R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that they should at least borrow one or two sets from the (4)(5)(2) and upgrade them and put them on the (7) so the (6) doesn't have to suffer.

Dude its been mentioned SEVERAL Times that Kawasaki are doing the conversions , the (2) , (4) and (5) run Bombardier R142s with a very small fleet of R142As on the (4) . The (6) is being touched because it had a Full fleet of R142A's and the same ammount of R142A's as corona did R62A's so it was easier to swap with the (6) and (7). Why is the (6) suffering ? all that's happening is that they are getting the same R62A's that they had from 1988 up till 2003. Westchester are getting the better end of the deal here because Corona TOOK care  of the R62A's while the R142A's weren't maintained as well as they should have been.

Edited by R62AR33

I think that they should at least borrow one or two sets from the (4)(5)(2) and upgrade them and put them on the (7) so the (6) doesn't have to suffer.

What do you mean by "suffering"? There's still going to be a few 142As left on the (6) and the rest of its fleet being 62As. Both the (6) and (7) have enough cars already. There's no need to complicate things further. Simple as that.

Edited by RollOver

I'm pretty sure 7661-7665 are already on the (4)

As for the R142As, Westchester abused them. The MTA should slap Westchester for making the R142A's ten years older than they really are. I ride the (4) and (6) every day and I have never seen an R142A from Jerome look as bad as one from Westchester. At least by the time the R62A's start falling apart they'll be headed into retirement....

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

What are you talking about? On the (4) there are mixed sets of R142's and R142A's. And what I mean by suffer is that it's not fair that the (6) is almost getting downgraded back to R62's just so that the (7) can get upgraded to R188's. Ether the MTA does a new contract for Kawasaki to MAKE R188's, not upgraded existing R142's, or just wait until 34 Street is completed or the CBTC system is ready to go.

What are you talking about? On the (4) there are mixed sets of R142's and R142A's. And what I mean by suffer is that it's not fair that the (6) is almost getting downgraded back to R62's just so that the (7) can get upgraded to R188's. Ether the MTA does a new contract for Kawasaki to MAKE R188's, not upgraded existing R142's, or just wait until 34 Street is completed or the CBTC system is ready to go.

Even if the extension was completed, it would take years for the R188 contract to finish before CBTC can start. And why add more unnecessary R188s when we have the cars needed for now?

Seriously? You want to have this tired debate again?

How is the (6) suffering? If you downgrade the (E) 's back into R32s, how do they suffer (assuming it was 6 years ago)? Service is service, R142As are not any better than the R62As. In fact, (6) service will actually be BETTER once they get their R62As back. Since Westchester knows that they are getting rid of their R142As, they have been abusing them, and soon most will retire before the R62As. If Kawasaki MAKES R188s, the R62As will get trashed and it would be wasting precious money. the (MTA) is short on budget and you want to waste their money? There will still be a few sets of R142As left on the (6) so STOP COMPLAINING!

Edited by MTA Dude

Your not understanding me, But just beccause I want to put this discussion away, I'll keep my mouth shut.

It's not that we (or more specifically I) don't understand, but if a subway car is not struggling to live like the remaining R42s, then there is no need to worry about what line gets what fleet. And even with the R42s, there is nothing we can do about them without the R179s arriving first.

Let's break this down one more time as simple as it can possibly can go...follow along if you can, it aint that hard...

The R188 contract consists of:

-Brand new cars (7811-7899)

-Conversion of the R142A into R188s (7211-7365)

-New C cars to add into the conversion sets to make 11 car trains (7900-7936?)

Following along? Ok good, keep up now...

As it was stated before, Bombardier didn't want to accept the R188 contract because of the small order, so it went to Kawasaki instead. Its cheaper to convert the R142As into R188s compared to building brand new cars from scratch. Other than the CBTC shit, the R188 is LITERALLY an upgraded R142A.

Now here's where things get tricky...

Since the trains already on the (7) are only about halfway through their useful service life, they decided to take ALL the cars from the (7) and move them over (they had to go somewhere) to the (6) since the fleet is all R142As. Since Westchester (the (6)) has a larger fleet than Corona (the (7)), there will still be R142As (cars that WEREN'T converted to R188s) in Westchester, just a minority of the entire (6) fleet.

The R188 order wasn't made to retire any cars, it was just for fleet expansion and CBTC purposes.

No other cars are being touched/moved/upgraded. The (2)(4) or (5) have nothing to do with any of this

...now stop asking the same questions over and over