What Happened to MTA Long Island Bus?

TheNewYorkElevated

I'm getting some results... But how did it exactly become NICE? 

The (MTA) desided to cut or eliminate over half of the Nassau routes because Nassau wouldn't pay money for the routes, the biggest effect being south of Hempstead Turnpike and east of Meadowbrook State Parkway having all routes lost (except the N71). The Nassau county didn't want more routes lost or more money spent, so they hired Veolia and NICE was born.

In the past, the MTA helped subsidize the operation of Long Island Bus. Nassau County paid around $9 million dollars a year to help run LIB, but the MTA wanted Nassau to pay a lot more than that; they wanted Nassau to contribute $26 million a year. Nassau County refused, arguing that the MTA was wasteful and inefficient in running LIB. Because Nassau wouldn't increase their contribution, the MTA stopped operating Long Island Bus at the end of 2011. On January 1, 2012, a private company named Veolia began operating Nassau's buses instead, renaming the system NICE (Nassau County Inter-Express). They have made a lot of service changes since then. 

For what it's worth, Nassau doesn't contribute much to the operation of its bus system compared to other counties. It paid $9 million a year in 2011 to the MTA, and now I believe it pays even less money to Veolia. Westchester and Suffolk pay over $20 million a year toward the operation of their bus systems, so Nassau does look a little stingy in comparison. 

In the past, the MTA helped subsidize the operation of Long Island Bus.

That was the biggest part of the problem — the contractor was subsidizing the client, and the client forgot that it was the client.  The contractor finally said "No" and the client found a new contractor.

Nice is a total disgrace!!!! I HATE them. The MTA needs to return to Nassau county ASAP!!!!

The (MTA) will not voluntarily go back to subsidizing the County. You'll keep standing on that corner, you'll accept whatever service the County feels like paying for, and you'll like it.

:)

When they elect a new county executive they could decide to not renew the contract with Veolia Transdev and try to get the MTA back.

Did you know that the Vice Chairman of the Nassau County Bus Transit Committee is ALSO the Vice President of All Island Transportation?! 

When Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano made his appointments he thought it would be appropriate to place Lawrence W. Blessinger, Jr. on the committee yet he did NOT see fit to appoint a bus rider or rider advocate. This is not only a conflict of interest but a blatant denial of bus riders right to equal representation!
5 members Nassau County Bus Transit Commitee is responsible is for NICE Bus Service.

The YOU-KNOW-WHAT is demanding that Nassau County amend their contract with Veolia, NICE Bus operator, to include language that would require a bus rider or rider advocate to sit on the board with equal voting power. SO! We are calling on the community, both bus riders and non-riders, to come and join us on September 22nd in the Nassau County Legislature (1550 Franklin Avenue, Garden City 11501) at 1PM to call upon the Nassau County Legislature to stand with bus riders and give us the equal representation that is our right!

Bus riders are tired of a "NICE" Bus system, we want a JUST bus system!

To repeat, the (MTA) will not voluntarily go back to subsidizing Nassau County.  No contractor would ever accept a demand to subsidize its client.

Why does Nassau County want the MTA or Veolia to subsidize their bus system?

NICE donated a decent chunk of change to the NY Republican party campaign funds a few years ago when the change happened (and probably still are, I haven't looked at 2013 and 2014 cycles), so they're getting that contract renewed perpetually as long as Mangano is in charge.

Nice is a total disgrace!!!! I HATE them. The MTA needs to return to Nassau county ASAP!!!!

Boo hoo read Gotham's post he beat me to it.

That was the biggest part of the problem — the contractor was subsidizing the client, and the client forgot that it was the client.  The contractor finally said "No" and the client found a new contractor.

The (MTA) will not voluntarily go back to subsidizing the County. You'll keep standing on that corner, you'll accept whatever service the County feels like paying for, and you'll like it.

:)

I can only clap for this post sorry no words can be a good enough complement.

NICE sucks.

Again really? How many times is this now 100 I lost count how many times you said this

Archived