Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

It's cheaper if you need to transfer to another bus/subway in Manhattan and you're not using it often enough to justify getting a monthly pass.

Those buses are going back up to the depot anyway. The worst that could happen is they get no riders in Yonkers, which would be the same thing as if they were deadheading anyway.

I sometimes surf this site in school, and there's always the one person who feels the need to stare into the screen as I'm typing, and say a stupid comment like "Oh, you like buses". Like seriously, STFU and look at your own computer.

Your joking right the 4C is NEVER CHEAPER. Cause its schedule is unsuitable for casual riders. MNRR is $278 WITH UNLIMITED METROCARD!!!!!! From crestwood southward so you do get that subway connection so Fail you didn't do your math or reasearch no matter how you look at it you have to be a FOOL to even consider 4C a viable travel option. Since when is sitting in 5 MPH traffic for a bloddy hour considered comfortable??

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your joking right the 4C is NEVER CHEAPER. Cause its schedule is unsuitable for casual riders. MNRR is $278 WITH UNLIMITED METROCARD!!!!!! From crestwood southward so you do get that subway connection so Fail you didn't do your math or reasearch no matter how you look at it you have to be a FOOL to even consider 4C a viable travel option. Since when is sitting in 5 MPH traffic for a bloddy hour considered comfortable??

The BxM4C has more ridership than (2011 annual ridership)......

BxM4C 163,997

BM5 156,293

QM1 150,290

X68 149,323

QM8 143,763

QM12 126,839

BxM4 118,101

QM11 109,536

QM17 102,015

X64 100,507

QM16 97,119

QM21 95,836

QM10 90,301

QM25 78,420

BxM18 76,900

QM18 59,800

QM3 32,798

4C is doing better than expected and hanging on.

Edited by GreatOne2k

If you have a once-in-a-while doctor's appointment or something, you just try to schedule it at a time that works around the BxM4C schedule.

And sitting there for an hour or hour and a half or however long it takes is comfortable because you can just sit back and relax or whatever.

Look, don't try to convince me, because I'd just take the BL-20/21 to the subway and save the money, but people have their reasons for taking it. Maybe it's because parking is short and it's easier to just walk up to the bus than it is to make your way to the station.

**List of routes with ridership lower than the BxM4C**

Well, you can't go by ridership alone because the BxM4C is a pretty long route. But Amtrak posted a link that showed the farebox recovery ratio, and it was actually making money.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

If you have a once-in-a-while doctor's appointment or something, you just try to schedule it at a time that works around the BxM4C schedule.

And sitting there for an hour or hour and a half or however long it takes is comfortable because you can just sit back and relax or whatever.

Look, don't try to convince me, because I'd just take the BL-20/21 to the subway and save the money, but people have their reasons for taking it. Maybe it's because parking is short and it's easier to just walk up to the bus than it is to make your way to the station.

Well, you can't go by ridership alone because the BxM4C is a pretty long route. But Amtrak posted a link that showed the farebox recovery ratio, and it was actually making money.

The 4C was profitable for about 3 months in 2011 (around the summer)

Edited by GreatOne2k

My Bx4MC Proposal

Departs White Plains

BxM4C to Manhattan

5:00

5:30

6:00

6:30

7:00

7:30

8:30

9:30

10:30

11:30

12:30

1:30

3:00

4:00

To White Plains

8:00

9:00

11:30

1:00

2:30

3:30

4:30

5:30

Saturdays to Manhattan

10:00

12:00

2:00

Saturdays to White Plains

10:00

12:00

2:00

Sundays to Manhattan

9:00

11:00

Sundays To White Plains

11:00

Since the BxM4C is currently making money even with the high fares I'd run service a bit later and more frequently than that. On weekdays inbound buses would run every 20 minutes between 5 and 9 AM, every hour from 9 AM to 3 PM, and every 30 minutes from 3 to 8PM with a cleanup trip departing at 9PM, while outbound buses would run every 30 minutes from 6 to 9AM, every hour from 9AM to 3PM, and every 20 minutes from 3PM to 8PM with last trips departing at 8:40, 9:20, and 10:00PM. Saturday service would run every hour from 7AM to 8PM inbound and from 9AM to 10PM outbound, and Sunday service would run every two hours from 9AM to 7PM inbound and from 10AM to 8PM outbound.

Since the BxM4C is currently making money even with the high fares I'd run service a bit later and more frequently than that. On weekdays inbound buses would run every 20 minutes between 5 and 9 AM, every hour from 9 AM to 3 PM, and every 30 minutes from 3 to 8PM with a cleanup trip departing at 9PM, while outbound buses would run every 30 minutes from 6 to 9AM, every hour from 9AM to 3PM, and every 20 minutes from 3PM to 8PM with last trips departing at 8:40, 9:20, and 10:00PM. Saturday service would run every hour from 7AM to 8PM inbound and from 9AM to 10PM outbound, and Sunday service would run every two hours from 9AM to 7PM inbound and from 10AM to 8PM outbound.

As much as I hate 4C you can't cut a route that is profitable no matter how redundant it is

He's suggesting to add service, not cut it.

I know that but if you add service then you won't get many off peak riders if any willing to pay $7.50 considering MNRR is only $0.25 more expensive. I used it before it got reduced the buses on sundays and saturdays carried very few ppl. This high fare means off peak usage will be dismal at best you would only run empty buses and offset it's profits. If you want to add off peak service cut the fare to $2.25 OFF PEAK ONLY then let it become open-door LTD stop along central park ave so ppl on central park ave can get a faster ride in the form of 4C basically an off-peak branch of 21. New combined schedule with 20/21/4C(28). Eliminate several 21 short turns that leave 3 mins of 20 OR reuse them for something else. Peak fare is $7.50. You would have to transfer to the W4 for the bronx. Let off-peak trips stop near GWB via I-87 then via inwood for (A)(1) and marble hill then via harlem river DR which is way faster than I-87 parking lot. however it does this optional via passenger request on southbound otherwise skips. This will NOT stop at GWB terminal due to highway road layout

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea

Bx18: Extended to Hoe Avenue and wherever the Bx11 terminates on the Bronx Side via Bx11 routing

Purpose: The Bx18 is reliable, but doesn't get much ridership. The Bx11 however comes SRO from Manhattan and there are standees on most if not all the Bx11. And not 1-3. Standees, but more like 15 standees at its peak point. So why not extend the Bx18 along the Bx11 routing east of Morris Heights to West Farms and terminate the Bx18 there, as it will shift the ridership from the Bx11 to the Bx18. That will be 20-40 people off the Bx11 every hour. This will make the Bx18 more useful and have a lower cost per rider

BxM4C 163,997

BM5 156,293

QM1 150,290

X68 149,323

QM8 143,763

QM12 126,839

BxM4 118,101

QM11 109,536

QM17 102,015

X64 100,507

QM16 97,119

QM21 95,836

QM10 90,301

QM25 78,420

BxM18 76,900

QM18 59,800

QM3 32,798

I like how the BxM18 is in here... It's actually increasing in terms of ridership and it's our baby out of our three express bus routes. I catch the last BxM18 sometimes in the mornings and I've noticed that it is almost completely full now, where as before you'd have a few empty seats. Going home it is also growing a bit. I expect to see that improve as the economy improves.

I have an idea

Bx18: Extended to Hoe Avenue and wherever the Bx11 terminates on the Bronx Side via Bx11 routing

Purpose: The Bx18 is reliable, but doesn't get much ridership. The Bx11 however comes SRO from Manhattan and there are standees on most if not all the Bx11. And not 1-3. Standees, but more like 15 standees at its peak point. So why not extend the Bx18 along the Bx11 routing east of Morris Heights to West Farms and terminate the Bx18 there, as it will shift the ridership from the Bx11 to the Bx18. That will be 20-40 people off the Bx11 every hour. This will make the Bx18 more useful and have a lower cost per rider

Bx11 doesn't come SRO from manhattan all that often to warrant extending 18's eastward; people aren't having near as much trouble boarding 11's in the bronx..... Saying this another way, the Bx11 doesn't need a supplement between the (D) & westchester av.....

• 1 month later...

Like I said Inwood residents have choices and the BxM1 could simply use the Major Deegan instead of meandering about to get to the Harlem River Drive....

Wow. Hindsight is 20/20. I just realized he was trying to switch the topic so he wouldn't have to talk about the BxM11.

In any case, I was thinking of a couple of ways to restructure the routes in the NE Bronx.

* There is a huge gap between Bronxwood Avenue & Eastchester Road. Would it be feasable for the Bx8 to be moved over to to Laconia Avenue (at least between Pelham Parkway & Gun Hill Road)?

* Since there are more connections available at 233rd Street, I think the Bx8 should be extended up Bronxwood Avenue to 233rd Street, rather than ending at 225th Street.

* I think 222nd Street could use a bus route, since it's a pretty long distance between Gun Hill Road & 233rd Street. I think it could run from the hospital by Bronx Blvd & 233rd Street to Bay Plaza. It would take 233rd Street to White Plains Road, then take 222nd Street to the NE Thruway, and then take Bartow Avenue to Bay Plaza. Going back, it would do the same thing, except it would take Ely Avenue instead of Edson Avenue.

The thing that sucks is that there's no entrance to the (5) by 222nd Street, so to provide the connection, it would have to go up Boston Road and down Baychester Avenue. Going back, it would have to make a detour and do the same thing.

Either that, or maybe the BL-52 could be extended via Boston Road, Baychester Avenue, Givan Avenue, & 222nd Street down to the 219th Street station on the (2).

And on a side note, do Edenwald residents mostly use the Bx31 to reach the subway, or do they make their way down to the (5) at Baychester Avenue?

I guess while I'm talking about Baychester Avenue, is there demand a route that runs the full length of that street? (Say, from 241st Street to Bay Plaza) Because that would allow the Nereid Avenue branch could continue up to Mount Vernon East on the MNRR, and the 233rd Street branch would be the only one serving Dyre Avenue (Of course, getting a little extra service compared to what it would if both branches served Dyre Avenue). With the Baychester Avenue branch connecting that part of Wakefield to the (5), there wouldn't be a need for the other Bx16 branch to cover it.

My original plan for Baychester Avenue actually involved sending the Bx31 along Schieffelin Avenue to Baychester Avenue, and then ending it at 241st Street, but I think a seperate route would be better, as it would connect to the (5).

Also, I came across a thread about the #78 (this one), and was wondering if the riders who use the BL-8 to the Bx7 to reach the (1) train (rather than taking a bus along Broadway) mostly use Unlimited MetroCards or PPR MetroCards. Because if they're willing to pay an extra fare to take the second bus, maybe they'd be willing to take the BxM18 if it were extended to Getty Square, since it would only be $1 more. Of course, if they're using unlimiteds, then this doesn't apply.

Oh, and just to clarify, when I said the Bx8 would go to 233rd Street, it would still connect to WPR. It would just take 233rd Street to reach it instead of 226th Street.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I won't quote both posts for spacing purposes, so I'll do it like this:

- Extending 52's to WPR wouldn't be profitable for beeline, even if there's a current gap in service along 222nd; may as well leave bee-line out of any plans regarding 222nd st......

- fam, bronxwood on the Bx8 is basically dead; lot of walking from blocks east of WPR, towards WPR....

furthermore, that east-west gap you're referencing exists because the co-op city side of baychester av is blocked off by the highway.....

- Regarding Dyre av service vs WPR service from Edenwald patrons - I can tell you right now that there is heavy usage between 233rd st (2) & the Edenwald houses; most the ppl. you see waiting for the SB Bx31 @ WPR are going to those projects..... there's virtually no one that walks back towards the baychester (5) station...

- There is no demand for a route from/within co-op to the baychester (5) station [large in part b/c they already have the 28/38 to gun hill (5)]..... In the NE Bronx, I do know there is demand for a route shooting across 233rd b/w Dyre av subway & WPR though.....

- I agree with you that there should be something directly serving MNRR Mt. Vernon East from Wakefield (the neighborhood) - there's demand for that also.... the 42 comes close, but it doesn't directly serve the RR station; always thought it should loop back to serve it.....

- don't know what type of MC's ppl. coming off the BL-8 xferring to the Bx7 for the (1) are using....

(some coincidence though.... I took the full Bx10 & xfer'd to the BL-8 yesterday [someone on the bus that boarded @ 231st did look like VG8, but that guy was a midget... lol])

- I get what you were tryna say w/ the Bx8, and it's not the first time I heard/read such a suggestion.... Cotb16 IINM had an old idea that involved the Bx8 shooting across 233rd running up to Woodlawn.... Personally, I think any northward Bx8 extension is all for naught.... Although circuitous, knowing what I know about commuting habits up there, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might be beneficial for the Bx8 in that part of the Bronx - is the route turning off bronxwood at gun hill rd, then along gun hill to WPR, up WPR to 222nd, to go on to end somewhere in the vicinity of the Edenwald projects....

(for further commentary about this, refer to point #2)

Edited by B35 via Church

- I agree with you that there should be something directly serving MNRR Mt. Vernon East from Wakefield (the neighborhood) - there's demand for that also.... the 42 comes close, but it doesn't directly serve the RR station; always thought it should loop back to serve it.....

The only Bus route that will connect with Mount Vernon East RR (By like 2 blocks) is the 40/41LTD/43X, but these don't run down to the Bronx as much as the 42. Mainly Rush hour, with one or two w40 buses outside the rush.

TBH, im not bothered much grabbing the 42 at 241 or walking to Mt Vernon E. RR (Yes I've done it lots of times). But for other folks, the other option is just sitting on the 42 to New Rochelle Transportation Center and connect with train service, or just walk a few blocks. Never hurts. If the Bx41 was still running to Wakefield, they could of still had a one seat ride to Fordham Plaza for MNCR service. Which is why I think the Bx41 should get restored to 241. Lot more usage it had.

- don't know what type of MC's ppl. coming off the BL-8 xferring to the Bx7 for the (1) are using....

(some coincidence though.... I took the full Bx10 & xfer'd to the BL-8 yesterday [someone on the bus that boarded @ 231st did look like VG8, but that guy was a midget... lol])

If there is some usage between the Bx7/the w8/(1), I think it would be nice to extend the w8 to at least to IRT 231st Street. Have it go down Kingsbridge Ave, East on 230th, up on Broadway and turn on 231st and begin. Follow the Bx7. Maybe hourly service?

Or your suggestion on extending an Express bus route on Riverdale Ave in Yonkers. BxM1, BxM2, BxM18, one of those routes can continue and end at Getty Square. Especially with NIS buses heading to/from the depot... Tho not sure if the Riverdalers / Spuyteners would favor having an extension of its routes to pickup those in Riverdale Ave in Yonkers. (Even tho they can still use the w8 to connect with an Exp).

The only Bus route that will connect with Mount Vernon East RR (By like 2 blocks) is the 40/41LTD/43X, but these don't run down to the Bronx as much as the 42. Mainly Rush hour, with one or two w40 buses outside the rush.

TBH, im not bothered much grabbing the 42 at 241 or walking to Mt Vernon E. RR (Yes I've done it lots of times). But for other folks, the other option is just sitting on the 42 to New Rochelle Transportation Center and connect with train service, or just walk a few blocks. Never hurts. If the Bx41 was still running to Wakefield, they could of still had a one seat ride to Fordham Plaza for MNCR service. Which is why I think the Bx41 should get restored to 241. Lot more usage it had.

I agree with reverting the Bx41 also..... Checkmate, though, is tryna find a way to service 222nd st; to fill that east-west gap....

I actually think if the 42 directly served MNRR Mt Vernon east, you'd significantly affect the amount of Bronxites taking 55's to dyre av from that MNRR station.... for the most part, the only bronxites that would really use the 55 are co-op city folks (since other bronxites could/would hop on the 42 for subway service along WPR, as opposed to the dyre av line)...... and of course, coming from cross county heading towards the bronx, they already bombard 25's & 26's (hell, I took the 25 yesterday - ughk @ how packed that thing gets @ getty sq. itself & x-county mall).... going back towards yonkers from WPR is no picnic either - when I got off the 25 today, there were easily about 50-60 ppl. waiting for the bus...

As for the 40/41, I was gonna mention that, but since it only serves the (2) during rush hours, I didn't bother......

If there is some usage between the Bx7/the w8/(1), I think it would be nice to extend the w8 to at least to IRT 231st Street. Have it go down Kingsbridge Ave, East on 230th, up on Broadway and turn on 231st and begin. Follow the Bx7. Maybe hourly service?

Or your suggestion on extending an Express bus route on Riverdale Ave in Yonkers. BxM1, BxM2, BxM18, one of those routes can continue and end at Getty Square. Especially with NIS buses heading to/from the depot... Tho not sure if the Riverdalers / Spuyteners would favor having an extension of its routes to pickup those in Riverdale Ave in Yonkers. (Even tho they can still use the w8 to connect with an Exp).

I forgot who's idea that was, but it wasn't mine (about extending the Bxm1 or 2 to getty sq, since it already ends at county line)....

Anyway, I also thought about a 8 extension to 231st (1).... Hell, it could even lessen the notorious crowding @ 242nd st (1) for the bee line buses that stop there.... In other words, instead of taking the (1) to 242nd for bus service to downtown yonkers/getty sq area, some of the riders could disembark @ 231st for an extended 8 to the same area (downtown yonkers/getty sq.)..... While I think it makes sense & would be profitable, I don't see bee line or riverdalians really going for it.....

Edited by B35 via Church

@B35.... lol.... Interesting.... Usually I get the you're mixed or you're Hispanic, but never the you look like someone.... In any event, my location these days is all over the place, but I have never been on a local bus in the Bronx...

-----

@Mark - This whole extending these three express buses thing has been beaten into the ground....

I like how the BxM18 is in here... It's actually increasing in terms of ridership and it's our baby out of our three express bus routes. I catch the last BxM18 sometimes in the mornings and I've noticed that it is almost completely full now, where as before you'd have a few empty seats. Going home it is also growing a bit. I expect to see that improve as the economy improves.

Do some of the PM runs of the BxM18 still have a light amount of passengers? When I junior in high school I remember coming home and seeing relatively empty BxM18s' heading towards Riverdale.

Do some of the PM runs of the BxM18 still have a light amount of passengers? When I junior in high school I remember coming home and seeing relatively empty BxM18s' heading towards Riverdale.

Only the last two of the night and even those can get a bit crowded at times. The morning runs are quite crowded. Keep in mind that ridership on the BxM18 has continued to increase even with the sluggish economy. Furthermore it seems as if just about all of them come back down as BxM1s or BxM2s, so extending them could mean overcrowding, as well as having to reconfigure the run times on all three routes just to please people in Yonkers who already have MetroNorth and the BxM3. Having overcrowded buses to cater to Yonkers residents makes no sense.

- I get what you were tryna say w/ the Bx8, and it's not the first time I heard/read such a suggestion.... Cotb16 IINM had an old idea that involved the Bx8 shooting across 233rd running up to Woodlawn.... Personally, I think any northward Bx8 extension is all for naught.... Although circuitous, knowing what I know about commuting habits up there, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might be beneficial for the Bx8 in that part of the Bronx - is the route turning off bronxwood at gun hill rd, then along gun hill to WPR, up WPR to 222nd, to go on to end somewhere in the vicinity of the Edenwald projects....

(for further commentary about this, refer to point #2)

Makes sense.

I forgot who's idea that was, but it wasn't mine (about extending the Bxm1 or 2 to getty sq, since it already ends at county line)....

It was either mine or GreatOne2k's.

^Figures...

As for this "east-west" gap, this new Bx25 solves that, and gets around the highway. Usage in Co-Op City is questionable...

Wait. Which Bx25? :huh:

Only the last two of the night and even those can get a bit crowded at times. The morning runs are quite crowded. Keep in mind that ridership on the BxM18 has continued to increase even with the sluggish economy. Furthermore it seems as if just about all of them come back down as BxM1s or BxM2s, so extending them could mean overcrowding, as well as having to reconfigure the run times on all three routes just to please people in Yonkers who already have MetroNorth and the BxM3. Having overcrowded buses to cater to Yonkers residents makes no sense.

I don't see what overcrowding has to do with anything. If ridership in Yonkers is supposedly that low, that wouldn't add crowding to the buses. And in the earlier proposals, we were very clear that this would only apply to buses deadheading to Yonkers anyway.