New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I get that 100% of the #10 is served by the #119, but you cannot justify having the #194 & the #197 operating closed door within New Jersey.....

This would only apply to routes that are replicated by other local routes along segments.

Another example; the 127 when the 83 serves the exact same stops.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This would only apply to routes that are replicated by other local routes along segments.

I have to disagree on the 83/127. Most of the time people are taking it to walmart or the light rail at 49th street. I usually go out there a lot and if I miss the 83, I know the 127 will come. Or if the 83 looks crowded, i'll hop on the 127. 

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why couldn't this have been said in that prior post, instead of "All New York lines should be pickup or drop off only."? Words have meaning.

With that said, it leaves much to be desired that you suggest splitting the #83 into 3 different routes and have #127's operate closed door... You don't appear to realize that NJT compartmentalizes service levels along certain corridors with the service supplied for their interstate routes & the service supplied for their intrastate routes.... The fact of the matter is that NJT has a separate network for their interstate routes & a separate network for their intrastate routes.... So this notion of having the interstate routes operate closed door in their *main* state of operation, takes service away from those (intrastate) passengers....

Yeah, agreed that the clarification makes a difference (even though I don't agree with it in either case).

The interstate and intrastate routes that he's referring to aren't entirely paralleling each other either within NJ. On top of that, the local routes also tend to have shit headways & service span. Tremendous disservice to intrastate riders. Even if intrastate ridership isn't that large on a particular route, I still wouldn't do it (since it barely affects the schedule). 

The very first things that I thought about when I saw @Lawrence St suggestion was, what happens with Blvd East, and what happens with routes like the 114 (which have an overwhelming majority of their runtimes operating local service in NJ & have short-turns within the state)?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, agreed that the clarification makes a difference (even though I don't agree with it in either case).

The interstate and intrastate routes that he's referring to aren't entirely paralleling each other either within NJ. On top of that, the local routes also tend to have shit headways & service span. Tremendous disservice to intrastate riders. Even if intrastate ridership isn't that large on a particular route, I still wouldn't do it (since it barely affects the schedule). 

The very first things that I thought about when I saw @Lawrence St suggestion was, what happens with Blvd East, and what happens with routes like the 114 (which have an overwhelming majority of their runtimes operating local service in NJ & have short-turns within the state)?

That depends on the route. 

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's an idea I seen brought up before in the past & I don't agree with it in any case.... To concur with something like that, exudes a lack of understanding of how the concurrent sub-networks works within the entire NNJ network.... NJ's hands are tied, being that it's RR network, for lack of a better term, absolutely f***ing sucks....

Probably doesn't exist, but I am curious to see a breakdown (raw number or percentage, doesn't matter to me) of how many interstate riders vs. how many intrastate riders the interstate lines garner (including the Camden-Philly area routes).... I have a bit of a mental note for a decent amount of 'em, but of course that's not concrete....

FWIW, for starters, we know what that percentage breakdown is for routes like the #193, #321, and the #355 :D

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That depends on the route. 

I don't think it should. I get the #10 and #119 somewhat but still don't like it. But other routes such as the #83 and #127 would be dumb. That's like saying it should happen to the #89 and #126 since they connect together except for the new york stop. 

2 hours ago, dkm07302 said:

I don't think it should. I get the #10 and #119 somewhat but still don't like it. But other routes such as the #83 and #127 would be dumb.

That's like saying it should happen to the #89 and #126 since they connect together except for the new york stop. 

That would be another example of what he means when he says "This would only apply to routes that are replicated by other local routes along segments."

7 hours ago, dkm07302 said:

I don't think it should. I get the #10 and #119 somewhat but still don't like it. But other routes such as the #83 and #127 would be dumb. That's like saying it should happen to the #89 and #126 since they connect together except for the new york stop. 

Where do the #89 and #126 share the same routing?

7 hours ago, jass said:

Yes, previous summers they would run express that was 30 minutes faster

*puts on tinfoil hat* perhaps the Jeresy Shore residents forced NJT to cancel those runs to make it harder for residents from certain North Jersey cities to get to Jersey Shore designations, etc.

On the news a couple weeks ago there was damn near a riot in Long Branch and for some odd reason the media pointed out that most of the people that was there took NJ Transit there from points north. Also since that incident NJCL runs don't show up on google departure anymore which is interesting timing I must say..

I don't think Jersey Shore residents want certain North Jersey residents in their town... so make the service trash to get down there. Just my conspiracy theory lol

On 6/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, B35 via Church said:

It's an idea I seen brought up before in the past & I don't agree with it in any case.... To concur with something like that, exudes a lack of understanding of how the concurrent sub-networks works within the entire NNJ network.... NJ's hands are tied, being that it's RR network, for lack of a better term, absolutely f***ing sucks....

Probably doesn't exist, but I am curious to see a breakdown (raw number or percentage, doesn't matter to me) of how many interstate riders vs. how many intrastate riders the interstate lines garner (including the Camden-Philly area routes).... I have a bit of a mental note for a decent amount of 'em, but of course that's not concrete....

FWIW, for starters, we know what that percentage breakdown is for routes like the #193, #321, and the #355 :D

As far as the railroad goes, NJT Rail Ops are still dealing with the Christie budget fallout as well as post Sandy fiasco. Trust me on that one

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

That’s now the fifth 18XXX bus that’s down. Wth???

10 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That’s now the fifth 18XXX bus that’s down. Wth???

What is even going on with Township buses. They gotten into like 3 or 4 accidents now?