R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So I just happened to have came across this on DJ Hammer's Discord server, a close up of the R211A. Unfortunately, the quality isn't as clear as I hoped it would be but I can't argue. There's also an instagram post of it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfUsshHZKt/?igshid=hhxuuwdcnki5

The photo is clearer on Instagram, but the sign over the door is still unclear. What I find interesting is that the route sign display mimics the look of the route roll signs on the R40 through R68A cars by displaying the route bullet surrounded by a square. It’s probably a square screen, but there seems to be some additional space below the route display in the window. 

Oh, and definitely looking to seeing the pilot R211 train sometime soon this new year. Riding it at some point later this year would be even better, but let’s see how the testing goes first, of course.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Thats an real train. A mockup wouldn't have a coupler and the little step T/O use to climb from the roadbed onto the train. 

its more like the real thing but in japan, it's to show (MTA) how the train is built and etc. more like a real prototype, the Real set is already built in Nebraska.

9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The photo is clearer on Instagram, but the sign over the door is still unclear. What I find interesting is that the route sign display mimics the look of the route roll signs on the R40 through R68A cars by displaying the route bullet surrounded by a square. It’s probably a square screen, but there seems to be some additional space below the route display in the window. 

Oh, and definitely looking to seeing the pilot R211 train sometime soon this new year. Riding it at some point later this year would be even better, but let’s see how the testing goes first, of course.

Yeah it does look to be an LED screen, although I was expecting the route bullet display to be a bit bigger. I do also hope the destination display on top is readable, too. 

16 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Yeah it does look to be an LED screen, although I was expecting the route bullet display to be a bit bigger. I do also hope the destination display on top is readable, too. 

It looks like there’s considerably more space for a larger display below what’s there. Maybe they might install a larger screen. 

Found this on subchat about a new feature the R211s will have..

"CSP" or civil speed protection is another untalked about new secret feature which would be identical to the digital grade timer replacement that Toronto implemented using odometer with static beacons and a permanent database of speed restrictions instead of trip cock grade timers and track circuits.

I wonder how much problems this will cause in the early stages of the R211 order. I predict lots of bucking due to the train enforcing speed limits and a lot of BIE's (I think the latter will eventually die down) . 

Just want to say I'm not by any means a rail industry professional, just a railfan making some guesses. If anybody got more info on the feature about and can share, please do.

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Found this on subchat about a new feature the R211s will have..

I wonder how much problems this will cause in the early stages of the R211 order. I predict lots of bucking due to the train enforcing speed limits and a lot of BIE's (I think the latter will eventually die down) . 

Just want to say I'm not by any means a rail industry professional, just a railfan making some guesses. If anybody got more info on the feature about and can share, please do.

Isn't this what training is for? I would imagine you'd get a warning first (though I'm sure most T/O's know the road like the back of their hands). If you've ridden along the Northeast Corridor outside sections operated by the MTA, you've already experienced it.

Edited by LTA1992

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, brakethrow said:

What an ugly train.. Possible propulsion doesn't sound appealing either. Is the power handle going to be in the middle or is there still a lack of consideration for the t/o's?

Wait until they start testing on the tracks, then you will see how “ugly” they are when they come with all these brand new specs. 

On a side note, I’m looking forward to the first ever articulated R211T train. There are (3) things:

(1) the car lengths: how many cars will be coupled to make an artic

(2) where are the middle wheels positioned at. Will they have one or 2 chock ones 

(3) What line will it be tested on. 

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

On a side note, I’m looking forward to the first ever articulated R211T train. There are (3) things:

(1) the car lengths: how many cars will be coupled to make an artic

(2) where are the middle wheels positioned at. Will they have one or 2 chock ones 

(3) What line will it be tested on. 

First off, these are not articulated cars. Just open gangways. They still sit on independent trucks.

1) The dimensions should remain the same. Five cars to a set, two sets making a train as usual.

2) These are not articulated cars. 

3) Part of me expects the (E) and/or (F) but my gut says we might get blindsided with the (A) and/or (C) for two reasons:

A) Queens Boulevard would already be benefitting from CBTC

B) The capacity limitations of the Cranberry Tubes means Eighth Avenue-Fulton services would reap the most benefit from open gangway trains.

Edited by LTA1992

On 1/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, LTA1992 said:

First off, these are not articulated cars. Just open gangways. They still sit on independent trucks.

1) The dimensions should remain the same. Five cars to a set, two sets making a train as usual.

2) These are not articulated cars. 

3) Part of me expects the (E) and/or (F) but my gut says we might get blindsided with the (A) and/or (C) for two reasons:

A) Queens Boulevard would already be benefitting from CBTC

B) The capacity limitations of the Cranberry Tubes means Eighth Avenue-Fulton services would reap the most benefit from open gangway trains.

I think the (A)(E)  and (F) would get these cars. I also think the (D) should get these as well since it's ridership is very high.

I could see the (C) being a mixture of 10 car R179's and standard R211's.

Edited by R32 3838

30 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I think the (A)(E)  and (F) would get these cars. I also think the (D) should get these as well since it's ridership is very high.

I could see the (C) being a mixture of 10 car R179's and standard R211's.

As much as I really wish and love for (D) trains to get some new cars, at least anything other than an R68 (and R68A which does happen once in a while), I highly doubt that they would be getting any new cars unless 6th Av is getting CBTC right after 8th Av. Although, I have no idea which is going to happen next now since the (MTA) keeps on changing their minds on what should be next for CBTC. Chances of (D) trains getting new cars a very low, even lower than if the (J) and (Z) get some, hell lower than the (M). Even if (D) trains were to get those new cars, they still would have pretty bad service frequencies *looks at Dekalb Interlock*. Something needs to be done about that interlock sooner or later, whether the (MTA) saw Van's plan and decides to go for that, or just deinterlines Dekalb with leaving (R) trains to Bay Ridge. Regardless, either options are pretty cheap and would be easy to implement rather than just straight up redesigning an interlock as well as a station if needed. 

I don't disagree with you about the part of the (C) being mix of 10 car R179's and standard R211's. I could likely see that happening with (A) trains either being a mix of R211A's and R211T's or just R211T's. I still feel sending new trains to the (E) and (F) would feel a little bit of a waste even if T/O's would have to be trained to operate the new cars and them running on every line anyways. Then again, it's just my opinion and that isn't going to change anything.

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

As much as I really wish and love for (D) trains to get some new cars, at least anything other than an R68 (and R68A which does happen once in a while), I highly doubt that they would be getting any new cars unless 6th Av is getting CBTC right after 8th Av. Although, I have no idea which is going to happen next now since the (MTA) keeps on changing their minds on what should be next for CBTC. Chances of (D) trains getting new cars a very low, even lower than if the (J) and (Z) get some, hell lower than the (M). Even if (D) trains were to get those new cars, they still would have pretty bad service frequencies *looks at Dekalb Interlock*. Something needs to be done about that interlock sooner or later, whether the (MTA) saw Van's plan and decides to go for that, or just deinterlines Dekalb with leaving (R) trains to Bay Ridge. Regardless, either options are pretty cheap and would be easy to implement rather than just straight up redesigning an interlock as well as a station if needed. 

I don't disagree with you about the part of the (C) being mix of 10 car R179's and standard R211's. I could likely see that happening with (A) trains either being a mix of R211A's and R211T's or just R211T's. I still feel sending new trains to the (E) and (F) would feel a little bit of a waste even if T/O's would have to be trained to operate the new cars and them running on every line anyways. Then again, it's just my opinion and that isn't going to change anything.

58 inch doors and open gangway

Why wouldn't they put those cars on the (E)(F) which has the highest ridership in the system. That wouldn't be a waste because of the (E)(F) and the fact these cars will have CBTC installed.

The siemens are gonna be moved out of Jamaica anyway as well as a decent chunk of R160's.

Jamaica Will get the option order if they don't get the Base order, Option order cars wouldn't start coming in until 2023-2024 which by then some of the r160's would move back to coney.

Base Order cars might go to Coney and pitkin or Just pitkin with the 20 open gangway cars being at Jamaica for testing.

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

58 inch doors and open gangway

Why wouldn't they put those cars on the (E)(F) which has the highest ridership in the system. That wouldn't be a waste because of the (E)(F) and the fact these cars will have CBTC installed.

The siemens are gonna be moved out of Jamaica anyway as well as a decent chunk of R160's.

Jamaica Will get the option order if they don't get the Base order, Option order cars wouldn't start coming in until 2023-2024 which by then some of the r160's would move back to coney.

Base Order cars might go to Coney and pitkin or Just pitkin with the 20 open gangway cars being at Jamaica for testing.

I don’t get why the Siemens have to leave. I thought they were better suited for underground so wouldn’t it make better sense for more Alstom R160s to go to C.I since they already have some there. It would just avoid all this extra moving around. This way as an R211 set goes to Jamaica, an R160A can go to C.I and bump an R46 to scrap. There would be no need for C.I to give Jamaica anything back. It would be a different story if C.I still had their R160B Siemens. 

18 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t get why the Siemens have to leave. I thought they were better suited for underground so wouldn’t it make better sense for more Alstom R160s to go to C.I since they already have some there. It would just avoid all this extra moving around. This way as an R211 set goes to Jamaica, an R160A can go to C.I and bump an R46 to scrap. There would be no need for C.I to give Jamaica anything back. It would be a different story if C.I still had their R160B Siemens. 

Jamaica would lose the Siemens, The R211's will have Alstom but its much different than the onix propulsion. Siemens is one group, Who to say they can go somewhere else (207th street perhaps)

those 98/9900's are going back to Jamaica anyway in the future since Jamaica still has 9803-32,9923-9942.

wouldn't make sense for Jamaica to have subway cars with 3 different propulsion systems, It has a very large fleet. ENY can handle it since they have a smaller amount vs. Jamaica which has over 1,000 cars.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, Vulturious said:

6th Avenue will have to go CBTC once 8th Avenue CBTC is complete. What will happen to B/D service if both lines continue to use r68's after 8th Avenue CBTC is done and there is an issue on 6th Avenue?? 

this confirms that the numbers will be 4060-4499 for the base order R211A cars. I was Kinda right on the numbers but off by almost 100. makes me think the staten island cars are 3985-4059.

Hopefully Pitkin gets these first, Atleast the first 150, the rest could go to ether CI or Jamaica.

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

6th Avenue will have to go CBTC once 8th Avenue CBTC is complete. What will happen to B/D service if both lines continue to use r68's after 8th Avenue CBTC is done and there is an issue on 6th Avenue?? 

6th ave is off the table for now.

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

4060-4064 under construction:

Great to know. Always good to see more pictures of the trains. Bet there will plenty when the first train gets here in April.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

this confirms that the numbers will be 4060-4499 for the base order R211A cars. I was Kinda right on the numbers but off by almost 100. makes me think the staten island cars are 3985-4059.

Hopefully Pitkin gets these first, Atleast the first 150, the rest could go to ether CI or Jamaica.

Wherever they go, they will be very much needed. 

3 hours ago, elantra06 said:

As of now Kawaski is on schedule to deliver a 10 car test train (R211A) onto NYCT property in April. I'm glad the master controller is back centered in the middle. 5 car unit in the Nebraska plant is near complete assembly.

For a minute, I thought the master control was set on the left side (given that I’m a lefty IRL, this would’ve been nice if I ever chose to be a T/O). But keeping it in the middle makes more sense. Now on the overall cab itself, it looks really nice, with the 2 screens (CBTC monitor). Also heard there’s a security camera in the cab but IDRK for sure. It’d be nice to catch foamers who like breaking the law, but I’m not sure how T/O’s would feel about it. 

Now on the overall design on the rest of the train, the FIND is a huge visual upgrade over that of the 160’s. The LED screen on the side of the Exterior looks a bit weird IMO given the large size of the text. I wonder how/if it’ll be used to describe reroutes/G.O.’s. The face of the train is kinda interesting as well. Reminds me of the facial designs of the Tube and that other train running on the Orange Line? over at the MBTA.