New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Speaking of the 320, there really should be a Newark Airport to Harmon Meadows bus. Who wants to go into NYC with all that luggage just to come back into jersey to get to their hotels?

Sounds like a plausible suggestion for the good folks at https://ezride.org/ to consider...

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Page 20 of the 2011 Greater Newark Bus Study report (57/336 of the PDF) mentions extending the #37 to Union City (Bergenline Street HBLR station). Perhaps that extension could run through Harmon Meadows. (Although this extension isn't mentioned in the more recent Newark bus study)

That could be hell of an interesting route i wonder what its route be after the airport

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

That could be hell of an interesting route i wonder what its route be after the airport

I assume that the original planned route would be I-95 to NJ-495, and then take 30th Street to Bergenline Avenue. But that could be modified to get off at Paterson Plank Road, and take Paterson Plank Road/Union Turnpike - 38th Street - JFK Blvd. (On the other hand, it might just be simpler to leave it on 30th Street, since that's where connections to any outbound buses would be).

Does anyone have any information on the #13J (in terms of its frequency/operating hours) or the McCarter Highway express variation mentioned on page 245/336 of the PDF?

@B35 via Church I see that your idea for a connection between Willowbrook Mall and the #29/71 terminal was incorporated into the #95/#98 routes proposed on page 235 (272/336 of the PDF). And a Bayonne - EWR connection was included in the #18 proposed on page 241 (278/336 of the PDF). Hopefully those ideas make it into the final plan, whenever that ends up being released.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

On 12/15/2022 at 5:49 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Article doesnt offer an answer to the question on why theyre now a year late.

"These things take time" explains the very slow initial timeline, not the extended delays

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

For the amount of time I worked here I never noticed this,

Why is it that NJT does not have borough specific network bus maps? The only ones I've found are unoffical ones.

Locale specific? Hell, NJT doesn't have any sort of tangible bus map for public consumption.... Royal PITA AFAIC....

Guess they'd rather go all in with printing timetables individually for each route.... AC Bus Terminal & TTC (Trenton) are always fully stocked with (respective) area bus service timetables every time I venture to either of the 2 terminals.... They got whole boxes of them shits at PABT, but IDC for the fact that you have to go up the info booth & ask for a timetable.... There used to be some on the 3rd floor, but lately, I haven't been seeing any up there....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Locale specific? Hell, NJT doesn't have any sort of tangible bus map for public consumption.... Royal PITA AFAIC....

Guess they'd rather go all in with printing timetables individually for each route.... AC Bus Terminal & TTC (Trenton) are always fully stocked with (respective) area bus service timetables every time I venture to either of the 2 terminals.... They got whole boxes of them shits at PABT, but IDC for the fact that you have to go up the info booth & ask for a timetable.... There used to be some on the 3rd floor, but lately, I haven't been seeing any up there....

ACBT hasn’t been fully stocked on schedules in nearly a year. Transit now only prints bus schedules if there is a service adjustment or change. 

Now WRTC always has schedules no matter what. 

Other than that the schedules are delivered to the garages and leave it up to the bus operator to bring on the lines. 

36 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

ACBT hasn’t been fully stocked on schedules in nearly a year. Transit now only prints bus schedules if there is a service adjustment or change. 

Now WRTC always has schedules no matter what. 

Other than that the schedules are delivered to the garages and leave it up to the bus operator to bring on the lines. 

SMH... So they stopped stocking them at AC? News to me.... Hopefully TTC's still got em...

I've never seen timetables at WRTC; never bothered to look, to be honest.... Come to think of it, same goes for Newark-Penn & JSQ...

It has been years since the last time I saw a timetable on an actual NJT bus...

34 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

SMH... So they stopped stocking them at AC? News to me.... Hopefully TTC's still got em...

I've never seen timetables at WRTC; never bothered to look, to be honest.... Come to think of it, same goes for Newark-Penn & JSQ...

It has been years since the last time I saw a timetable on an actual NJT bus...

I've definitely seen timetables somewhere in Newark Penn. I just forget where exactly. For Journal Square, I don't recall offhand if they have any. For the buses, the Orange Depot routes (Bloomfield Avenue routes and #34 mostly) seem to be pretty well stocked with timetables for the depot.

50 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I've definitely seen timetables somewhere in Newark Penn. I just forget where exactly. For Journal Square, I don't recall offhand if they have any. For the buses, the Orange Depot routes (Bloomfield Avenue routes and #34 mostly) seem to be pretty well stocked with timetables for the depot.

Newark Penn and Trenton Transit Center have them well stocked.

The one in Newark Penn is next to the Track 5 stairs.

I used to collect bus timetables from Newark Penn as a kid, this was back in the flexible metro days so that was an long time ago lol, haven't seen any there in modern times. EDIT: as per the poster above, Newark Penn still does have bus timetables.

I wish NJT had a bus map for downtown philly, they don't have to include the Septa routes just the NJT routes. NJT philly bus operation is confusing to me, like is the 551 a loop in downtown Philly or it terminates and layover somewhere in Philly? 

Edited by trainfan22

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I used to collect bus timetables from Newark Penn as a kid, this was back in the flexible metro days so that was an long time ago lol, haven't seen any there in modern times. EDIT: as per the poster above, Newark Penn still does have bus timetables.

I wish NJT had a bus map for downtown philly, they don't have to include the Septa routes just the NJT routes. NJT philly bus operation is confusing to me, like is the 551 a loop in downtown Philly or it terminates and layover somewhere in Philly? 

As a kid, I remember taking bus schedules from the NJT kiosk inside the Woolworth's in downtown Newark, too. Talking about the heyday of Flxibles and Volvo artics.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I've definitely seen timetables somewhere in Newark Penn. I just forget where exactly. For Journal Square, I don't recall offhand if they have any.

EDIT: as per the poster above, Newark Penn still does have bus timetables.

3 hours ago, go25 said:

The one in Newark Penn is next to the Track 5 stairs.

Yeah, I just never bothered looking for them at Newark-Penn... The only venturing I do inside Newark-Penn outside of getting to the bus lanes from the PATH platform, is for heading to the bathroom....

Stairs to track 5 huh.... I'll keep a mental note of that... Thanks.

It used to terminate at the Greyhound Terminal... Now it does that loop.... AC-Philly-back to AC... Some ops will take a break in Camden (similar to what the #317's from Philly do at Lakewood), some will just do the 3 hours or whatever it is straight....

Side note: b/o's are good at keeping track of who boarded where... I'd f*** around & end up driving the 3 hours straight & forget who tf was on the bus.... Point being, passengers are not allowed to ride through the loop if you boarded in Jersey.

3 minutes ago, go25 said:

As a kid, I remember taking bus schedules from the NJT kiosk inside the Woolworth's in downtown Newark, too. Talking about the heyday of Flxibles and Volvo artics.

The good old days.

Does anyone happen to have a track map of where the switches are along the Morris & Essex Line? (Where trains can switch between the local and express tracks). I'm trying to see if I can put together a schedule that has more evenly spaced service towards NY Penn and Hoboken. (Right now, there's a lot of instances where you have multiple trains to Hoboken, followed by multiple trains to NY Penn, and huge gaps if you're trying to get to the opposite terminal, and I'm trying to see if there's a way to reorganize the services so you have more even spacing). 

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Does anyone happen to have a track map of where the switches are along the Morris & Essex Line? (Where trains can switch between the local and express tracks). I'm trying to see if I can put together a schedule that has more evenly spaced service towards NY Penn and Hoboken. (Right now, there's a lot of instances where you have multiple trains to Hoboken, followed by multiple trains to NY Penn, and huge gaps if you're trying to get to the opposite terminal, and I'm trying to see if there's a way to reorganize the services so you have more even spacing). 

I do but can't share openly

NJT XE40 made its debut today (or very recently) a fanner I'm subscribed to has an video of it. The interior has next stop screens similar to the ones on MTA buses. The new signs also show the weather forecast, I wish the XD60s had these screens, hopefully this spec change is permeant with the new signs.

Edited by trainfan22