Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait.... I was under the impression that because of the ongoing R160 SMS, the 4 car NTT sets originally assigned to ENY will return and resume service on the BMT Eastern division once the tune ups on these NTT's are done. After all we are seeing R46's back on track on the (C) apparently as of this weekend. There are still a few R32 sets on the (C) .

There are only 200 R32 cars in change left in the system as it is against at least 93 4 car sets of R160's available for the BMT Eastern division IIRC.

Don't see it happening in the long run come towards the end of the year. It seems to be the pattern that rolling stock are assigned to their respective yards according to the car type.

So? It's not like (J) / (M) riders pay a higher fare......

Right? Honestly, (C) riders have been bitching about the old equipment on their line for the past ten-plus years, and if anything they probably have more political clout considering the neighborhoods the (C) runs through. Just comes down to want the TA decides.

So? It's not like (J) / (M) riders pay a higher fare......

Right? Honestly, (C) riders have been bitching about the old equipment on their line for the past ten-plus years, and if anything they probably have more political clout considering the neighborhoods the (C) runs through. Just comes down to want the TA decides.

Well it all goes back to how new rolling stock purchases is paid for by the MTA and New York State by means of fare collection revenue and grants from the higher ups in New Sork State assembly in the state capital who can never seem to pass any budget plan on time.

As it is many straphangers dependant on the subways in itself even today still get shafted because of deferred maintenance with the infrastructure or rolling stock many times. Throughout recent history, ever since the MTA became the public benefits corporation to run this system in 1965 up to recently, with the 2010 budget cuts, slashing services (That to this day was never completely restored even with the recent 18 million granted to the agency for service improvements), fare hikes and so forth. 

Yes it's understandable that the system recently got rocked by a devastating hurricane. I'm looking at the big picture however.

So yes we will have to expect angry customers. It it any of their faults? Regardless of whether they live on the UWS, Bushwick or Jamaica and Richmond Hill? No point faulting the customers who expect decent service. And that would include a cap on repetitive fare hikes, stations in good repair and yes, newer rolling stock. As much as I have a admiration for R32's, excellently built machines for it's time, I mean cmon! Why is the MTA still holding on to the cars after almost 50 years already? 

How can we make all our customers happy? OK. That's something we need to ask first MTA chairman Tom Pendergrast, then our Senate Majority Leader, the Speaker of the Assembly, and the Governor of NYS ultimately.

Edited by realizm

Well it all goes back to how new rolling stock purchases is paid for by the MTA and New York State by means of fare collection revenue and grants from the higher ups in New Sork State assembly in the state capital who can never seem to pass any budget plan on time.

As it is many straphangers dependant on the subways in itself even today still get shafted because of deferred maintenance with the infrastructure or rolling stock many times. Throughout recent history, ever since the MTA became the public benefits corporation to run this system in 1965 up to recently, with the 2010 budget cuts, slashing services (That to this day was never completely restored even with the recent 18 million granted to the agency for service improvements), fare hikes and so forth. 

Yes it's understandable that the system recently got rocked by a devastating hurricane. I'm looking at the big picture however.

So yes we will have to expect angry customers. It it any of their faults? Regardless of whether they live on the UWS, Bushwick or Jamaica and Richmond Hill? No point faulting the customers who expect decent service. And that would include a cap on repetitive fare hikes, stations in good repair and yes, newer rolling stock. As much as I have a admiration for R32's, excellently built machines for it's time, I mean cmon! Why is the MTA still holding on to the cars after almost 50 years already? 

How can we make all our customers happy? OK. That's something we need to ask first MTA chairman Tom Pendergrast, then our Senate Majority Leader, the Speaker of the Assembly, and the Governor of NYS ultimately.

Shit happens... The cars were originally suppose to last until 1999.

Edited by DJ MC

The fact that the R44s having frame issues was considered a bigger problem than some whiny NIMBYs disliking the "depressing interior"?

I am fully aware of that, totally. Let me throw in the fact that not all the R44s suffered that problem (and I am not talking about the SI R44 cars) yet all of them were scrapped regardless. 

I'm talking about financing mishaps caused by the State of New York that inhibits the progress of the MTA and the NYC subway system, not just the usual NIMBY issues regarding construction of say the 86th St entrances on the SAS but now rolling stock as well. I was simply going on a different take on a transit system and how it improves quality of service through better rolling stock.

In the late 1970's and up to the mid 1980's in particular the MTA suffered severe financial woes and one of the areas where it suffered and the customers had to pay the undue price was in it's cars, literally falling apart due to severely deferred maintenance, during that period the MTA was unable to either fix them or properly order new cars and test them in order to successfully retire older cars (such as the R44's in the first place which when introduced in 1971, originally were lemons due to cracked trucks and electrical malfunctions). This was ultimately due to a meltdown in Albany due to incompetent politicians. And today we are held back in terms of NTT's by a decade. I think that can be another way of looking at it.

Edited by realizm

I honestly don't care, but I still think they should do it 50/50 or send the whole fleet to CI for the B, the heatwave took a toll on all subway cars, most were blowing hot air, just the R32s fall victim since they're the oldest, I find it funny how PATCO cars are just about the same age as the R32s and their A/Cs work very good, in 2009 the R32s HVAC units weren't a problem, even from 1988-2008 when all the R32s were on the (C) never a HVAC issue, its management that's screwing up and they need to fix that issue