New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know the reason behind the massive MCI switching?

It seems like all the South Jersey buses are coming up north, while North Jersey buses are going south. Pretty much every garage that has MCIs in the 2016-2022 order were affected. Wayne is getting 18000s while some of Wayne's 19000s are going South. What's the reason behind all this swapping?

I'm guessing it has to do with Oradell getting new 45's transferred in from other garages, but that doesn't explain the switching between other garages. My guess is that garages that lost a lot of their buses to Oradell will get 22000s next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was a field day for the wrecker. Spotted 3 MCI buses (one at a time of course) being towed on the same street in Bergen County heading south, and today I think I even spotted a NABI being towed though I did not have a full view as it was passing by.

On another note, I have noticed that there is a regular caravan of 2 to 4 buses being driven in the wee hours of the morning from Oradell garage to the south almost daily, but they are a mix of the '01-02's as well as the new buses. Any idea what that could be for? Bus swapping? 

I have seen more than a handful now of the 2021's on the 165 and other lines. That has been a welcome sight and a long time waiting. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is anecdotal, but I've heard that the Rockland 20000s and 21000s might never go into service, my guess is probably due to low ridership from the pandemic.

If this were the case, what would happen to these buses? It's a lot of buses, so not sure if returning to NJT or transferring to another private carrier would cause a surplus of buses.

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

This is anecdotal, but I've heard that the Rockland 20000s and 21000s might never go into service, my guess is probably due to low ridership from the pandemic.

If this were the case, what would happen to these buses? It's a lot of buses, so not sure if returning to NJT or transferring to another private carrier would cause a surplus of buses.

They would probably go to ShortLine and Community Coach because if ridership is that low, Rockland Coaches would be merged into the ShortLine base.

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

They run a very limited service and the buses are not full. They’ll do what Suburban did just have the buses sitting until they end up using them. 

59 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

They run a very limited service and the buses are not full. They’ll do what Suburban did just have the buses sitting until they end up using them. 

AFAIK Suburban is only running their 20000s in terms of NJT cruisers rn. Their 17000s haven't been used much if at all since their 20000s entered service. I think this is largely because Suburban's buses are driver-specific, meaning each driver always drives the same bus.

1 hour ago, JAzumah said:

They would probably go to ShortLine and Community Coach because if ridership is that low, Rockland Coaches would be merged into the ShortLine base.

Yeah I guess this may be what happens.

38 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

AFAIK Suburban is only running their 20000s in terms of NJT cruisers rn. Their 17000s haven't been used much if at all since their 20000s entered service. I think this is largely because Suburban's buses are driver-specific, meaning each driver always drives the same bus.

Yeah I guess this may be what happens.

Very wasteful!!!! NJ Transit should take most of those buses away and use them to fill Oradell, Fairview and possibly Paterson's new bus order.  Then send the remaining few buses to the three South Jersey garages that are also now short MCIs due at the expense of Oradell. 

4 hours ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

Very wasteful!!!! NJ Transit should take most of those buses away and use them to fill Oradell, Fairview and possibly Paterson's new bus order.  Then send the remaining few buses to the three South Jersey garages that are also now short MCIs due at the expense of Oradell. 

I suspect that NJT will rotate unused cruisers into NJT service, but those buses will not move before Labor Day. September 7 will be the next (and largest) wave of commuters returning to work. At that point, private carriers will have to use or lose buses.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

I’d like to try the 319 as a driver.  I was next to a guy at Wayne garage who was offered to do it a few months back.  

Do you prefer doing local routes, or full service routes, or does it simply not matter (as you're still driving a bus regardless.. lol)?

On 8/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, B35 via Church said:

Do you prefer doing local routes, or full service routes, or does it simply not matter (as you're still driving a bus regardless.. lol)?

Aside from my gripe of putting up with all the self important people every Sunday trying to get into New York causing upwards of 30-45 minute delays, I like the full service routes better.  MCI buses have always been a favorite of mine (second is Grumman, third is Flxible)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Just wondering how useful it would be if there was a Raritan Valley Line station in Weequahic Park (obviously with good connections to the actual neighborhood). You'd get to Newark Penn in 5-7 minutes, and have easy access to all of the western/southern suburbs.

There's definitely a lot of untapped potential when it comes to NJT commuter rail, but considering they can't even get around to things as basic as running the Boonton Line past MSU outside of rush hours, I wouldn't hold my breath.

20 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

There's definitely a lot of untapped potential when it comes to NJT commuter rail, but considering they can't even get around to things as basic as running the Boonton Line past MSU outside of rush hours, I wouldn't hold my breath.

After what they did with the Montclair - Boonton line, they will most likely never realize the true potential of their rail network.

Abandoning the eastern half of the Boonton Line was the biggest mistake they ever did. That area has gotten so much bigger with population and yet has no adequate bus or rail service.

And if I'm not mistaken, NJT sold the operating rights of a portion of the old line to CSX for a factory.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@46Dover what is with the brake on some of these NABI's? The brakes are horrible, you have to actually slam down on the pedal for it to notice...

Thr nabis you have to press 1/2 way down to activate the ZF Retarder, then fully press for the pads to grab the rotors, once you do that ease up, adjust accordingly. I’ve never had a problem braking the nabis. The Cummins mcis are same way with the c brake it’s pressure output, not single output like with Jake brake.  

10 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Thr nabis you have to press 1/2 way down to activate the ZF Retarder, then fully press for the pads to grab the rotors, once you do that ease up, adjust accordingly. I’ve never had a problem braking the nabis. The Cummins mcis are same way with the c brake it’s pressure output, not single output like with Jake brake.  

Guess I just have to learn how to use them. The buses I've driven before have retarder activate as soon as your foot leaves the accelerator.