D train ranks as MTA's dirtiest in Straphangers Campaign survey

Harry

post-5097-0-93126900-1395333707_thumb.jpg
(D) stands for dirty. A Straphangers Campaign “Smutz” survey determined (D) line subway cars to be the dirtiest, advocates said Thursday. Just 17% of cars on the Bronx-Brooklyn route were rated clean during a Straphangers survey conducted between September and December. System wide, only 42% of subway cars checked by the Straphangers were clean, which the group defines as basically dirt free or having light dirt. That’s a 10% drop from the previous survey in 2011, the advocates said. “Transit officials are losing the war against dirty subway cars,” said Jason Chin-Fatt, the Straphangers’ field organizer. The (MTA) blasted the report, calling the methodology flawed and unfair.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-93126900-1395333707_thumb.jpg

Exaggerations. With an OTP rate of around 84%, I don't see how it can be unreliable. It's also not as dirty as people make it out to be. Yes it does stink, but it's thanks to the bums who ride it, not the (MTA).

People.

Exaggerations. With an OTP rate of around 84%, I don't see how it can be unreliable. It's also not as dirty as people make it out to be. Yes it does stink, but it's thanks to the bums who ride it, not the (MTA).

People.

lol... I thought the (MTA) was assisting in addressing the growing homeless problem in the subway system.  In any event, it would certainly help if the (MTA) did more to keep the homeless population in check on the subways because the (D) trains do smell, and I have seen bums camping out on them.  You'd better believe that they leave a mess, as they use the subway cars as their personal apartment.   I would go further and say that the (B) and (D) should have their cars rehabbed.  The lighting on those cars leave a lot to be desired.  With the cold days of winter almost behind us, hopefully that means cleaner cars as well because over the winter, these trains have taken a beating (not just the (D) train cars, but all subway cars in general).

lol... Now that I ride the (D) regularly, I would agree... You can put the (B) up there as well... The (D) is also one of the worst performing in terms of reliability too... Very hit and miss in terms of service.

For someone who rides the (D) Train alot. It's reliability is NOT bad. Its better than some other lines (Not all). Try riding that line during late nights, Most of the times, 2 (D) Trains will show up before an (A) Train decides to come AND on top of that, the 2nd one in a row most times lately during the late nights has been running local to fill in for the (A) . As for the dirty issues I do agree that it's becoming dirty. And they've been running those R68s non stop and I've seen a few running over a day before going OOS alot. But with that said....

For someone who rides the (D) Train alot. It's reliability is NOT bad. Its better than some other lines (Not all). Try riding that line during late nights, Most of the times, 2 (D) Trains will show up before an (A) Train decides to come AND on top of that, the 2nd one in a row most times lately during the late nights has been running local to fill in for the (A) . As for the dirty issues I do agree that it's becoming dirty. And they've been running those R68s non stop and I've seen a few running over a day before going OOS alot. But with that said....

It's probably the time of night that we use the (D) . I use it during the PM rush to head Uptown and then Downtown (non rush) to get to my express bus.  Going uptown, it's hit or miss.  Downtown, 9 times out of 10 I get an (A) train.  I would like to see more (D) train service to be honest because sometimes I have waited almost 30 minutes just to get on a train due to severe overcrowding.  

I doubt any line has more frequent service during most of (better yet, throughout) the night.

The D is one of the coldest trains (especially northbound) and I often have to put on a hat, hood and gloves whenever I board.  And I'm talking the indoor stations!  Do they not have working heat on the D trains ?

LOL Yeah, sometimes they do.

Being a regular of the (D) it doesn't seem that bad (probably because I have been riding it since birth :P)

But true to the straphangers word, it is pretty dirty. Bottles roll around, peanuts and chips stick to the floor and of course just muck.

It will continue to be my favorite train though.

Long live the (D)!

What's most hilarious is that most of these comments can be applied to any other line in the system. I'm actually quite shocked the media didn't target the (A) / (C) this time around. One could have said (C) the entire time and it'd make no difference at all.

Anyhow, one shouldn't expect a system of this size to be in pristine condition, though we'd all like for it to be.

Oh please. No offence intended at all Turbo, but we've already had many complaints of how the (A) is very slow for an express, how the R32s cause a shitload of problems, how the two branches (east of Rockaway Blvd) cause confusion for some passengers, the shorten (A) was ranked worst for four years in a row by the Straphangers Campaign (and probably be ranked worst yet again for this year and the next two years until those R32s are gone for good) etc etc. I think we've been had enough complains about the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town (excluding the (B), (D), (E) and (S) Rock Park Shuttle) already.

Oh please. No offence intended at all Turbo, but we've already had many complaints of how the (A) is very slow for an express, how the R32s cause a shitload of problems, how the two branches (east of Rockaway Blvd) cause confusion for some passengers, the shorten (A) was ranked worst for four years in a row by the Straphangers Campaign (and probably be ranked worst yet again for this year and the next two years until those R32s are gone for good) etc etc. I think we've been had enough complains about the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town (excluding the (B), (D), (E) and (S) Rock Park Shuttle) already.

Well those complaints are well founded... The (A) seems to be better of late from my personal experience but there is always room for improvement.  New cars on that line certainly wouldn't hurt. The cars are a bit brighter than the cars on the (B) and (D) but other than that, nothing else is great.

Straphangers a full of crap, yea the (D) has its problems but to me the dirtest trains I've been on is the (E) and I ride the (E) daily, straphangers are full of it, nothing but political BS

The (A) just needs better service that's all

Well those complaints are well founded... The (A) seems to be better of late from my personal experience but there is always room for improvement.  New cars on that line certainly wouldn't hurt. The cars are a bit brighter than the cars on the (B) and (D) but other than that, nothing else is great.

Yeah, I find the R46s to be relatively faster than the R68s and R68As. I think they should do something about the (A) headway though. Many times I see two (A) trains close to each other, with the first being crowded or the seats all filled up with fewer standees, and the second being almost empty. Then you'll be standing for a good 15 minutes until the same cycle repeats over again. This is from my experiences during middays and weekends.

Archived