Pair of kittens shut down subway service for nearly two hours

Harry

post-5097-0-23980800-1377829632_thumb.jpg
Two tiny kittens who narrowly survived an extended stint on the subway tracks had a big impact on Thursday's commute - shutting down subway service for more than two hours before two quick-footed cops finally scooped them up. Transit workers spotted the furry duo along an open-air stretch of the (B) and (Q) line near Church Avenue in Brooklyn at about 11 a.m., prompting officials to cut the power and suspend service for about two hours. A transit supervisor "tried to corral them" but was eluded, said a Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokeswoman. Sandra Polel, 52, was heading home when her train suddenly screeched to a halt.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-23980800-1377829632_thumb.jpg

I wonder if this sort of thing has happened in any of our subway tunnels.

This mess was horrible during my commute.  Station booth didn't say anything for at least 45 minutes before telling everyone to get a voucher and go to other stations.

Was at least an hour late to my class this afternoon.

I am very sorry this happened to you.

I wonder if this sort of thing has happened in any of our subway tunnels.

I am very sorry this happened to you.

There was an occasion about a year ago where a hawk was chasing a rabbit on the Sea Beach line (I believe it was).

If this was a rat rather than cute kittens, would they have stopped service? I find kittens adorable, but I draw the line at service disruptions. I'm not saying full speed ahead, but 'serves' them right for running on the tracks. No commute should be disrupted for that long over that.

^This. While I don't agree on the serves them right part as they don't know any better, I'd be hella pissed off to know my commute was delayed because of a pair of damn kittens... Just keep the trains moving... 

533ba.jpg

If this was a rat rather than cute kittens, would they have stopped service? I find kittens adorable, but I draw the line at service disruptions. I'm not saying full speed ahead, but 'serves' them right for running on the tracks. No commute should be disrupted for that long over that.

The PETA in me is sobbing at this lol... Me personally I wouldn't mind but two hours is ridiculous.

In other news euthanization continues as usual.

All jokes aside, I'm sure what the deal was is that this was done this as a publicity act in lieu with the trend for firefighters to rescue kittens. But they were doing it wrong!!! 2 hours is kind of absurb for two little kittens. Trying to be hero resulting in major fail basically speaking.

This is the MTA, they have to find a method of saving money in operating in anyway that's possible.....

This mess was horrible during my commute.  Station booth didn't say anything for at least 45 minutes before telling everyone to get a voucher and go to other stations.

Was at least an hour late to my class this afternoon.

I'd be more curious in knowing why it took at least 45 minute for them to say something? I mean it wasn't like it was a terrorist attack.  I was kittens and if they wanted to rescue them well then let people know what's going on so that they can make arrangements to take alternate routes.  I heard on the news that it took then a good 7 hours to finally get the cats and take them away.  

This is the MTA, they have to find a method of saving money in operating in anyway that's possible.....

Plus, I bet those two kittens did not pay their $2.50 fare, and the MTA will go to great lengths to capture and prosocute fare evaders.

I hope theese kittens are charged to the fullest extent of the law.

Plus, I bet those two kittens did not pay their $2.50 fare, and the MTA will go to great lengths to capture and prosocute fare evaders.

I hope theese kittens are charged to the fullest extent of the law.

$1 says the judge throws out the case on the grounds of cuteness, and proceeds to adopt them both.

I would have been pissed, the least they could do is let people know ASAP so they can decide to take a detour. If I was headed to work and there was a problem with the QB line and I'm about the go in at 179th street  I'd like to know ASAP so that I could make my way to Jamaica Center and take the (J) instead. Waiting around 45 mins is unacceptable, but I suppose they want to limit when vouchers are given out.. Many riders commuting have unlimited cards anyway so they wouldn't need a voucher to get to another station.  For those already in fare control, Agents could use their card readers to verify who has PPR rides and who has recently entered the station give out vouchers accordingly.

Actually, it would be great if buses that connect to subway lines warned bus passengers of delays in train service (at least, bus to bus delay information would be great as well).

For example, in this situation announcements on the B35 could've warned passengers that there were delays on the (B) and (Q) lines and to take the (F) or (2) instead, etc

Of course they are...

On the one hand, this is a very cute story about a kitten rescue. On the other however, I like a lot of other people would've been extremely pissed off if I found out that service was halted to play a game of Where's Waldo with a couple of cats. I get why they shut down service. Everyone involved would've been vilified if something was to happen to the adorable kittens, but the whole thing reeks of ridiculousness.

And on top of that, to keep riders out of the loop again.... This is 2013 folks. Communication is key concerning any delays or disruptions of service. People should know what's going on and how to get around it. It wasn't some kind of criminal act that shouldn't be disclosed.

One time I went on a date with some chick that I was really into, until I found out that she was a Hippie™. After that discovery, the entire evening was ruined. And of course, we had the same stop to take us home, at Botanical Gardens (S). While standing on the platform, she saw a stray cat on the tracks and weeped like there was no tomorrow. At this point, I'm not even trying to talk to this girl, but the thought still struck me that it wasn't the first time that I saw a cat on the tracks at that station. Now I know for sure: cats are just naturally attracted to the Brighton Line and any lines adjacent to it...

Archived