The Sea Beach Line is getting an upgrade.

MTA Bus

Here's the link to the general capital program dashboard on mta.info: http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/10_14/CapitalDashBoard7.html

The list below are links which redirects to the individual station rehabilitation project description statements on mta.info for all stations on target by the Capital Construction Committee for the entirety of the BMT Sea Beach line. It has been updated. It should be updated even further on mta.info in to reflect the announcements as far as the new completion dates so that we can all keep track of everything for our knowledge in real time sort of speak from the official source.

I proofread all the descriptions, but feel free to correct any typos as necessary.

1) Rehabilitation of 20 Avenue Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include the rehabilitation of the street level control houses, tunnel structures supporting the control houses, passageway enclosures between platform stairs, concrete platform stairs and concrete enclosures, and platforms including canopy structure. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be install ed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

2) Rehabilitation of 8 Avenue Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include rehabilitation of the street-level control house and support structure, replacement of the concrete and metal canopy passageway enclosure between platform stairs, replacement of the mezzanine to platform stairs and canopies, and rehabilitation of platforms including canopy structure. In addition, station aesthetics w ill be remedied and artwork will be installed.

3) Rehabilitation of Fort Hamilton Parkway Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include rehabilitation of the street-level control houses and support structure, replacement of the concrete passageway enclosure between platform stairs, replacement of the platform stairs and canopies, and rehabilitation of platforms including canopy structure. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

4) Rehabilitation of 18th Avenue Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include rehabilitation of the street-level control houses, rehabilitation of tunnel structures supporting the contr ol houses, replacement of one passageway enclosure and relocation of the other, relocation of one stair, replacement of platform metal stairs and canopy, and rehabilitation of platforms. In addition, station ae sthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

5) Rehabilitation of Kings Highway Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include rehabilitation of the street-level control houses plus the rehabilitation of the tunnel structure suppo rting the two control houses, the concrete platform stairs and concrete enclosures, and platforms. The station will also be rehabilitated per requirements listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

6) Rehabilitation of New Utrecht Avenue Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include rehabilitation of the street-level control houses plus the rehabilitation of the tunnel structure supporting the two control houses, the concrete platform stairs and concrete enclosures, and platforms. The station will also be rehabilitated per requirements listed on the National Register of Historic Places . In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

7) Rehabilitation of Bay Parkway Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include the rehabilitation of the street level control houses, tunnel structures supporting the control houses, passageway enclosures between platform stairs, concrete platform stairs and concrete enclosures, and platforms including canopy structure. The station will also be rehabilitated per requirements listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

8) Rehabilitation of Avenue U Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include the rehabilitation of the street level control houses and tunnel structures supporting the control houses, repla cement of one passageway enclosure and relocation of the other passageway including structure, replacement of platform stairs and canopy, relocation of one stair, and rehabilitation of platforms including canop y structure. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

9) Rehabilitation of 86 St Station on the Sea Beach Line

Work will include the rehabilitation of the street level control houses, tunnel structures supporting the control houses, passageway enclosures between platform stairs, concrete platform stairs and concrete enclosures, and platforms including canopy structure. In addition, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Some or all of the design for this project was funded in prior capital program.

An interesting note: When I took the N along the sea beach, I noticed that the Kings Highway station on the FIND already had a little wheelchair symbol. Looks like this renovation of the Sea Beach isn't going to make that true.

I'm reading now that the CCC has plans to begin renovation of the open cut ROW's retaining walls itself, 6.5 miles of it total, along with the continuation of track replacement and of course the station rehabilitation. It's going to begin simultaneously as the MTA also officially begins the IND Queens Blvd Line CBTC project, Phase 1, in Oct-Nov 2014. 

So this is not just all the station rehabilitations, this is going to become an all out massive overhaul of the physical infrastructure of the BMT line itself, similar in scope to the Culver Viaduct project, but in this case turning a BMT South Division open cut line into an engineering masterpiece. That's what's happening here, the MTA has a major mission goal here and they are serious about it.

An interesting note: When I took the N along the sea beach, I noticed that the Kings Highway station on the FIND already had a little wheelchair symbol. Looks like this renovation of the Sea Beach isn't going to make that true.

@P3F: I'm pretty sure they have to include accessibility features at Kings Highway station because of ADA.

Uh, no. The R160 FIND sign has an error. No wheelchair accessible at Kings Highway.

@P3F: I'm pretty sure they have to include accessibility features at Kings Highway station because of ADA.

Smith-9th Sts was renovated but did not include an elevator, as have many other renovations across the city.

The MTA does not go out of its way to comply with ADA very much. In contrast, London is doing all that it can to make stations wheelchair accessible (within reason - certain stations support entire building complexes, so fitting in an elevator would be difficult. It marks a general city-wide trend; for instance, the only approved new Taxi of Tomorrow for the taxi fleet is not wheelchair accessible at all.

8 Av and New Utrect/62nd will get elevators and ramps.

Once this is done, besides Chambers and Bowery (J), what other stations are in dire need of rehab?

The entire Culver Line stations on the F will also get the rehab as well, next 5 years it will be busy.

@w8hou: I thought we were talking about the upgrade? Or at least I was. Error or not on the FIND display, I meant that I thought that ADA would force 'em to include accessibility features at Kings Highway during the REHABILITATION.

@w8hou: I thought we were talking about the upgrade? Or at least I was. Error or not on the FIND display, I meant that I thought that ADA would force 'em to include accessibility features at Kings Highway during the REHABILITATION.

You confusing yourself. No wheelchair accessible at Kings Highway. The entire line will receive ADA features: yellow tactile warning strips, new rubber boards at the edge of the platform. Thats all. A Full ADA will have wheelchair accessible. Olny two stations, Kings Highway is not one of them.

I didn't know that the New York subway had rundown stations, but again I did see some old and rundown looking stations in Manhattan when I came. Hope all goes well in this project.

Coming from Chicago, the first line I rode was the N down Sea Beach, and I was a bit shocked (because a few stations here were just as bad if not worse than the entire Sea Beach). 

Proud and hopeful for you guys.

I'm reading now that the CCC has plans to begin renovation of the open cut ROW's retaining walls itself, 6.5 miles of it total, along with the continuation of track replacement and of course the station rehabilitation. It's going to begin simultaneously as the MTA also officially begins the IND Queens Blvd Line CBTC project, Phase 1, in Oct-Nov 2014. 

So this is not just all the station rehabilitations, this is going to become an all out massive overhaul of the physical infrastructure of the BMT line itself, similar in scope to the Culver Viaduct project, but in this case turning a BMT South Division open cut line into an engineering masterpiece. That's what's happening here, the MTA has a major mission goal here and they are serious about it.

So it won't be open-cut anymore? I love open cut stations.

So it won't be open-cut anymore? I love open cut stations.

They are renovating the retaining walls, that continuously surrounds the open cut ROW, not demolishing them or in any way drastically changing the layout of the walls. Rather they are restoring it to like-new condition with modern concrete repair techniques. So what you will see say in 2018 when completed, on your ride on the (N) to Coney Island, are continuous miles of restored, and repaired retaining walls, all cleaned up, surrounding and guarding the miles of concrete ties and rails from 59th Street onward to the last stop as it always did since the Dual Contract engineers built the line. The open cut layout will be retained and actually, enhanced.

Even the bench walls inside the underground tunnel spurs leading to the open cut leading from the 4th Ave Line will be repaired and restorated to top notch condition. Not the mention the renovating of the stations itself to it's original condition with modernized additions.

They are renovating the retaining walls, that continuously surrounds the open cut ROW, not demolishing them or in any way drastically changing the layout of the walls. Rather they are restoring it to like-new condition with modern concrete repair techniques. So what you will see say in 2018 when completed, on your ride on the (N) to Coney Island, are continuous miles of restored, and repaired retaining walls, all cleaned up, surrounding and guarding the miles of concrete ties and rails from 59th Street onward to the last stop as it always did since the Dual Contract engineers built the line. The open cut layout will be retained and actually, enhanced.

Even the bench walls inside the underground tunnel spurs leading to the open cut leading from the 4th Ave Line will be repaired and restorated to top notch condition. Not the mention the renovating of the stations itself to it's original condition with modernized additions.

I hope they'll put covers on the third rails in that section when they do the work...

I'm wondering if they could build a road over it (for cars only)? Or maybe some park/walkway. Not that I think they need to cover up the line, but on the same side of the coin, it's not like it's doing much other than to prevent the heat being trapped in from the trains.

Build a greenway with ventilation openings every x meters. Greenway will be for pedestrians only.

Archived