New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Buses crashing from not maintaining control, not sizing up turns properly and not checking mirrors all comes down to lack of judgment… which is the operator’s fault.

FWIW, the tags on the MTA Prevosts don’t turn much (if at all) either. 

Clearly it’s an operators fault, you should know you need more stopping distance without the Retarder or Jake Brake/C Brake. 

In the end it cuts down training time, less time training the quicker they can get you out in the real world. 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:33 AM, 46Dover said:

Sorry for the long delay 😬, but NJT may be taking over the 119 (if it hasn’t been said yet)

Well the only Garage that could probably take it will be Greenville or maybe Ironbound...Me personally NJT should have been took over both the 10 and 99s which turn into the 119 back in 98 when S.Hudson/Drogin ceased operation....

Edited by biGC323232

13 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Well the only Garage that could probably take it will be Greenville or maybe Ironbound...Me personally NJT should have been took over both the 10 and 99s which turn into the 119 back in 98 when S.Hudson/Drogin ceased operation....

The 10 and 119 is supposed to go to Meadowlands. Greenville does not have the manpower for those to lines. However meadowlands would lose the 84 to coach. 

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

The 10 and 119 is supposed to go to Meadowlands. Greenville does not have the manpower for those to lines. However meadowlands would lose the 84 to coach. 

when is this suppose to happen? honestly i'd like to see the 10 at greenville imo but I don't think they also got enough buses for it. 119 makes sense out of Meadowlands tho

8 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I kidda figured Greenville couldn't handle it....10 and  119 To Meadowland aint a bad idea....You now gonna probably see Mcis on the 119 Route...But why not just leave the 10 with coach and meadowlands keep the 84

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I kidda figured Greenville couldn't handle it....10 and  119 To Meadowland aint a bad idea....You now gonna probably see Mcis on the 119 Route...But why not just leave the 10 with coach and meadowlands keep the 84

I'm pretty sure Coach is having issues with keeping up with the level of service (not enough operators) the 10 has. I would split the 10 with Greenville and Meadowlands, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Coach is struggling with the 119. A lot of buses never show. And it doesn’t help when the operators pay is terrible. Academy and Coach use the operators and pay them blood money then pocket the operating cost from NJT. 

10 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Coach is struggling with the 119. A lot of buses never show. And it doesn’t help when the operators pay is terrible. Academy and Coach use the operators and pay them blood money then pocket the operating cost from NJT. 

Well if they struggling with the 119....Would it be a good idea to send them the 84...I Dont think it would....What Meadowlands cant take the 10 and 119 plus keep the 84...

10 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Some people in the background thought that Academy didn't put up a big fight because they knew Coach USA didn't have the personnel and couldn't handle the work. They figured NJT would have to come back to them. That's not being disrespectful of Coach USA because almost no one has enough drivers right now. 

We raised our base pay to $25/hour last summer and it was still hard to hire people. I might have to go to $30/hour this summer, but I'll have to charge more money. It will become a war between lower cost operators that can't staff and higher cost operators that can. NJT is going to have to do the unthinkable and start making new friends. That may mean smaller bid packages or reaching out directly to certain carriers already with NJT equipment to help them.

4 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Some people in the background thought that Academy didn't put up a big fight because they knew Coach USA didn't have the personnel and couldn't handle the work. They figured NJT would have to come back to them. That's not being disrespectful of Coach USA because almost no one has enough drivers right now. 

We raised our base pay to $25/hour last summer and it was still hard to hire people. I might have to go to $30/hour this summer, but I'll have to charge more money. It will become a war between lower cost operators that can't staff and higher cost operators that can. NJT is going to have to do the unthinkable and start making new friends. That may mean smaller bid packages or reaching out directly to certain carriers already with NJT equipment to help them.

Either that or NJT will need to figure out how to handle this stuff in-house.

16 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Actually, NJT needs to rethink these contract terms. Any contract with more then 5 routes should be split and NJT needs to start letting small private carriers bid on these contracts as well other then these big private carriers.

Last week (12/29), I used the free round-trip ticket from New York to Cape May which I received as part of their holiday promotion on MyTix.

Overall, the buses were clean and on-time (the Atlantic City bus station is definitely not though - someone tried to sell me meth there during my short layover on the return trip). The 319 was busier than I expected and the quality of service is that of a standard intercity coach, with bathroom facilities and luggage storage underneath the vehicle.

The 552 (Atlantic City to Cape May) bus was significantly more interesting than the 319, not just in terms of scenery, but also because it felt like three separate routes which have little to no relationship. The northern half of the route, which is an express service from Atlantic City to Cape May Court House with one intermediate stop at a park-and-ride only accessible via car, carried air on both of my trips - there were only one or two other passengers on board on this leg (excluding myself) in either direction. The middle leg between Cape May Court House and Wildwood was the most intensely used in both directions, and was actually pretty full going northbound. Ridership between Wildwood and Cape May was roughly what I expected for a semi-rural route.

Edited by 67thAve

6 hours ago, 67thAve said:

Last week (12/29), I used the free round-trip ticket from New York to Cape May which I received as part of their holiday promotion on MyTix.

Overall, the buses were clean and on-time (the Atlantic City bus station is definitely not though - someone tried to sell me meth there during my short layover on the return trip). The 319 was busier than I expected and the quality of service is that of a standard intercity coach, with bathroom facilities and luggage storage underneath the vehicle.

The 552 (Atlantic City to Cape May) bus was significantly more interesting than the 319, not just in terms of scenery, but also because it felt like three separate routes which have little to no relationship. The northern half of the route, which is an express service from Atlantic City to Cape May Court House with one intermediate stop at a park-and-ride only accessible via car, carried air on both of my trips - there were only one or two other passengers on board on this leg (excluding myself) in either direction. The middle leg between Cape May Court House and Wildwood was the most intensely used in both directions, and was actually pretty full going northbound. Ridership between Wildwood and Cape May was roughly what I expected for a semi-rural route.

The 552 sees most of ridership between cape may court house and wildwood-rio grande. During the summer now is a different story, it’s really heavy out of Atlantic City with tourist. Transit is ok with taking a loss in the winter-spring months(Oct-may). 

45 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

The 552 sees most of ridership between cape may court house and wildwood-rio grande. During the summer now is a different story, it’s really heavy out of Atlantic City with tourist. Transit is ok with taking a loss in the winter-spring months(Oct-may). 

I'm not surprised by that - Wildwood seems to be relatively poor and dense, all of the county offices are in Cape May Court House, and Rio Grande is home to a large concentration of big box stores.