B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies everybody.  So now I can only hope they don't hold up my application because of the diploma.  Who has that!? On 1 weeks notice!?  I ordered it but like I said, it takes 4-6 weeks.

I have another question.  Once I go in on Friday to do paperwork/drugtest, how long is it usually until they call you in for medical, and then when the medical is done, how long is it usually until you start training?  And my understanding is the 1st day training is at Zerega, but the rest of it is assigned to a random depot in any of the boroughs.  Is that correct?

if you read the noe letter it say that no education is required

Bus Operator

Notice of Examination Exam # 4600

When to Apply: From August 7, 2013 to August 27, 2013 Application Fee: $61.00 (This fee is non-refundable)

Type of Test: Multiple-Choice

Test Date: Scheduled for December 14, 2013 (subject to change)

JOB DESCRIPTION

Bus Operators, under general supervision, safely and efficiently operate an MTA New York City Transit bus transporting passengers along an assigned route while adhering to a schedule, New York City traffic regulations, New York State laws, and New York City Transit rules and regulations. They ensure the proper payment of fares; issue and collect transfers; ensure the safety of passengers; ensure the safety and security of the assigned bus; perform pre- and post-trip inspections; complete various reports; and perform related work.

Some of the physical activities performed by Bus Operators and environmental conditions they experience are: working outdoors in all weather conditions; communicating with customers; walking up and down stairways and ramps, and avoiding hazards in depots; hearing horns, buzzers, and verbal warnings; distinguishing colored lights; seeing and anticipating traffic hazards at a distance and in all directions; making visual inspections of buses; sitting for long periods of time; operating a wheelchair lift; and climbing into and out of an Operator’s seat.

Special Working Conditions: Bus Operators may be required to work various shifts, including nights, Saturday, Sundays, and holidays.

(This is a brief description of what you might do in this position and does not include all the duties of this position.)

SALARY AND BENEFITS

HOW TO QUALIFY

The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $20.9675 per hour for a 40-hour week, with an increase to $29.9550 in the fourth year of service. These rates are subject to change. The benefits of this position include, but are not limited to, night and weekend salary differentials, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, a comprehensive medical plan, and a pension plan.

Education and Experience Requirements: There are no formal education or experience requirements for this exam. 

Once you go in for the initial paperwork/drug test, it takes them 3 to 90 days to call you back. (Keep in mind that drug tests are valid for 30 days only). Once medical is done, and there are no problems with final processing, then it is about 2 to 4 weeks until you start training, it just depends on how the dates work out. And yes, the first day of training is at Zerega, the other days it is assigned to any NYC Transit depot within the four boroughs (excluding Staten Island, if I recall correctly).

5+ yrs

The list is only good for 4 years so it can not b 5+ years .. I would say maybe by the third year they should be around those numbers if not before bc i was told alot of driver are retiryin so the lists are movin fast.. Edited by bonilla1987

FHdriver my bad on the diploma info, I been applying to so many positions that require it just felt natural that it did. hope all went well at your appointment.

No problem man!  It wouldn't have made a difference bc I couldn't get it in time.  I just wanted to know if it was gonna be a problem.

Now I just gotta wait 3-90 for the medical so I'm gonna be constantly anxious for the next 3 months lol.  Feels like it's moving so fast now.

I live in Queens and I'm pretty sure my commute is gonna suck pretty bad, right?  TA only does Bronx, Manhattan, and Brooklyn from what I understand.  If I wanted a closer depot I would need to look at MTA Bus.  Any opinions on which borough is good to start out in?

The list is only good for 4 years so it can not b 5+ years .. I would say maybe by the third year they should be around those numbers if not before bc i was told alot of driver are retiryin so the lists are movin fast..

Before you go any further, a lot of times, depending on the situation, they may extend a certain list for two more years, in which the list will be active for a total of six [6] years. 

hello anyone know if you are allowed any accidents on your driving record or will you be disqualified if you have any accidents?

do you guys know if we are allowed any accidents or will that disqualify someone?

Long story short, your driving record has to be fairly clean for the previous three [3] years. By this, I mean:

-maximum of 2 accidents (whether at fault or not)

-no outstanding tickets (everything has to be paid)

-maximum 4 points

-NO DUI/DWI(s)

Just one note with the points: The TA does not consider defensive driving classes to take away points. Say for example, you have a total of six points on your license today (3/19/16), and you take a defensive driving class on April 19th. You have to wait 18 months for some of those points to disappear by themselves, depending on the situation. The DDC class will not help in this case. More information about points can be found here.

Edited by +Young+
Corrected information...