MTA BusTime Discussion

User

On the M15 Local, I notice that there is a big gap currently southbound of almost 3 miles...2 intervals' worth. Might that be the result of some buses (like 1300, 4705, and the other 1999 D60HFs at 126 Street) not being on the system yet? There is also a huge gap on the M42---is 0060 the bus in the gap?

I don't think so.  I noticed the same thing on several other lines that are notorious for bunching and large gaps in service. The M2, M5, M15 in particular are problematic as I ride these lines often.

The M2 is incredible... There's one bus by 8th street, then nothing all the way up to about 90th street.  That's a huge gap in service... 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the M15 Local, I notice that there is a big gap currently southbound of almost 3 miles...2 intervals' worth. Might that be the result of some buses (like 1300, 4705, and the other 1999 D60HFs at 126 Street) not being on the system yet? There is also a huge gap on the M42---is 0060 the bus in the gap?

Doubt it, traffic on 42nd Street is slammed almost both ways, Westbound has it worse from 3rd to 10th. 

I know, I tried it before.

It's funny because I nagged the Bus Time team for months to get the desktop version working properly so that I could use it fully on my Android, and now that I have it, I find myself using the mobile version more. For months, you couldn't see all of the stops listed on a route in the desktop version on your cell phone, but I nagged them about it and they finally fixed that.  Both the mobile and desktop versions have their advantages and disadvantages.  I hate having to refresh with the mobile version but I also hate it when buses are bunched and I can't zoom in on the one I'm trying to track on the desktop version.  The mobile version can be good if you're in a hurry and are just trying to see where your bus is.  The desktop version is good when you're already at the stop and you want to know exactly where your bus is rather then "1 Stop Away" if you keep getting that message for 5-10 minutes.  I love being able to zoom in and see that the bus is literally one or two blocks away.  It gives me a feeling of ease for some reason.

Its ok. I use it when I am in a hurry.

I wish they could use BusTime to display at the bus shelters, an app on Windows 8 platform, and maybe an estimate time to the destination.

I don't think it's necessary to be honest and if anything it just makes me cranky because if the estimated time of arrival is 4 minutes then it changes to 15 minutes, you can be sitting there waiting forever. I found this out the hard way when they were using the Clever device system originally on the M34.  I think it's too difficult to implement in Manhattan in particular, but perhaps it could be in place in the outer boroughs.

I know that where BusTime is enabled, the MTA collects their wait assessment and other data from it instead of dispatchers, making it a lot more accurate. I think supervision is using it to better manage the buses, but I don't know if they're making schedule changes based on it yet.

I know that where BusTime is enabled, the MTA collects their wait assessment and other data from it instead of dispatchers, making it a lot more accurate. I think supervision is using it to better manage the buses, but I don't know if they're making schedule changes based on it yet.

I haven't seen buses bunch any less.  The Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 still bunch like crazy so they don't seem to be doing much to address extreme bunching, which is mind boggling to me. If a guy is running so far behind, why have him do a run if he is going to just drive by passengers and not even stop?  It's more like some B/O's know that they're being tracked so they're more mindful of not running hot, which is something that they weren't doing before which also makes no sense.  Why didn't they think it was important to adhere to the schedules before Bus Time as opposed to now?  The answer is obvious of course.  Now there is no more his/her word against your word.  Now there is actual proof, which is almost impossible to dispute.

I noticed this over the weekend on a BxM2.  We sat a few stops for a few minutes coming and going because he was a few minutes early, but as far as buses being held because 3 or 4 are running in a pack together... Nope... I still see that far too often.  

Manhattan is going to show just how bad bus bunching is and why bus ridership has declined so much and more importantly what is the (MTA) going to do about it.  I can't believe the gaps that I'm seeing in service.  Extremely disturbing and frustrating as a passenger.

I don't think it's necessary to be honest and if anything it just makes me cranky because if the estimated time of arrival is 4 minutes then it changes to 15 minutes, you can be sitting there waiting forever. I found this out the hard way when they were using the Clever device system originally on the M34.  I think it's too difficult to implement in Manhattan in particular, but perhaps it could be in place in the outer boroughs.

They could use the Google Traffic technology data and calculate times.

Such a big gap on the M4 southbound, no bus from Columbia University to 72 street/ 5 Avenue

The M103 is worse, no northbound buses north of 46 street at the time.

Winner is the M15 SBS right now...

Hope nobody's going south:

ScreenShot2013-10-07at71828PM_zpsfea1044

One thing Bus Time does is that it lets everyone see how much of a problem bus bunching really is which I have been complaining about for 40 years.  The MTA always tried to minimize the problem claiming it only happens when there is traffic.  I decided to check the M15 today at 5:30 to see if SBS buses really bunched as much as some said it does. It was horrible.  There were three buses at South Ferry and  three at 125 Street.On Second Avenue there were 13 SBS buses (7 of them between 61 and 79 St), and no buses between 33 St  and Wall Street. On the northbound route, there were only 6 SBS buses.  The M15 local was also screwed up.  I am going to map both the SBS and local on a single map for that snapshot in time to see if both were delayed in the same places or if there was a choice between SBS and the local.  I am curious.

We'll see in time if bunching is reduced or not because of BusTime

One thing Bus Time does is that it lets everyone see how much of a problem bus bunching really is which I have been complaining about for 40 years.  The MTA always tried to minimize the problem claiming it only happens when there is traffic.  I decided to check the M15 today at 5:30 to see if SBS buses really bunched as much as some said it does. It was horrible.  There were three buses at South Ferry and  three at 125 Street.On Second Avenue there were 13 SBS buses (7 of them between 61 and 79 St), and no buses between 33 St  and Wall Street. On the northbound route, there were only 6 SBS buses.  The M15 local was also screwed up.  I am going to map both the SBS and local on a single map for that snapshot in time to see if both were delayed in the same places or if there was a choice between SBS and the local.  I am curious.

We'll see in time if bunching is reduced or not because of BusTime

Yes, I was amazed as well... There were several bus lines that were a total mess: M2, M5, M31, M57, M15, M101 all come to miind... Very scary.  I actually wrote to the (MTA) about the M5 earlier sent a screen shot of the huge gap in service and posed the question as to how they are going to deal with the bunching problem on the M5.  I expect a canned answer but we'll see what they say.

.....The MTA always tried to minimize the problem claiming it only happens when there is traffic.

Well that's a new one (to me)....

Bunching only during traffic? That's a nice manufactured lie if I ever read one... (Not from you, from them)

Yes, BusTime has definitely exploited the bunching that goes on in this city... Too bad BusTime doesn't come equipped with a heatmap (which would only be accessible upon zooming in on either of the last 2 zoom (in) levels) - to illustrate how many vehicles (powered on/in motion) are around each of these buses as they're moving up/down their routes.....

I have most definitely seen some routes (off peak expresses & locals, regardless of time of day) that have no business running in 2's, or even 3's......

Archived