select Bus Service Coming to 86th Street

jolusoji

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is moving to bring Select Bus Service to one of the busiest routes in Manhattan.

Sources tell NY1 the agency wants the service on the 86th Street crosstown line in mid-2015—although a spokesman tells us it's still early in the process.

SBS aims to cut down on travel times, offering fewer stops and the chance to pre-pay your fare.

Right now there are seven SBS lines in the city, and the MTA plans to bring in several more.http://www.ny1.com/content/news/217247/sources--select-bus-service-coming-to-86th-street/

Not sure what to think about this

That 86 gets slammed in both directions, especially at Lex where it gets the load.

This was in the drawing boards for a while and it's ahead of the 14th Street Corridor as laid out.

388a807ca254f92a0f553b44fb9981bc.png

That list still makes me wonder why Hillside never got off the ground, or was never even talked about.

The M86 will probably get the same treatment as the M34; not much in terms of stop reduction, but off-board payments, possibly traffic priority, and in the future bus bulbs.

That list still makes me wonder why Hillside never got off the ground, or was never even talked about.

The M86 will probably get the same treatment as the M34; not much in terms of stop reduction, but off-board payments, possibly traffic priority, and in the future bus bulbs.

I wonder the same thing....I want to say NIMBYs, but folks past Springfield have been harping for a long time for better bus service.

They speed right through the park, don't see how it's needed honestly.

That's not the issue. Loading times at many stops are crazy as tons of people all file up the front steps, quickening that would be a if difference. Same goes for the M14, though.

For M86, eastbound bus gets long line especially by Broadway, Central Park West, Lexington Av while westbound gets long line at Lex Av.

For M79, eastbound bus gets long line at Broadway, Central Park West while westbound bus gets long line at 5th Av.

M66 eastbound gets long line at Amsterdam Av, Broadway, Columbus Av, Central Park West while westbound gets long line at 1st, 3rd, Lex Avs.

M96/M106 eastbound gets long line at Broadway, Central Park West, Lex Av (M96) while westbound is at 3rd, Lex, Mad, 5th Av.

They speed right through the park, don't see how it's needed honestly.

The M86 is extremely busy in both directions. Lexington Avenue, for example, gets rammed with an onslaught of boarding and departing passengers. The overcrowding throughout the line is one big reason why you tend to see consistent bunching throughout the day.

But what will the MTA do with their East End Avenue branch (which supplements passengers to the hospital)?

The M86 is extremely busy in both directions. Lexington Avenue, for example, gets rammed with an onslaught of boarding and departing passengers. The overcrowding throughout the line is one big reason why you tend to see consistent bunching throughout the day.

But what will the MTA do with their East End Avenue branch (which supplements passengers to the hospital)?

Well, that branches only has 2 eastbound and 1 eastbound bus per weekday (all in the AM rush). Either they will make a short-turn, or just eliminate it completely.

They should make a BX1SBS because I am tired of waiting at 149 Street-Grand Concourse for a bus to come and looking around the corner for BX2 to come and tons of people to get on.

Well, If it weren't for the (B) and (D) on the Concourse and the nearby (4) on Jerome Avenue, it could work. The main reason SBS exists in the first place is because SBS IS A LOT CHEEPER than creating a subway line from scratch.

Well, If it weren't for the (B) and (D) on the Concourse and the nearby (4) on Jerome Avenue, it could work. The main reason SBS exists in the first place is because SBS IS A LOT CHEEPER than creating a subway line from scratch.

True, but imagine the M96 was a SBS.

True, but imagine the M96 was a SBS.

Keep in mind that not EVERY crosstown needs SBS. Only major routes need SBS. The M14 ,M34, and M86 make sense b/c they have artics, run slow routes, have high ridership, and get crowded easily.

I'm not just saying it to you, I'm saying it to everyone on the forums.

Archived