New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Guess I just have to learn how to use them. The buses I've driven before have retarder activate as soon as your foot leaves the accelerator.

Those are Allison transmission buses that activate that way. ZF transmission they only become active when you press the service brake and turn off when you release the service brake. That’s why we are called bus operators we do not drive these buses. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, Lawrence St said:

Jesus, Berginline is an absolute shit show with all of these jitney drivers driving like maniacs all over the place, along with these delivery bikes. Respect to whoever operates the 159...

I can't figure out how the Jitneys work to save my life. 159 and 181 all day for me.

At least with NJT you actually know which buses run where at what time and however often they run...

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I can't figure out how the Jitneys work to save my life. 159 and 181 all day for me.

At least with NJT you actually know which buses run where at what time and however often they run...

Simple, they run everyone off the road and act like they own the streets.

Do those 2020-2021 MCIs at Oradell run in service on their routes or they are there for some other reason? 

Reason I ask is I only see 20 year old D4000s on Oradell routes whenever I'm in Jersey or ride routes out of that depot. Isn't that the garage that can't fit 45 FT MCIs? The roster on here says that theres 20-21 MCIs assigned there....

Ops and riders of Oradell routes really got the short end of the stick, seems every other NJT garage with MCIs have fairly new units as the bulk of the fleet whereas Oradell fleet is mostly made up of 20 year old buses. I like those mini MCI with the DD60 so their old age don't bother me but I'd imagine daily riders of their routes feel different.

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Do those 2020-2021 MCIs at Oradell run in service on their routes or they are there for some other reason? 

Reason I ask is I only see 20 year old D4000s on Oradell routes whenever I'm in Jersey or ride routes out of that depot. Isn't that the garage that can't fit 45 FT MCIs? The roster on here says that theres 20-21 MCIs assigned there....

Ops and riders of Oradell routes really got the short end of the stick, seems every other NJT garage with MCIs have fairly new units as the bulk of the fleet whereas Oradell fleet is mostly made up of 20 year old buses. I like those mini MCI with the DD60 so their old age don't bother me but I'd imagine daily riders of their routes feel different.

Yes, those 2020-21 MCIs belong to them now. Whether or not you see them a lot depends on where you are, as I've seen the bulk of them on Blvd East (165, 166, 168) or along Teaneck Road (167/177). 

The garage can't hold 45' buses. But they're not using it right now since it was flooded out by Ida. They're using Garden State Plaza to stage everything, plus they're getting help from Meadowlands and Fairview IINM. However before Ida, they were making do with the space they had to squeeze what they could in that space. 

14 hours ago, DaTransitMan4608 said:

Yes, those 2020-21 MCIs belong to them now. Whether or not you see them a lot depends on where you are, as I've seen the bulk of them on Blvd East (165, 166, 168) or along Teaneck Road (167/177). 

The garage can't hold 45' buses. But they're not using it right now since it was flooded out by Ida. They're using Garden State Plaza to stage everything, plus they're getting help from Meadowlands and Fairview IINM. However before Ida, they were making do with the space they had to squeeze what they could in that space. 

Oradell is STILL flooded?

An absolute sh!tshow on the 177x today. 

There was a broken down 772 NABI on Washington Ave that closed one lane off and there was massive traffic jam with cars and other buses trying to get around it. It was still there when I did a return trip.

Side note - whats up with the 772 route? When I was laid over I took a look at the schedule and it's a cluster****. Who in their right mind is going from Hackensack to Bergen CC via New Milford?

I dont even understand the southern half of this route, why are off peak buses service an industrial area that is more then likely closed at that hour?

I just have to emphasis how crappy the Central Jersey bus routes are...

There is NO reason why it is so hard to get from Perth Amboy to Old Bridge, or anywhere to Old Bridge for that matter. It is almost like there is this gap in service between where the 116 ends and the 139's last stop in Old Bridge

There are 8XX routes connecting some destinations here and there, but they are infrequent (which is understandable) and the seem to try to serve everything and nothing at the same time

For example, the 817. This bus literally attempts to serve all the towns between Perth Amboy and Monmouth. Ridership is close to non existent after South Amboy. Adding to this, it terminates at Campbell junction, which is in the middle of nowhere. I mean aleast extend it to Middletown or Red Banks or something.

Its so hard to get anywhere to anywhere that is not from somewhere on Rt 9 to NYC in that region especially East-West travel. I guess NJT just expected people to drive to Rt 9 and go from there, which would explain the amount of buses they pile on that corridor (which is much more than the rail service they provide on NJ Coast Line esp south of Long Branch)

Some new corridors I am thinking includes something on Rt 33 to Princeton from Freehold, and something on Rt 1 north  of where the 600 currently terminates out to New Brunswick. 

Can't wait for the redesign of the bus routes in this region

Edited by Mtatransit

On 10/15/2021 at 1:10 AM, Lawrence St said:

Side note - whats up with the 772 route? When I was laid over I took a look at the schedule and it's a cluster****. Who in their right mind is going from Hackensack to Bergen CC via New Milford?

I dont even understand the southern half of this route, why are off peak buses service an industrial area that is more then likely closed at that hour?

The #772 went from running between [Secaucus RR station - New Milford (via Hackensack)] to running between [E. Rutherford - Paramus (specifically Bergen Comm. College)].... Only the southern portion of the route would run during the weekend (with the aforementioned old routing running b/w Secaucus & Hackensack, and today's setup with it running b/w American Dream & Hackensack).... To your first two questions, the basic structure of the northern part of the route is to connect all the other towns the thing serves, to either [Hackensack] or [the college & the hospital in Paramus]... The extraction of having the thing serve Secaucus to have it serve Paramus instead, I would say saved the route... The basic structure of the northern part of the old routing was to connect all the areas north of Hackensack proper, to Hackensack....

It seems like they keep making changes to the routing patterns & scheduling every 2-3 years or so.... Don't remember when it happened, but at one point, they had cut weekend service well after the Secaucus-Paramus swap (I'll call it)... Had it not been for the advent/opening of American Dream, the #772 would still be a weekday only route (running b/w Meadowlands & Paramus (Bergen CC))....

When you say industrial area in regards to the southern part of the #772, what exactly do you mean? Moonachie is almost 100% industrial (crazy enough) & running through it offers for the most direct path b/w Hackensack & Meadowlands/American Dream, so I'm not sure what else you think buses should do in that regard.... Aside from that, it's the only full time route that serves Gotham Pkwy. (and Commerce Blvd. for the matter); I don't have much of a problem with it.... If they're not riding up to Hackensack, the people that utilize the #772 in Moonachie off-peak often ride to American Dream for the #703 during the weekday to get to/from their places of residence.... Being that the #85 now runs to American Dream, I'm pretty sure the same phenomenon is going on with that route with the Union City folks & what not....

I have an idea as to what should be done with the #772 & I'll put it in the NJT proposals thread later on....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The #772 went from running between [Secaucus RR station - New Milford (via Hackensack)] to running between [E. Rutherford - Paramus (specifically Bergen Comm. College)].... Only the southern portion of the route would run during the weekend (with the aforementioned old routing running b/w Secaucus & Hackensack, and today's setup with it running b/w American Dream & Hackensack).... To your first two questions, the basic structure of the northern part of the route is to connect all the other towns the thing serves, to either [Hackensack] or [the college & the hospital in Paramus]... The extraction of having the thing serve Secaucus to have it serve Paramus instead, I would say saved the route... The basic structure of the northern part of the old routing was to connect all the areas north of Hackensack proper, to Hackensack....

It seems like they keep making changes to the routing patterns & scheduling every 2-3 years or so.... Don't remember when it happened, but at one point, they had cut weekend service well after the Secaucus-Paramus swap (I'll call it)... Had it not been for the advent/opening of American Dream, the #772 would still be a weekday only route (running b/w Meadowlands & Paramus (Bergen CC))....

When you say industrial area in regards to the southern part of the #772, what exactly do you mean? Moonachie is almost 100% industrial (crazy enough) & running through it offers for the most direct path b/w Hackensack & Meadowlands/American Dream, so I'm not sure what else you think buses should do in that regard.... Aside from that, it's the only full time route that serves Gotham Pkwy. (and Commerce Blvd. for the matter); I don't have much of a problem with it.... If they're not riding up to Hackensack, the people that utilize the #772 in Moonachie off-peak often ride to American Dream for the #703 during the weekday to get to/from their places of residence.... Being that the #85 now runs to American Dream, I'm pretty sure the same phenomenon is going on with that route with the Union City folks & what not....

I have an idea as to what should be done with the #772 & I'll put it in the NJT proposals thread later on....

I actually took a ride on the 772 on Friday (needed something to do on my day off), along the route, we picked up zero people (during the rush) between Bergen CC & Bergenfield, got maybe 4 people after that, didn't pick up anyone until Hackensack where everyone who was already on got off, then 2 people got off at Little Ferry and the didn't pick up anyone all the way to Rutherford. 

On the trip back towards Hackensack, no one got on/off along Gotham Pkwy, Commerce Blvd, or Moonachie and it was like that the rest of the day.

What I would do with the 772 on weekdays is have the 772G only run via Gotham Pkwy during rush hours only or on request towards Rutherford.

That is also not the most direct route, buses can go straight down Washington Av to Route 120 and then go across to the Complex to skip Gotham Pkwy.

Edited by Lawrence St

27 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I actually took a ride on the 772 on Friday (needed something to do on my day off), along the route, we picked up zero people (during the rush) between Bergen CC & Bergenfield, got maybe 4 people after that, didn't pick up anyone until Hackensack where everyone who was already on got off, then 2 people got off at Little Ferry and the didn't pick up anyone all the way to Rutherford. 

On the trip back towards Hackensack, no one got on/off along Gotham Pkwy, Commerce Blvd, or Moonachie and it was like that the rest of the day.

What I would do with the 772 on weekdays is have the 772G only run via Gotham Pkwy during rush hours only or on request towards Rutherford.

Now you see why the thing doesn't run north of Hackensack on weekends... That's the #762's job & even that route struggles to garner anything resembling sizable ridership.... The vast majority of those #700 numbered Bergen County local routes are low performing... The #712 & the #770 do well enough b/c they both run to Paterson (with the latter transporting about 1/3rd the ridership of the former)... The #780 b/c it runs to Passaic - even though patronage b/w Passaic & Hackensack is about the same as that of patronage b/w Englewood & Hackensack....  Have it not be for Downtown Englewood, the eastern half of the #780 would be just as low performing as the northern portion of the #772 throughout most of the day...

You mention Bergenfield - that stretch along North/South Washington av. has a nice chunk of people waiting for buses (in general) along it... Problem is, most those folks gun for #167's - even the people that disembark before the thing turns off Teaneck rd....

The "on request" thing sounds nice when it's read from somewhere or stated by somebody, but when it's put into practice on a fixed route, it's generally frowned upon by riders, as it's viewed as a nuisance during a commute... At minimum, you're better off running it over there rush hours only...

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Now you see why the thing doesn't run north of Hackensack on weekends... That's the #762's job & even that route struggles to garner anything resembling sizable ridership.... The vast majority of those #700 numbered Bergen County local routes are low performing... The #712 & the #770 do well enough b/c they both run to Paterson (with the latter transporting about 1/3rd the ridership of the former)... The #780 b/c it runs to Passaic - even though patronage b/w Passaic & Hackensack is about the same as that of patronage b/w Englewood & Hackensack....  Have it not be for Downtown Englewood, the eastern half of the #780 would be just as low performing as the northern portion of the #772 throughout most of the day...

You mention Bergenfield - that stretch along North/South Washington av. has a nice chunk of people waiting for buses (in general) along it... Problem is, most those folks gun for #167's - even the people that disembark before the thing turns off Teaneck rd....

The "on request" thing sounds nice when it's read from somewhere or stated by somebody, but when it's put into practice on a fixed route, it's generally frowned upon by riders, as it's viewed as a nuisance during a commute... At minimum, you're better off running it over there rush hours only...

I agree, it's a waste of fuel to run the thing via Gotham Pkwy outside of rush hours, and NJT wonders why they're always short on money. 

It also shouldn't be running to BCC as much as it does now, maybe 3 trips each day would suffice, one at 8 AM, 12 PM and 4 PM for the students.

14 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I just have to emphasis how crappy the Central Jersey bus routes are...

There is NO reason why it is so hard to get from Perth Amboy to Old Bridge, or anywhere to Old Bridge for that matter. It is almost like there is this gap in service between where the 116 ends and the 139's last stop in Old Bridge

There are 8XX routes connecting some destinations here and there, but they are infrequent (which is understandable) and the seem to try to serve everything and nothing at the same time

For example, the 817. This bus literally attempts to serve all the towns between Perth Amboy and Monmouth. Ridership is close to non existent after South Amboy. Adding to this, it terminates at Campbell junction, which is in the middle of nowhere. I mean aleast extend it to Middletown or Red Banks or something.

Its so hard to get anywhere to anywhere that is not from somewhere on Rt 9 to NYC in that region especially East-West travel. I guess NJT just expected people to drive to Rt 9 and go from there, which would explain the amount of buses they pile on that corridor (which is much more than the rail service they provide on NJ Coast Line esp south of Long Branch)

Some new corridors I am thinking includes something on Rt 33 to Princeton from Freehold, and something on Rt 1 north  of where the 600 currently terminates out to New Brunswick. 

Can't wait for the redesign of the bus routes in this region

Everything & nothing at the same time... That could be Central NJ's slogan!

Seriously though, I've said a couple times on here that CNJ's network is sorely lacking (in so many words), so I definitely agree that a revamp is in order for the entire region.... The #810 rivals the Kingda Ka with how fast it's rapidly declining, the #811 is an unofficial senior citizen shuttle, #813 plays tug-of-war with itself - TWICE!!! I mean honestly, does anyone even take buses to/from Raritan Ctr. anymore?, #814 is a fast growing afterthought once it serves anything with "Brunswick" not in the town or city's name, #815 & #817 (as you put it) are routes that serve everything & nothing at the same time, so to speak... #818 is a failed senior citizen shuttle on one half of the route & a shopper's shuttle on the other half (even the #440 shopper in Jersey City is less of a shopper's shuttle than the northern half of this thing), #819 is a failed coverage route THREE times over (like, how does this even happen, honestly?), #822 - you could replace this with one of the Budweiser Clydesdale's & not a god damn bit of difference would be made......

That's just the Middlesex county ones.... Even though these routes are more compact (or should I say, less drawn out), the Monmouth county locals perform even worse... They're what you get when a dog chases its own tail... Great for a ride to/from Red Bank or Asbury & not much else....

Then you have routes that do their best to connect you to CNJ (that isn't route 9 centric), like the #116 (as you stated) & the #48.... #317 also fits the bill, but the demand for SNJ-CNJ isn't nearly as strong as the demand for NNJ-CNJ..... Oh yeah, forgot about the #6x routes - #63, 64, 67, 68.... #67 is more or less an intrastate #139 (and then some) & the other 3 are Weehawken - CNJ connectors... While noble, they're only peak only commuter routes....

Academy only offers peak only service & there is a need to get b/w NYC & the shore points throughout various times of the day... That's part of the problem too; there's competition b/w [NJT] & [Academy & Coach USA] as far as serving CNJ in general goes.... 

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I agree, it's a waste of fuel to run the thing via Gotham Pkwy outside of rush hours, and NJT wonders why they're always short on money. 

It also shouldn't be running to BCC as much as it does now, maybe 3 trips each day would suffice, one at 8 AM, 12 PM and 4 PM for the students.

That's the other point I wanted to make in my last post that I was trying to remember... Thank you.

There's way too much mileage being wasted across several routes running in/out of Bergen CC... Not to say that nothing should serve it, but there's really no need to have that many god damn routes serving that college - even during these tough covid times - even considering that part of Bergen county doesn't have too many places that a bus route can feasibly be terminated (which I think is a factor as well)...

Edited by B35 via Church

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Everything & nothing at the same time... That could be Central NJ's slogan!

Seriously though, I've said a couple times on here that CNJ's network is sorely lacking (in so many words), so I definitely agree that a revamp is in order for the entire region.... The #810 rivals the Kingda Ka with how fast it's rapidly declining, the #811 is an unofficial senior citizen shuttle, #813 plays tug-of-war with itself - TWICE!!! I mean honestly, does anyone even take buses to/from Raritan Ctr. anymore?, #814 is a fast growing afterthought once it serves anything with "Brunswick" not in the town or city's name, #815 & #817 (as you put it) are routes that serve everything & nothing at the same time, so to speak... #818 is a failed senior citizen shuttle on one half of the route & a shopper's shuttle on the other half (even the #440 shopper in Jersey City is less of a shopper's shuttle than the northern half of this thing), #819 is a failed coverage route THREE times over (like, how does this even happen, honestly?), #822 - you could replace this with one of the Budweiser Clydesdale's & not a god damn bit of difference would be made......

That's just the Middlesex county ones.... Even though these routes are more compact (or should I say, less drawn out), the Monmouth county locals perform even worse... They're what you get when a dog chases its own tail... Great for a ride to/from Red Bank or Asbury & not much else....

Then you have routes that do their best to connect you to CNJ (that isn't route 9 centric), like the #116 (as you stated) & the #48.... #317 also fits the bill, but the demand for SNJ-CNJ isn't nearly as strong as the demand for NNJ-CNJ..... Oh yeah, forgot about the #6x routes - #63, 64, 67, 68.... #67 is more or less an intrastate #139 (and then some) & the other 3 are Weehawken - CNJ connectors... While noble, they're only peak only commuter routes....

Academy only offers peak only service & there is a need to get b/w NYC & the shore points throughout various times of the day... That's part of the problem too; there's competition b/w [NJT] & [Academy & Coach USA] as far as serving CNJ in general goes.... 

That's the other point I wanted to make in my last post that I was trying to remember... Thank you.

There's way too much mileage being wasted across several routes running in/out of Bergen CC... Not to say that nothing should serve it, but there's really no need to have that many god damn routes serving that college - even during these tough covid times - even considering that part of Bergen county doesn't have too many places that a bus route can feasibly be terminated (which I think is a factor as well)...

Another thing I noticed is that stupid "detour" via River Rd/Route 4 instead of going directly across the Cedar Ln Bridge. I use quotation marks because they say ita a detour yet the bridge is fully open...

Well it appears that Wayne Garage is helping Market Street with some local route trips. Saw an MCI this early morning downtown Paterson doing route 72. I thought either the headsign malfunctioned or the driver just decided to have it on display. Until I saw some people on board...a good amount, then I was like hmm. 

This evening during rush hour, again in Paterson saw Wayne's MCI helping Market Street. This time it was working on route 74. What the hell is going on with Market Street? I mean this isn't shocking news that a MCI has worked local intra state routes

Took the 139 down south to Freehold yesterday. Traffic was absolutely horrible, so bad that 2 buses were running 30 minutes late back to back. Feel bad for those people standing between Old Bridge and PABT, especially with that traffic. There is no way it only takes 1 hr and 20 minutes to get from Freehold to PABT. The bus took an hour from Old Bridge to PABT, and that was with the driver flooring it.

Turns out, the Freehold Mall that NJT likes to emphasis on the headsign is not Freehold Raceway Mall but a half abandoned "Freehold Mall with a parking lot and Burlington". At Freehold Mall or elsewhere on Rt 9, everyone was picked up/dropped off by a car waiting.

I walked down US 9 for a bit until I realized it was impossible and took the 67 one stop back to Raceway. Should've gotten off at Freehold Center and walked to the Raceway Mall from there. 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, B35 via Church said:

the demand for SNJ-CNJ isn't nearly as strong as the demand for NNJ-CNJ

I think alot of that has to do with the commuter traffic between NNJ-CNJ. Without NJT service on Rt 9 to NYC, service to NNJ from CNJ is comparable with the ones from SNJ-CNJ (maybe even worse). Due to this commuter traffic, NJT runs pretty frequent service on Rt 9 to NYC. Much more frequent than anywhere else in CNJ, or even SNJ (It almost looks like NJT barely even want to serve Philadelphia at all (comparable to NJT telling NYC commuters to take PATH to Newark for bus service).

Most of the commuter traffic from Philadelphia/Camden seems to only extend as far as the last stop on the PATCO. 

That being said, what do you think about extending the 139 into Toms River and cutting the 559 to Toms River as well? If we can find a way to create a "pulse" at Toms River between 319, 552, 139 and 67, I think that should serve everyone's need perfectly

Apparently Academy and Coach USA still makes a decent profit (pre-pandemic) on these commuter routes. With them there, I don't see NJT coming in and improving service on them. Its a shame because some corridors do have potential for off peak/reverse peak service. 

Then there is also this peak Academy bus on weekdays to Wall Street on Rt 9 which I think NJT used to run until that was cut in 2010.

Oh yeah, forgot about the #6x routes - #63, 64, 67, 68.... #67 is more or less an intrastate #139 (and then some) & the other 3 are Weehawken - CNJ connectors... While noble, they're only peak only commuter routes....

Even these routes are designed to carry commuters from points along Rt 9 into Jersey City/Weehawken/Hoboken/Newark. 

Edited by Mtatransit