified before doing any route. You are not to just take a route description and do the line. You get into an accident 1. You going to get min 4 points 2. Your distracted driving which turns into improper operation write up on top of the accident. They pay you to learn the line 3x.

This is the problem I have with the new ppl coming in they trying to save the day. Learn the line properly with an operator who knows the line that way you learn it correctly and you follow along with the route description as your learning. Most older guys will take you out there.

33 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Contract states you are to be qualified before doing any route. You are not to just take a route description and do the line. You get into an accident 1. You going to get min 4 points 2. Your distracted driving which turns into improper operation write up on top of the accident. They pay you to learn the line 3x.

This is the problem I have with the new ppl coming in they trying to save the day. Learn the line properly with an operator who knows the line that way you learn it correctly and you follow along with the route description as your learning. Most older guys will take you out there.

Do you know how many times I’ve been asked to do work outside my garage?  I said no but I would like to be trained on it.  Nothing happens after i ask.

7 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

Do you know how many times I’ve been asked to do work outside my garage?  I said no but I would like to be trained on it.  Nothing happens after i ask.

Because they want the work filled. You asked the right question and there ain’t nothing they can do. 

50 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Been seeing the older operators teaching/showing new operators on the daily, whether it's near the Ferry St. Training area or out on a ride along whichever route they are to be trained. Sometimes they have up to 3 trainees with them

3 hours ago, go25 said:

Been seeing the older operators teaching/showing new operators on the daily, whether it's near the Ferry St. Training area or out on a ride along whichever route they are to be trained. Sometimes they have up to 3 trainees with them

Ferry street training area what the do out there?