Which is the Best Express?

ConcourseExp

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the express lines only save like five minutes anyways. Most of the time you save on the express is psychological.

When transfers are necessary (which is for most passengers), I think the time adds up. Delays become magnified with each additional transfer, so those 5 minutes saved could potentially be 15. I ran downstairs for a downtown train at 34 Street–Penn Station and ended up catching an (E) because the (A) required me to use the crossunder. That extra stop cost me a transfer to the (D) at West 4 Street–Washington Square which I saw leaving the station by the time I made it down the stairs. The next one came 12 minutes later.

The true benefit of the express services is that they add capacity along existing lines for cheaper than building a new line under a nearby lane.

The best expresses are the IRT lines, Queens Blvd, and Brighton Express.

I agree with everything you said, but the Queens Blvd express (E)(F) is horrible. During rush hours is one thing, but the frequency between the two lines is like waiting for a (2) at East 180 Street at late night.

I agree with everything you said, but the Queens Blvd express (E)(F) is horrible. During rush hours is one thing, but the frequency between the two lines is like waiting for a (2) at East 180 Street at late night.

Not really.. Outside of Rush hours and except for weekends, the frequency between the two lines are great. The (E) comes every 6-8 minutes or so and so does the (F). Unless your talking about a delay on the QBL or late night frequencies when all trains run at 20 minute interval.

Well Lemme chime in on this great topic...seen some great posts by the way so thas wassup!!!

I like the <5> Hands down..I live on white plains rd@ 225 St ...Work on the eastside @ 59/Madison..

mon-fri 9 to 5...Its a great express minus the crapshoot evry day between Jackson-125(SB) but gives me more nap time lol.But even in the peak rush from 42-125 Especially southbound they book it up/down Lex...Comin home isnt always a one seat ride becuase the afternoon 5s to 238 Seem to come at will ..2 back to back then all dyre for 20+ minutes..But when they do come 90% of the time they go express 180-gun hill rd...thats only 7 stops from 59 st goin uptown!!! Gotta Love The <5>...#BringBackTheDiamond5  

Well Lemme chime in on this great topic...seen some great posts by the way so thas wassup!!!

I like the <5> Hands down..I live on white plains rd@ 225 St ...Work on the eastside @ 59/Madison..

mon-fri 9 to 5...Its a great express minus the crapshoot evry day between Jackson-125(SB) but gives me more nap time lol.But even in the peak rush from 42-125 Especially southbound they book it up/down Lex...Comin home isnt always a one seat ride becuase the afternoon 5s to 238 Seem to come at will ..2 back to back then all dyre for 20+ minutes..But when they do come 90% of the time they go express 180-gun hill rd...thats only 7 stops from 59 st goin uptown!!! Gotta Love The <5>...#BringBackTheDiamond5  

Well.. the <5> is still the same as the regular (5) they just changed the logo. But yeah I love the (5) train. Aside from being my home route it's easily one of my favorite lines.

Well.. the <5> is still the same as the regular (5) they just changed the logo. But yeah I love the (5) train. Aside from being my home route it's easily one of my favorite lines.

Well if thats the case here we go... 1. Why the<A> To Rock Pk???? 2.It is two physically seprate routes North of 180th(5) Dyre Ave AND <5> Nereid-238.....So why not make it easier on the people by knowing Immeadiately which line it is....as it used to be before they pulled it...

Well if thats the case here we go... 1. Why the<A> To Rock Pk???? 2.It is two physically seprate routes North of 180th(5) Dyre Ave AND <5> Nereid-238.....So why not make it easier on the people by knowing Immeadiately which line it is....as it used to be before they pulled it...

1. It provides service to Rockaway park riders who wand direct service to Manhattan.

2.I wish they never took away the <5> label, but even with the reshape, I'm pretty sure tourists going north of 180 Street would be confused of their label.

I remember this one time my middle school teacher was using the (5) to go to Burke Avenue, but he mistook the (5) for the original <5> and I had to help him transfer to the (2) in order to be on time on our field trip.

IDK how, but I agree and disagree with you.

Uh unless there's workers out on the tracks Queens blvd express moves.. What time of the day you ride it?

It would cost money to change all the signs to <A>. Plus, they would need new rollsigns on the R46s to accommodate that.

Back before the countdown clocks were created, it was definitely more beneficial to have the <5> bullet, but now with the countdown clocks, it's pretty easy to tell whether the train is going to Nereid or Eastchester.

The MTA used to use diamonds to designate rush hour services (ie. <C>, <R>, I believe they used to use a <B> too) but they got rid of the diamonds about 10 years ago. Now, it's only used to designate express services

Edit: Here is an old map with the diamonds

http://web.archive.org/web/20040326024754/http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

It would cost money to change all the signs to <A>. Plus, they would need new rollsigns on the R46s to accommodate that.

Back before the countdown clocks were created, it was definitely more beneficial to have the <5> bullet, but now with the countdown clocks, it's pretty easy to tell whether the train is going to Nereid or Eastchester.

The MTA used to use diamonds to designate rush hour services (ie. <C>, <R>, I believe they used to use a <B> too) but they got rid of the diamonds about 10 years ago. Now, it's only used to designate express services

http://web.archive.org/web/20040326024754/http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Looking at that thing reminds me of how awful those bus route boxes were...

You probably caught it in the aftermath of a sick passenger/12-9/random investigation/track inspection. Those lines are quite frequent during the midday with intervals of 2-5 minutes. How is that a bad thing?

You also have to remember this. When the diamond routes came about in '79, they were only used for rush-hour routes, like the N to Whitehall St or the R to Chambers St/Centre St. Those rush-hour A trips to Rockaway Park fit that criteria. However, when the rules regarding diamond services changed in 2005 to simplify services, the Rockaway Park A no longer qualified for such a designation since diamond services now mean an express variant to a local service that is running at the same time.

By the way, I do not miss those bus bubbles on the map.

Ok I can agree with ya guys on the whole diamond ur not theory...But I Just feel like The diamonds add a bit of pizzazz to the services...

But i do have to agree with the fact that with the arrival of countdown clocks its day n nite...Matta fact I rode the D Up to 125 earlier this

evening around 530pm.. and had to wait for the A up to 181..I felt lost for a few minutes...so used to bein on my IRT lines lol...I hope  MTA 

rolls out the clocks in manhattan at least on the lettered lines this year....

P.S For those who have made comments regarding the way I type on this forum Listen up...This isnt a college final exam aight! this is a group of individuals including myself who share an enthusiasm for trains and the like...I havent been flagged by the moderator for anything I post on here...So spare me....Peace N love B-)

P.S For those who have made comments regarding the way I type on this forum Listen up...This isnt a college final exam aight! this is a group of individuals including myself who share an enthusiasm for trains and the like...I havent been flagged by the moderator for anything I post on here...So spare me....Peace N love B-)

As long as you feel in your mind that you're not destroying your own ability to write…

Some members may have a difficult time deciphering things you write and may make a remark about it, but ultimately, it's your responsibility to keep your skills sharp. I personally avoid dropping to the laziest method of expressing myself in writing out of fear of turning it into a habit. Habits are hard to kick, and you may find it sneaking into places that they shouldn't be in.

Archived