New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

On 3/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, 46Dover said:

Yep.  I was thinking 9 times out of 10 when ever it rains really hard, the electrical systems start going haywire.  Not the case here.  Thankfully I got out of the tunnel and into the right lane.  Former co worker at my former employer said he had the same problem couple weeks back and told me to check the back.  Belts were gone

When “not gen 1 & 2” along with check and stop engine comes on 99% of the time the belt is gone. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why my post earlier didn't show, but...

On 3/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

So I take it the 71/73 B/Os don't enforce that whole pickup/dropoff-only policy too strictly? (On the schedule, it says that for the 71/73, east of Prospect Street is pickup/dropoff-only).

Put it to you this way... You wouldn't even think that a policy was even in place...

On 3/20/2023 at 10:34 AM, 46Dover said:

If you’re referring to the extension into Jersey City yeah, I have yet to see that routing myself

I'd personally like to see some #123's run over to Newport Mall.... With that said, even with the #126 avoiding the helix, I still don't see too much of a point with having 126's run over to Hamilton Park during the rush - especially when you have a sizable portion of #126's literally making every stop along Washington in Hoboken....

On 3/21/2023 at 6:15 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

BTW @B35 via Church apparently at one point, EZRide operated the #827 as the Willowbrook Mall counterpart to the #646 (I don't see the #827 on the list of current shuttle routes unfortunately...wonder if it really had the lower ridership of the two). But yeah, if EZ Ride is operating a free shuttle, there's not much of a point to having the #71 cover the same route.

Regarding that old #827, I have no idea what they're referring to by "Central Industrial Complex"... I also question their reference to a "the Fairfield Industrial Complex".... With the latter, I don't get the sense that they're generally talking about the industrial parts of Fairfield, NJ.... It sounds more like they're referring to a specific part of industrial Fairfield, NJ with that....

As far as the ezride #646, to my knowledge, it generally caters to the part of industrial Fairfield that the Morristown bound NJT #874 runs around.... Over there by Plymouth st, Gardner rd, etc...

Edited by B35 via Church

39 minutes ago, FlashThunder said:

Since when did 165 have following destination sign? Also, where does it end? 

165 EMERSON

Don't know when that signage became a thing, but those trips end at that shopping plaza (Shop Rite, etc.) on the Emerson side of the Emerson-Westwood border.....

Had an nice ride on the 3:01 NEC express to Trenton :D hauled ass on the straightaway. Those 3900 expresses are some of the best express commuter rail runs to fan in the region.

However my train back to NY is 15 to 20 minutes late due to mechanical problems. I hope my return train is an Arrow 3, train I took here was MLV - ALP consist.

Edited by trainfan22

On 3/30/2023 at 10:43 PM, 46Dover said:

Not sure but if you know you’re going to New York City and your bus sign reads NEW YORK CITY....YOU GET ON!!!!!!

And if you're using it for intrastate service and there's multiple NYC-bound routes leaving from there that take different travel paths (e.g. Paterson, Hackensack, Willowbrook Mall etc)?

Though to be fair, you could always ask.

10 minutes ago, Silver Script said:

Quite the random sight I saw this morning with the 6385 on the 1 showing - 199D Newark/ 1 Newark 16th St

I know it was the driver messing around with the destination sign thing but, I wanted to share that. Sucks that I didn't have my phone on me to take a picture.

So it’s already loaded on?  I need to check to see if it’s on the MCIs

Got royally screwed earlier today....

While having gotten off the NJT #40 at Jersey Gardens (at 1:15, a couple mins. early), I had wanted to catch the #24 (A or B, didn't matter)... According to this schedule, the plan called for catching that 1:34 trip....

Turns out, not only did that 1:34 not show up, the proceeding 1:47 never showed up, nor did the 2:14.

Eventually gave up waiting, so I commenced walking towards the #111... It was right at the stop... Perfect - except there were 2 women trying to load 2 strollers into the trunk, and me & these 3 other people tried boarding in the interim were denied service, because the b/o said there were only 2 seats left on the bus... Whatever, I wasn't even mad at that in-particular (but I did say to myself, can this shit get any worse)...

See, after having given up on the #24, the goal was then to walk over to the IKEA to catch a #62 (at that point, I didn't care if it was an Elizabeth or a Newark bound bus, I just wanted to GTFO of that general area).... An Elizabeth bound #62 came first, so I just took that.... I've done said walk several times before; while it's not the safest walk to engage in, I was familiar with it....

Anyway, when I got off the #62 at the last stop, a NY bound #112 was already at the stop (Broad/Jersey)... So now I'm like, Great, I'm gonna get screwed by a light (the #62 dropped us off on the far corner of Broad/Jersey (on Jersey), so I had to cross Broad - which traffic along Broad had the green light)... Luckily, some dude got into a bit of a spat with the b/o over something... Whatever.... That gave me time to scurry across the street & catch the thing (#112)....

Long story short, f*** ONE bus... Either those schedules on the site are old as shit & aren't updated, or THREE whole consecutive buses no showed....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Got royally screwed earlier today....

While having gotten off the NJT #40 at Jersey Gardens (at 1:15, a couple mins. early), I had wanted to catch the #24 (A or B, didn't matter)... According to this schedule, the plan called for catching that 1:34 trip....

Turns out, not only did that 1:34 not show up, the proceeding 1:47 never showed up, nor did the 2:14.

Eventually gave up waiting, so I commenced walking towards the #111... It was right at the stop... Perfect - except there were 2 women trying to load 2 strollers into the trunk, and me & these 3 other people tried boarding in the interim were denied service, because the b/o said there were only 2 seats left on the bus... Whatever, I wasn't even mad at that in-particular (but I did say to myself, can this shit get any worse)...

See, after having given up on the #24, the goal was then to walk over to the IKEA to catch a #62 (at that point, I didn't care if it was an Elizabeth or a Newark bound bus, I just wanted to GTFO of that general area).... An Elizabeth bound #62 came first, so I just took that.... I've done said walk several times before; while it's not the safest walk to engage in, I was familiar with it....

Anyway, when I got off the #62 at the last stop, a NY bound #112 was already at the stop (Broad/Jersey)... So now I'm like, Great, I'm gonna get screwed by a light (the #62 dropped us off on the far corner of Broad/Jersey (on Jersey), so I had to cross Broad - which traffic along Broad had the green light)... Luckily, some dude got into a bit of a spat with the b/o over something... Whatever.... That gave me time to scurry across the street & catch the thing (#112)....

Long story short, f*** ONE bus... Either those schedules on the site are old as shit & aren't updated, or THREE whole consecutive buses no showed....

You thought ONE Bus is reliable with the 24?! That's your first mistake lol.

1 hour ago, go25 said:

Who thought one bus was reliable with anything 😂😂.

I went down to Princeton today to fan the Dinky and the train left 5 minutes early :/

Guess NJT hasn’t lost their charm with on time ness lmao.

@B35 via Church Out of curiosity, what was your original planned itinerary? Were you going to ride all the way out to Orange for the #21, or were you going to catch something at Elizabeth?

Speaking of Orange, I have to say, that area can be a bit deceiving. I was transferring from the #21 to the #41 at Main & High and thinking it had a fairly nice downtown area, and a woman warns me about wearing red, as it might be mistaken as a gang color.

8 hours ago, go25 said:

Lol.... Quips aside though, nobody goes in expecting three consecutive missing trips on a route (assuming the schedules posted on their site are up-to-date)... The latter is what I'm really questioning at this point.

If it was just the first/initial trip that went missing, I wouldn't have made the post.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church Out of curiosity, what was your original planned itinerary? Were you going to ride all the way out to Orange for the #21, or were you going to catch something at Elizabeth?

Speaking of Orange, I have to say, that area can be a bit deceiving. I was transferring from the #21 to the #41 at Main & High and thinking it had a fairly nice downtown area, and a woman warns me about wearing red, as it might be mistaken as a gang color.

For the whole trip, or after I got to JG? If it's the latter, it was to be the #24 - (walk to the) #41 - #62 - #48 (Perth Amboy) - #116 - #166T - #167.... So to answer the question, I was going to ride the #24 the whole way.....

If the #62 never served IKEA let's say, then I would've waited for the next #111, because I was not about to double back on the #40.... Last week Sunday, I took the Bx29 (after years of having not been out to CIty Island), and even then, I felt funny about doubling back on it - and that's considering that being the only option out there... Lol...

As for Orange's downtown, I feel right at home, because it more or less reminds of the Flatbush av. strip over in Flatbush.... If by nice you mean the area is lively, then it's definitely that.... Any other iteration of the word, I'd say it's anything but (that).... Speaking of deception, every time I pass through (or even think about) Harrison, it just screams fool's gold /  lipstick on a pig to me....

I would like to give credit to Oradell Garage as I've noticed that their cruisers buses from an outside appearance looking sharp and shiny, as if they were new. Even most of them have their rims clean. I know that Oradell has had a crappy bus wash system, but since the later part of winter I'm looking at the backs of these cruisers and boy they clean as heck. I even saw coach 8270 (D4000) look good from an outside appearance. Oradell  might give Howell a run for their money

On 3/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, 46Dover said:

One thing I’d like to ask the programmer of these destination signs is why the ridiculous indentation:

195  CEDAR GROVE

WILLOWBROOK 

"751 BOGO

TA"

Would like to have a word with you, sir.