New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I saw a pic of an XD40 on the 119 earlier. Thought I was seeing things at first lol. Isn’t NJT suppose to take the 10 and 119 back this weekend or next weekend?

XD40? You mean a XD60

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rail Service Suspended for the Remainder of the Service Day, June 17th

Due to an illegal job action initiated this morning by the locomotive engineers’ union (BLE&T), rail service will terminate early this evening and will remain temporarily suspended for the remainder of the service day on Friday, June 17th. Please see the information below for the last eastbound and westbound trains departing by rail line.

Last trains of the evening from NY, Newark & Hoboken by rail line:

Northeast Corridor: No. 3881 at 7:44 p.m. from NY

North Jersey Coast Line: No. 3279 at 7:06 p.m. from NY

Raritan Valley Line: No. 5747 at 7:13 p.m. from Newark Penn Station

Montclair-Boonton Line to Hackettstown: No. 1085 at 7:22 p.m. from Hoboken

Gladstone Line: No. 443 at 7:44 p.m. from Hoboken

M&E to Dover: No. 6667 at 8:05 p.m from NY

Montclair-Boonton to Montclair: No. 6291 at 7:37 p.m. from NY

Port Jervis Line: No. 65 at 7:57 p.m. from Hoboken

Main Line: No. 1127 at 7:46 p.m. from Hoboken

Bergen County Line: No. 1177 at 8:13 p.m. from Hoboken

Pascack Valley Line: No. 1641 at 7:28 p.m. from Hoboken

Last eastbound trains by line:

Port Jervis Line – from Port Jervis to Hoboken: Train No. 68 at 9:22 p.m.

Main Line – from Suffern to Hoboken: Train No. 1136 at 9:47 p.m.

Bergen County Line – from Suffern to Hoboken: Train No. 1186 at 10:17 p.m.

Pascack Valley Line – from Spring Valley to Hoboken: Train No. 1634 at 9:07 p.m.

Gladstone Line – from Gladstone to Hoboken: Train No. 438 at 9:28 p.m.

To provide customers with as many alternate travel options as possible, NJ TRANSIT will continue to accept rail tickets on NJ TRANSIT and Private Carrier buses, all three NJ TRANSIT light rail lines, PATH from 33rd Street in New York, Hoboken and Newark Penn, and NY Waterway ferries. Rail customers interested in using bus service as an alternate travel option can go to the “Schedules” feature on the mobile app or website to plan your trip.

Please continue to visit njtransit.com for the most up-to-date service information. We also encourage you to follow your individual line account on Twitter (see below), and customize your push notifications for service information on the NJ TRANSIT mobile app. You can also sign-up for text and e-mail alerts by visiting njtransit.com/mytransit.

wtf happened

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

A bunch of engineers called out sick today. They did it to prove a point, there was an article explaining why NJT engineers called out today but I can't find it.

Engineers have no contract. Simple as that. They did this to prove a point. No holiday pay for Juneteenth for engineers, conductors did. Also, compared to MTA and Amtrak, NJT is paying below what those agencies pay their engineers.

11 hours ago, mfs NJT459 said:

So were buses called to do extra runs from the PABT to areas affected by the cancelled trains such as the 114/Raritan Valley Line

I would say no because a lot of companies are still not out of the COVID funk with schedules, laid off employees, etc.   For example, because people who needed to go to Morristown didn’t have Community Coach, or Mount Arlington, didn’t have Lakeland, etc.  

I am just hearing about this.  Glad everyone's ok.  Sadly, this is another blow to the already short Turnersville (Washington Twp) garage.

They are now down 4 buses.  18014-ran off the AC Expressway on the 551

18023 and 18032, One bus rear ended the other on the 554

18016 now down due to accident on the 554.  From the looks of this, it may be done. 

I have noticed this garage is suffering already.  There are a lot of 5300s being used on all routes ( including the 551 and 554).  Newton Avenue has been sending buses down the Freeway to help as well ( both NABI and MCI).  

Edited by Tranzitfan81

2 minutes ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

I am just hearing about this.  Glad everyone's ok.  Sadly, this is another blow to the already short Turnersville (Washington Twp) garage.

18016 now down due to accident on the 554.  From the looks of this, it may be done. 

I have noticed this garage is suffering already.  There are a lot of 5300s being used on all routes ( including the 551 and 554).  Newton Avenue has been sending buses down the Freeway to help as well ( both NABI and MCI).  

Officials: At least 13 injured in bus crash in Absecon, New Jersey - 6abc Philadelphia

22 hours ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

The nabis on the mci line is due to a scheduling conflict with mcis not getting back in time. 

27 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If the 137 already serves Toms River, why does the 319 also have to stop there? 

Because not every #137 trip runs express between NYC & Toms River....

There would be even less service on the #319 if it ran nonstop between NYC & Atlantic City.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

If the 137 already serves Toms River, why does the 319 also have to stop there? 

Connections from 139(Old Bridge-Howell)

Connections to/from Manahawkin 559 to 319

Connections from Lakewood via the 139/559

Connections from 67L or X

Atlantic City connections to Jersey City and Newark and Freehold

Penn Plaza workers do not want the 67B

137 is not a full time line, it’s main purpose is rush hour and weekends to allow Toms River ppl to get an empty bus but it’s never enough people to warrant more weekend service. Most of the parkway express 137s are discontinued in the summer because of the 319. 137 Lakewood via Dorodo & Ramp Stop, and 137 Brick Twp local via Dorodo & Ramp stop remain. 

I am thinking of taking the bus to Manahawkin (right near where Rt 72 meets Rt 9) from Port Authority on a Saturday in August.

There is a 12:30 pm bus (319) which gets to Toms River at 2:05pm, with a transfer to the 2:13pm bus (559).

Should I trust this connection from the NJT website, (i.e. are there delays on the Parkway due to beachgoers) or should I leave myself more room to catch the 559?

5 hours ago, pkim87 said:

I am thinking of taking the bus to Manahawkin (right near where Rt 72 meets Rt 9) from Port Authority on a Saturday in August.

There is a 12:30 pm bus (319) which gets to Toms River at 2:05pm, with a transfer to the 2:13pm bus (559).

Should I trust this connection from the NJT website, (i.e. are there delays on the Parkway due to beachgoers) or should I leave myself more room to catch the 559?

Saturdays you shouldn’t have an issue, and weekends 319s are usually 10-15min early to Toms River. The beach traffic starts Wednesday afternoon and lasts until Friday night.

19 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Random thought why do they call the 154 an "express" when it isnt express like other routes the 114 113 165 etc 

The #154 or the #153?

The #154 has express trips, but I've never heard the #154 be referenced as an express route, per se....

52 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The #154 or the #153?

The #154 has express trips, but I've never heard the #154 be referenced as an express route, per se....

The 154 it doesnt have an express segment like the 165 113 or 114 or the 153 

The 154's "express"  the schedule says passengers will not be carried who begin and end their trip south of nungessers within zone 2 within the exception of jfk @48th for the hblr Bergen line ave station

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

DOT is out for blood. They didn’t come out during pandemic if at all, now they are popping up at the most random spots now. 

Is that why Egg Harbor and Meadowlands have each other's cruisers? 

Edited by Lawrence St