New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'll play along.....

Lol.... What difference would it make? A contracted private operator is a private operator..... Whether said private operator is operating service for some other entity, or whether said private operator is operating service for themselves. would change absolutely nothing (with respect to what you were asked)......

Regardless of the nature of this question you're asking me here, the only person who can even answer it, is you..... That's what's kinda funny here.... I mean, you vaguely inquire about GWB having private carriers, but expect someone else to answer a follow-up question, consisting of if "we" meant [private operators under contract] or [private operators that aren't (if that's what you mean by "regular private operators")]....

Even if I didn't believe you were trolling with your original question, what transit provider{s} did you believe operated out of GWB Bus Terminal?

Not sure why your turning this into a somewhat kind of argument when it was a legit question, but I'll play along to;

To my understanding there is a big difference between contracted private operators and regular private operators. I was told by friends that contracted private operators are allowed to enter and pickup in terminals like GWB and PABT, but regular private operators aren't allowed to.

There was no trolling at all involved, I just don't know about any other bus system other then the ones in NYC.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not sure why your turning this into a somewhat kind of argument when it was a legit question, but I'll play along to;

To my understanding there is a big difference between contracted private operators and regular private operators. I was told by friends that contracted private operators are allowed to enter and pickup in terminals like GWB and PABT, but regular private operators aren't allowed to.

There was no trolling at all involved, I just don't know about any other bus system other then the ones in NYC.

You have quite the history of asking a myriad of dubious questions on this forum, that's why.... It's hard to take you & your inquiries seriously.

There is a wealth of information on this forum & you've been on here long enough to at least have picked up *something* as it relates to the in's & out's of GWB Bus Terminal outside of anything NJT related - but supposedly, you don't know about any other bus system other than the ones in NYC.... You're not some new kid on the block, & I'd like to believe that you're not slow, so let's cut the oblivious act already....

It doesn't make sense that someone truly unaware that private operators operated out of GWB, would later ask about contracted private operators or (whatever you mean by) "regular" private operators - when asked if they only thought NJT operated out of GWB.... Whether the private operation operated on a contract or not, would be irrelevant..... It would be one thing if you didn't know the specific routes under private operation, but to be oblivious of any other operators than NJT operating in/out of GWB? Come on.

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You have quite the history of asking a myriad of dubious questions on this forum, that's why.... It's hard to take you & your inquiries seriously.

There is a wealth of information on this forum & you've been on here long enough to at least have picked up *something* as it relates to the in's & out's of GWB Bus Terminal outside of anything NJT related - but supposedly, you don't know about any other bus system other than the ones in NYC.... You're not some new kid on the block, & I'd like to believe that you're not slow, so let's cut the oblivious act already....

It doesn't make sense that someone truly unaware that private operators operated out of GWB, would later ask about contracted private operators or (whatever you mean by) "regular" private operators - when asked if they only thought NJT operated out of GWB.... Whether the private operation operated on a contract or not, would be irrelevant..... It would be one thing if you didn't know the specific routes under private operation, but to be oblivious of any other operators than NJT operating in/out of GWB? Come on.

And in life you ask questions. That's how you learn.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess Newton Avenue ( Camden) is doing the same thing as Washington Twp; throwing any bus on any run..

While the new MCIs have been used for 400 and 403 trips ( at least once a day).  Today I noticed Camden do the same thing.

19150 is on the 455 to Paulsboro now ( about to end the run for the night)

19127 was on the 405/407 this morning.  

Just strange to see MCIs on other Newton Avenue routes especially on the 455 which doesn't even serve the city of Camden. 

All of Camden's routes are Exact Fare except the 316, 317 and 409

The 400, 403, 459 and 463 are Exact Fare lines out of Turnersville. I think all of them except for the 463 has seen an MCI bus appear on a run in recent weeks. 

I wonder if this will continue once fares are being collected again. 

3 minutes ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

I guess Newton Avenue ( Camden) is doing the same thing as Washington Twp; throwing any bus on any run..

While the new MCIs have been used for 400 and 403 trips ( at least once a day).  Today I noticed Camden do the same thing.

19150 is on the 455 to Paulsboro now ( about to end the run for the night)

19127 was on the 405/407 this morning.  

Just strange to see MCIs on other Newton Avenue routes especially on the 455 which doesn't even serve the city of Camden. 

All of Camden's routes are Exact Fare except the 316, 317 and 409

The 400, 403, 459 and 463 are Exact Fare lines out of Turnersville. I think all of them except for the 463 has seen an MCI bus appear on a run in recent weeks. 

I wonder if this will continue once fares are being collected again. 

Personally this would be the time for NJT to make the MCI lines exact fare. But once again the company can’t come to an agreement and saying it’s going to cost too much money. Well guess what they are losing tons of money and the feds going to get sick of the bailouts with 0% farebox recovery since the pandemic began.

Back to the mcis on the nabi lines. Since cash is not being collected now it’s like whatever put anything out there and with the amount of drivers out they just don’t care about this point. Just put a bus out there and run it.

Now eht the only lines the MCI can run on a nabi line is the 507/508 but with the towns so strict in the areas of eht with weight limits you won’t see mcis on none of their nabi lines.

Been reading about some of the bus routes that NJT contracts out to private operators- the Academy lines  to/from Wall Street via Holland Tunnel.  Got me thinking; there's a terminal at the NY end of GWB, a terminal at the NY end of Lincoln Tunnel... any case to be made for a small/medium bus terminal for NJT somewhere on the west side of Lower Manhattan?

4 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Been reading about some of the bus routes that NJT contracts out to private operators- the Academy lines  to/from Wall Street via Holland Tunnel.  Got me thinking; there's a terminal at the NY end of GWB, a terminal at the NY end of Lincoln Tunnel... any case to be made for a small/medium bus terminal for NJT somewhere on the west side of Lower Manhattan?

There's no space and most, if not all of those Lower Manhattan-NJ routes are rush hour, peak direction only. 

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's no space and most, if not all of those Lower Manhattan-NJ routes are rush hour, peak direction only. 

There's probably not space for a full-fledged monolith like PABT or GWB, I agree, but personally I think there is something to be said for a small dedicated pickup/drop-off/turnaround facility, considering the high ridership I've seen on those Holland Tunnel routes.  Something like a NJT version of Williamsburg Bus Plaza could make sense.  There's too many routes being funneled through the Lincoln Tunnel as it is.

20 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Personally this would be the time for NJT to make the MCI lines exact fare. But once again the company can’t come to an agreement and saying it’s going to cost too much money. Well guess what they are losing tons of money and the feds going to get sick of the bailouts with 0% farebox recovery since the pandemic began.

Back to the mcis on the nabi lines. Since cash is not being collected now it’s like whatever put anything out there and with the amount of drivers out they just don’t care about this point. Just put a bus out there and run it.

Now eht the only lines the MCI can run on a nabi line is the 507/508 but with the towns so strict in the areas of eht with weight limits you won’t see mcis on none of their nabi lines.

I agree with you with the MCI lines becoming Exact Fare routes.   The 400 and 403 are very busy lines and the NABIs don't have as many seats, it was nice to see them on there frequently before those lines became Exact Fare back in 2010.    NJ Transit is the only agency I know that still utilizes Full Service Fare routes.  With the way things are going with the virus, Exact Fare would be safer as cash handling could likely contribute to the spread of it.   I also think NJ Transit should consider mobile and Cashless Fares.  I live in the Bay Area now, all of our agencies use Cashless and mobile fares, I rarely notice people getting on the buses with cash.  

And three of our agencies use MCI D4500 buses, they have fareboxes on them in addition to FOBs to tag for cashless fares. 

Edited by Tranzitfan81

On 7/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, Tranzitfan81 said:

I agree with you with the MCI lines becoming Exact Fare routes.   The 400 and 403 are very busy lines and the NABIs don't have as many seats, it was nice to see them on there frequently before those lines became Exact Fare back in 2010.    NJ Transit is the only agency I know that still utilizes Full Service Fare routes.  With the way things are going with the virus, Exact Fare would be safer as cash handling could likely contribute to the spread of it.   I also think NJ Transit should consider mobile and Cashless Fares.  I live in the Bay Area now, all of our agencies use Cashless and mobile fares, I rarely notice people getting on the buses with cash.  

And three of our agencies use MCI D4500 buses, they have fareboxes on them in addition to FOBs to tag for cashless fares. 

Njt unfortunately says converting will cost too much. They are worried about where people one lines the like 197, 553, 600, 70, and such will get access to cards. Simple solution like what SEPTA does is sell the cards in Walmart, and convenience stores. Njt has no intention of converting and as of August 30th they want to resume cash, which I will refuse to touch.

Well it’s been awhile, due to coronavirus, the subsequent layoff and sickness.  But things are looking up for me.  Starting August 6, Lakeland’s loss will be NJ Transit’s gain as I will begin training for my new job as a bus operator out of Wayne garage

15 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Well it’s been awhile, due to coronavirus, the subsequent layoff and sickness.  But things are looking up for me.  Starting August 6, Lakeland’s loss will be NJ Transit’s gain as I will begin training for my new job as a bus operator out of Wayne garage

Good to hear that you're back working, bro.

17 hours ago, 46Dover said:

A part of me thought you'd be a Howell guy, have fun with the Paterson crowd😆

Does Meadowlands have trips on the 156/R? 20803 was doing the 156R yesterday and I was wondering whether the bus was briefly loaned/transferred to Fairview, or if Meadowlands has 156/R trips that I'm just not aware of. Sorry if it's a bit of a stupid question, I'm not that familiar with njt depot-route assignments.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The southern division guys are still in one piece... So he'll be alright :D

Hopefully he'll spend most of his time doing the Willowbrook expresses.

With respect to the Wayne/Willowbrook expresses, if he would get the 193 or 324, those are probably the easier ones (in terms of time between terminals, passengers loads, and route). Good luck though with a 197 Warwick trip, LOL. It may not be like the 190 in terms of ridership loads & distribution but it's quite a trip. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/25/2020 at 12:32 AM, Cait Sith said:

A part of me thought you'd be a Howell guy, have fun with the Paterson crowd😆

The one thing I struggled with the Prospect of working out of Wayne:  Paterson (🤮).  Not since my days at Community have I had the pleasure of traversing those streets.

Four words: Grin and bear it 😄

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

With respect to the Wayne/Willowbrook expresses, if he would get the 193 or 324, those are probably the easier ones (in terms of time between terminals, passengers loads, and route). Good luck though with a 197 Warwick trip, LOL. It may not be like the 190 in terms of ridership loads & distribution but it's quite a trip. 

Some drivers prefer the shorter trips, some prefer the longer ones, some don't give a shit either way (as long as they got a job).... But yeah, in terms of those criteria you list, the #193 is a point to point express to/from the mall & the #324 only serves the 2 park & rides up there.....

If I drove a bus for a living & had my pick of the litter, it would be of runs consisting of longer routes/less trips.... I'm one of these people that enjoy driving for long periods of time.... Would like to go on a roadtrip, but IDK where I should even go..... Anyway, doing something like the #320 (I know that's Meadowlands) all day would "drive" me nuts..... I don't see how those t/o's go back & forth & back & forth & back & forth on the 42nd st (S)....

Edited by B35 via Church

36 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Your going to see a lot of 190, especially the night ones. That’s their most frequent line. Runs 7 and 8 on the 161 lol good luck. 

Rumor has it there are lots of retirements so I’m hoping for something a little “humane” in spite of my impending (lack of) seniority 🤷🏽‍♂️

13 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Does Meadowlands have trips on the 156/R? 20803 was doing the 156R yesterday and I was wondering whether the bus was briefly loaned/transferred to Fairview, or if Meadowlands has 156/R trips that I'm just not aware of. Sorry if it's a bit of a stupid question, I'm not that familiar with njt depot-route assignments.

Yes they do have trips on those routes not a stupid question at all what’s I find odd is the person or people making these decisions Fairview and others are in dire need of new articulated buses but they would send them to meadowlands inept if you asked me 

Edited by Suydam Street