MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and they were #8925-9074. Hence why several depots got pieces such as Jamaica with #9051, #9053-9056, #9065 and #9070-9073 along with their original order of #8939-8978. Other depots such as Flatbush, Manhattanville, Ulmer Park and 126th St received pieces too.

Edited by The TransitMan

Just as it figures; they're getting rid  of 99's faster than the [remaining handful of] 96's.

Like were those completely GOH'ed (like the old 7000 RTS rebuilds) or something, where they're holding onto them so desperately as if they were new buses? (I know there was a plan to rebuild them, but I never heard of them doing it).

7 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Just as it figures; they're getting rid  of 99's faster than the [remaining handful of] 96's.

Like were those completely GOH'ed (like the old 7000 RTS rebuilds) or something, where they're holding onto them so desperately as if they were new buses? (I know there was a plan to rebuild them, but I never heard of them doing it).

At this point, there really isn't much difference between a 22-year-old bus and a 19-year-old bus.  If those remaining '96 buses are reliable and in decent condition, might as well retire the worst of the '99's first.  

3 hours ago, Eric B said:

Roughly 160 buses did go through a fairly extensive rehab program a few years ago to revitalize key components. Only bulkheads and lifts could really kill those post-Program buses, which is why so many are still around today. Not as serious as the 7000s, of course, but notable.

22 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

At this point, there really isn't much difference between a 22-year-old bus and a 19-year-old bus.  If those remaining '96 buses are reliable and in decent condition, might as well retire the worst of the '99's first.  

I know, but when the 97's came out, I loved the new lighting scheme, and things continued to get better through the 99's (new LED signs, padded seats, etc). (And you had the Orion V counterpart of these, the 6000's, which I heard were in particularly bad condition). The 96's interiors are nearly identical to the original RTS's of the 80's (but without the Detroit two strokes).

So I had looked to see the '97-99's spread out more (like to MTAB), but it seemed NYCT held on to them, passed down only the 96's, and then quickly began scrapping them. (I know there were a few instances of them sending a few to LGA, but they were always brought back).
Nearly the same thing occurred with the '94's (with their unique lighting. Thought MTAB still had their nearly identical former PBL '94's).

19 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Roughly 160 buses did go through a fairly extensive rehab program a few years ago to revitalize key components. Only bulkheads and lifts could really kill those post-Program buses, which is why so many are still around today. Not as serious as the 7000s, of course, but notable.

Wonder why they didn't look forward and reha the 97's to 99's instead (especially if they had problems like wheelchair lifts).

On 6/20/2018 at 2:03 PM, MegaBlueJayy said:

It was one of the units that were used at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta Georgia in 1996 

The fleet used for the Olympics, specifically, was 8924-9073. 

As for the 1996 Novas, is that less than 10 now active?

Edited by aemoreira81

That's correct and the incident happened today on an afternoon. Repair: not from what I know. There was 4975 that was affected with that problem which ended up to retirement. 

Edited by Calvin