New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean I kinda don't blame them just because of how crammed Fairview is but that's no excuse.

Fairview needs a garage....Not a storing lot..Transit should have been reconstructed that garage years ago...Most of there buses are stored outside which adds to some of there breakdowns and also makes it hell for drivers and matinence in the winter months there....That small repair shop really cant handle todays volume...Thats one of the reasons they trying to merge it with market st and meadowlands....

Edited by biGC323232

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On NABI suburban bus 5372 on the 171 line to Paterson. I don't know why this bus all of a sudden came up north from Washington Twp garage..if I'm correct, to Market Street garage. I do notice that Market Street's buses are trash, therefore fallen apart ( breakdown). Who knows if 5372 is loaner or permanent stay. Bike rack is on the bus. Could there be more South Jersey buses coming up north to Market Street Garage or any other garage? I would like to know

On 1/9/2023 at 10:14 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

Fairview don’t take care of nothing.

most of their 22000 series mci have exhaust leaks already. 

That's sad bro. This is one of the reasons why some newer buses are on the operating table instead of our on the road rolling in very good condition. It's sad that most of these garages don't take pride in maintaining their buses and keeping the exterior of the bus looking sharp and professional 

16 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

That's sad bro. This is one of the reasons why some newer buses are on the operating table instead of our on the road rolling in very good condition. It's sad that most of these garages don't take pride in maintaining their buses and keeping the exterior of the bus looking sharp and professional 

*laughs in NJT Rail Operations*

17 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

The Neoplans they got away with because they weren’t as computer advanced as the Xclesiors. 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, FlxMtroD said:

On NABI suburban bus 5372 on the 171 line to Paterson. I don't know why this bus all of a sudden came up north from Washington Twp garage..if I'm correct, to Market Street garage. I do notice that Market Street's buses are trash, therefore fallen apart ( breakdown). Who knows if 5372 is loaner or permanent stay. Bike rack is on the bus. Could there be more South Jersey buses coming up north to Market Street Garage or any other garage? I would like to know

Those are Camden buses (Newton Avenue).  Camden seems to take good care of their buses.  Since Camden is starting to get the XE40s maybe those 5300s are coming up to Paterson. 5373 is up there too.   I am not sure about the rest yet.  The relocation must have been recent because I was just back home in NJ two weeks ago and saw 5372 several times on various Camden routes. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, Tranzitfan81 said:

Those are Camden buses (Newton Avenue).  Camden seems to take good care of their buses.  Since Camden is starting to get the XE40s maybe those 5300s are coming up to Paterson. 5373 is up there too.   I am not sure about the rest yet.  The relocation must have been recent because I was just back home in NJ two weeks ago and saw 5372 several times on various Camden routes. 

I'm on 5373 right now on route 770 Paterson bound. I must say, you're right about Newton Ave Garage taking care of their Nabi suburbans bro. Inside looks clean and has the blue vinyl seats in good condition. Sadly, just give those buses a couple of weeks before they get screwed 

Edited by FlxMtroD

On 1/9/2023 at 7:53 PM, trainfan22 said:

NJT XE40 made its debut today (or very recently) a fanner I'm subscribed to has an video of it. The interior has next stop screens similar to the ones on MTA buses. The new signs also show the weather forecast, I wish the XD60s had these screens, hopefully this spec change is permeant with the new signs.

Daayum, them roads are trash

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I propose an exact fare program for select garages operating into New York, such as Fairview and select Meadowlands lines. Fairview in general should’ve been an exact fare line a long time ago!

It's 2023, forget exact fare. NJT should not be accepting cash on buses at all.

Even on the exact fare lines, people get on trying to pay cash who don't know how much to pay, or don't organize their money before hand, or the machine won't take their bills. Just get rid of it.

Edited by MNR Beacon Line

7 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

It's 2023, forget exact fare. NJT should not be accepting cash on buses at all.

Even on the exact fare lines, people get on trying to pay cash who don't know how much to pay, or don't organize their money before hand, or the machine won't take their bills. Just get rid of it.

That makes a lot of sense... Not. You would likely be negatively impacting the people that depend most on the service, especially people that are unbanked and use cash.

16 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That makes a lot of sense... Not. You would likely be negatively impacting the people that depend most on the service, especially people that are unbanked and use cash.

So? It’s time to move on. I should not have to break a 20. NJT is ridiculous. This is the problem management is always thinking about the person who may not have the electronic fare payments. Most of these people go to a bus terminal to get a mpass or the 10-trip tix, or even use the mail feature to get the pass , so what would stop them from buying a fare card if they already make a trip to buy the pass. Most ppl are actually using the mobile payments. NJT installed the ticket readers in the bus which has the ability to use tap pay however they have the tap pay turned off because they don’t want to upgrade the register. The ticket reader won’t connect with the register unless njt decides to upgrade the register which will never happen. 

SEPTA recently installed the same ticket reader as njt and guess what septa’s is already active with tap pay available.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

49 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

So? It’s time to move on. I should not have to break a 20. NJT is ridiculous. This is the problem management is always thinking about the person who may not have the electronic fare payments. Most of these people go to a bus terminal to get a mpass or the 10-trip tix, or even use the mail feature to get the pass , so what would stop them from buying a fare card if they already make a trip to buy the pass. Most ppl are actually using the mobile payments. NJT installed the ticket readers in the bus which has the ability to use tap pay however they have the tap pay turned off because they don’t want to upgrade the register. The ticket reader won’t connect with the register unless njt decides to upgrade the register which will never happen. 

SEPTA recently installed the same ticket reader as njt and guess what septa’s is already active with tap pay available.

Facts. Breaking a $20 for a 2 zone interstate ride is ridiculous. Imagine doing that on a Fairview route 365 times a year on a 8 piece run. You’d never get anywhere! (Which is a reason why most of fairviews routes are late but that’s another story). 

It really is time to move on. OMNY, tap to pay, NJT fare card is the future and upper management needs to upgrade that register anyway, it’s old! Why is it that every other transit system in the country uses newer stuff while we’re stuck with something from the 1990’s?

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I don't disagree that they should move on from money transactions because it does slow down service.  I do use NJ Transit (commuter trains or the express buses) to commute to our NJ offices from the City here and there when I'm not working at home, and I always pay electronically, as it is more convenient. However, I am certain that if NJTransit does not come up with something that addresses the population of riders that are unbanked, there will be an outcry and rightfully so.  I have to attend NJTransit public meetings sometimes for work and one the biggest complaints I hear from riders is that NJTransit is tone deaf to the needs of its customers. 

That said, they absolutely need to revamp the system so that it speeds things up for the drivers, but doesn't make it more difficult for that population of people that still use cash.  I have no idea what percentage of those people take NJTransit, but it wouldn't shock me if it was similar to what the (MTA) sees. They must have data on it though because they do that sort of research to make sure they're covering everyone that needs to take the service.

I can tell you that part of the issue with these new fare rollouts even with the (MTA) has been programming.  I was speaking with them today about OMNY (pretty sure NJTransit is looking to implement something similar to keep the systems connected if you will) and I was complaining about the delays and the lack of fare rollouts.  It's been slow-going and that's putting it mildly.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Part of the problem is the fare increments are increments of $0.05 rather than $0.20. So in addition to giving dollars and quarters as change, you're also giving nickels and dimes.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't disagree that they should move on from money transactions because it does slow down service.  I do use NJ Transit (commuter trains or the express buses) to commute to our NJ offices from the City here and there when I'm not working at home, and I always pay electronically, as it is more convenient. However, I am certain that if NJTransit does not come up with something that addresses the population of riders that are unbanked, there will be an outcry and rightfully so.  I have to attend NJTransit public meetings sometimes for work and one the biggest complaints I hear from riders is that NJTransit is tone deaf to the needs of its customers. 

That said, they absolutely need to revamp the system so that it speeds things up for the drivers, but doesn't make it more difficult for that population of people that still use cash.  I have no idea what percentage of those people take NJTransit, but it wouldn't shock me if it was similar to what the (MTA) sees. They must have data on it though because they do that sort of research to make sure they're covering everyone that needs to take the service.

I can tell you that part of the issue with these new fare rollouts even with the (MTA) has been programming.  I was speaking with them today about OMNY (pretty sure NJTransit is looking to implement something similar to keep the systems connected if you will) and I was complaining about the delays and the lack of fare rollouts.  It's been slow-going and that's putting it mildly.

Transit actually turned down the announcements on the buses because passengers was complaining it was too loud, and I always said what about deaf or blind people. Njt is not Ada friendly as you think. It’s sad.

Do you think other transit systems cared if people are unbanked? Look at DART in Delaware, they implemented the system and people adapted. The thing about life, you adapt and find a way. However DART did keep the exact fare boxes in the buses but if you pay with cash you don’t get change and that’s how you force people to get with the program.

Fairview should never be a cash garage, one of the reasons the 158/159 has to run so frequently. It’s a joke. 

22 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Transit actually turned down the announcements on the buses because passengers was complaining it was too loud, and I always said what about deaf or blind people. Njt is not Ada friendly as you think. It’s sad.

Do you think other transit systems cared if people are unbanked? Look at DART in Delaware, they implemented the system and people adapted. The thing about life, you adapt and find a way. However DART did keep the exact fare boxes in the buses but if you pay with cash you don’t get change and that’s how you force people to get with the program.

Fairview should never be a cash garage, one of the reasons the 158/159 has to run so frequently. It’s a joke. 

ADA accessibility has nothing to do with unbanked people though.  ADA just refers to the Americans with Disabilities Act, which requires that announcements be made on the bus for deaf, blind and other people with disabilities, among other things. People that are unbanked deals with accessibility to public transit.  To say that other transit systems didn't care is a huge assumption.  It's more like the percentage of unbanked people is likely low and/or those people have not complained, plus there may be no laws in place that require cash to be accepted.  If so, then you go ahead with the plan.

However, at least here in NYC, elected officials have absolutely raised concerns about unbanked people not being able to pay with cash in the transit system and the City Council passed legislation requiring cash to be accepted in stores and such. Now the percentage of such riders is supposedly small. As I said, I don't know what the percentage is for NJTransit, but either way, whatever plan is rolled out must have accessibility in mind so that everyone that wants to use the system can do so. I should point out that the (MTA)'s OMNY system does allow people to pay with cash at an array of stores to load or reload a card, which has quashed the concerns raised about public transit being accessible to unbanked people.  NJTransit needs to have a similar program.  Once they do, they should absolutely be able to eliminate cash.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well this is the plan with njt fare card which is being developed by a German company. It would allow anyone to go into any store such as a 7 Eleven, Wawa and those type of stores to load fares on the cards. Unbanked will always have an option. Wawa and 7 Eleven is conveniently located throughout the state, although Wawa is not so much in northern Jersey, while 7 eleven is. Walgreens and such would sell the cards as well. The increase of people using mytix has went up greatly thus reducing the amount of cash we are carrying. 

If Penn Plaza can get out of its 1990s act then things will change until then, njt will continue to be what they are. None of those idiots in Penn Plaza want change. 

Speaking of breaking 20s on short trips, it’s gotten to where I have to carry 10s with me as part of my cash fare because I can almost expect it to happen.  Makes my life easier.  

I always carry cash on me when I need it. On my graduation day, I took the train from where I live (along the Boonton Line) to Newark.  By Montclair I got a bit too comfortable and dozed off.  When I woke up, we left Newark Broad Street and I thought of myself screwed.  When I got to Hoboken, I tried to find an alternate way back to get to Ferry St.  There were no trains going back the other direction, so with the $50 in my pocket, I got a cab to take me back to the training facility in time.  Was a pretty big bullet to bite, but I got the job done.  

How would the tap card work with the zone system on buses? Really you would need tap on and tap off, something which buses in other cities have done for years, but is probably above NJT's competency level...

The fact that there are no readers by the back door of the bus tells me that they didn't think this system through.

5 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

How would the tap card work with the zone system on buses? Really you would need tap on and tap off, something which buses in other cities have done for years, but is probably above NJT's competency level...

The fact that there are no readers by the back door of the bus tells me that they didn't think this system through.

You do it the same as now, you tell the driver what zone your getting off at, the driver inputs it in the register and you tap and pay. Simple.