Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AndrewJC has linked the now updated IND/BMT B Division car assignment sheet by the MTA's former worker Joe Korner in the R46 Fleet Life Extension Program thread. The (C) will be half R32 and half R160A-1, 11 more trains of R46 will be added to the (F) while the rest of it is still R160A/160B, the (J)(Z) will have MUCH more of the older cars (R32 and R42) than the newer cars (R160A-1). In addition, the northern (R) will run 17 trains (using R46) while the southern one will run 11 trains (using R160B).

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2013-08-03.html

Edited by RollOverMyHead

So what was the reason for the R46s on the C last weekend? None this weekend as far as I could tell, I rode two sets of R32s and it felt like nothing'd changed. 

Maybe the (C) had a small shortage and it had borrow some of the R46s ?

No. Most of the R32s were out of service that day due to HVAC issues. There were plenty of spare R46s that backfill for that. At first they had more R160A-1s with a few R32s then most R46s filled in.

Last weekend was the end of a week-long heat wave. It was much cooler this past week, so the R32's have presumably coped much better.

Last weekend was the end of a week-long heat wave. It was much cooler this past week, so the R32's have presumably coped much better.

Yeah, their A/C was working fine too. I was very relieved that we finally got some cool air winter-like weather. I cannot tell you how many times I was sweating bullets in my summer school that doesn't have A/C in most classrooms with just fans.

Well I actually did remember that both Far Rock Depot and CDTA said to me months back in this thread that when the R46s were sent down to operate the (H), they had C/R regardless of the four-car shuttle.

Not that I'm saying that the R32s should operate 24/7 on the IND and BMT (S) shuttles respectively without OPTO if their lives were extended even longer as said.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Actually the MTA was planning to lengthen the (C) train to 10 cars.

In the state of the MTA address by Elliot G. Sander it says "In Brooklyn , congestion pricing will create three new bus routes and increase the frequency of service on four routes. (F) trains will run more frequently, and the (C) train will be extended to a 10-car train from an 8-car train.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Actually the MTA was planning to lengthen the (C) train to 10 cars. In the state of the MTA address by Elliot G. Sander it says "In Brooklyn , congestion pricing will create three new bus routes and increase the frequency of service on four routes. (F) trains will run more frequently, and the (C) train will be extended to a 10-car train from an 8-car train. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Which causes me to think... Maybe the 4-car sets won't be so inflexible after all. It's probably possible to...never mind. I was thinking of rearranging 4-car sets into 5's. But that won't work because they'll be a bunch of leftover A-cars. So, scratch that idea.

But if it gets that serious, the MTA always order some kind of insert 179's to expand the fleet at a later date, like they're doing with the 142/188's; and M8's for that matter.

Edited by m7zanr160s

Actually the MTA was planning to lengthen the (C) train to 10 cars. In the state of the MTA address by Elliot G. Sander it says "In Brooklyn , congestion pricing will create three new bus routes and increase the frequency of service on four routes. (F) trains will run more frequently, and the (C) train will be extended to a 10-car train from an 8-car train. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

EDIT: My bad - I just reread the comment and saw that you definitely wrote "WAS" and not "IS". Apologies.

Sander Resigned as MTA CEO some 4 years ago, and Congestion Pricing was never implemented. I think the address you're referencing is from 2008?

The (F) did in fact received increased frequency, but the C was not switched to 10-car. I don't think we can take that address as evidence that there are current plans to make the C 10 cars. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

EDIT: My bad - I just reread the comment and saw that you definitely wrote "WAS" and not "IS". Apologies.

Sander Resigned as MTA CEO some 4 years ago, and Congestion Pricing was never implemented. I think the address you're referencing is from 2008?

The (F) did in fact received increased frequency, but the C was not switched to 10-car. I don't think we can take that address as evidence that there are current plans to make the C 10 cars. 

I never said they are currently planning to. I was trying to say it was proposed then.