R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Back to the R211 topic

I do think this order will be reduced to just 1,100 cars, that would be a car for car replacement for the R46's and 110 car void the R32's left (being stored in 2020) with a 45 car surplus. while we get a new order later on for the R68 replacements and phase 2 2nd ave subway.

(MTA) might have no choice but to reduce the amount of cars to save money. Phase 2 2nd ave will not be done in 6 years, it's obvious. even if ridership goes back to normal, this wouldn't hurt anything at all. the extra 437 cars of option order 2 were for 2nd ave phase 2 and for the increasing ridership (pre pandemic) as well as service extensions (like the (W) to brooklyn and etc.) Plus the r68's are still fine, had they went with option 2 with no service increases, they would have retired 80% of the r68 fleet.

also CBTC projects are gonna be pushed back like astoria, lexington and etc.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Back to the R211 topic

I do think this order will be reduced to just 1,100 cars, that would be a car for car replacement for the R46's and 110 car void the R32's left (being stored in 2020) with a 45 car surplus. while we get a new order later on for the R68 replacements and phase 2 2nd ave subway.

(MTA) might have no choice but to reduce the amount of cars to save money. Phase 2 2nd ave will not be done in 6 years, it's obvious. even if ridership goes back to normal, this wouldn't hurt anything at all. the extra 437 cars of option order 2 were for 2nd ave phase 2 and for the increasing ridership (pre pandemic) as well as service extensions (like the (W) to brooklyn and etc.) Plus the r68's are still fine, had they went with option 2 with no service increases, they would have retired 80% of the r68 fleet.

also CBTC projects are gonna be pushed back like astoria, lexington and etc.

True. If the order were 1100 cars (220 5 car sets) the order would go like this:

BASE ORDER- 440 cars

(A)- 380 cars to push out all remaining R46's.

(C)- 60 cars. 40 extra alstoms would go to 207th.

OPTION ORDER REPLACEMENT- 360 cars

(G)- 60 cars

(Q)- 300 cars

(N)(W)- Siemens

FLEET EXPANSIONS- 300 cars

(E)(F)- 300 cars. Push out the siemens to C.I and push 40 alstoms to 207th.

My take. Carry on.

@R68ACTrain this applies to your idea.

15 hours ago, Stormxx said:

True. If the order were 1100 cars (220 5 car sets) the order would go like this:

BASE ORDER- 440 cars

(A)- 380 cars to push out all remaining R46's.

(C)- 60 cars. 40 extra alstoms would go to 207th.

OPTION ORDER REPLACEMENT- 360 cars

(G)- 60 cars

(Q)- 300 cars

(N)(W)- Siemens

FLEET EXPANSIONS- 300 cars

(E)(F)- 300 cars. Push out the siemens to C.I and push 40 alstoms to 207th.

My take. Carry on.

@R68ACTrain this applies to your idea.

I see where this is going, but uh, Would you use the 13 R179s on the (A) on the (C) or just have them both get R211s and use the fleet Pitkin/207th shares already?. Plus don't forget about the 32 cars going to ENY.

1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

I see where this is going, but uh, Would you use the 13 R179s on the (A) on the (C) or just have them both get R211s and use the fleet Pitkin/207th shares already?. Plus don't forget about the 32 cars going to ENY.

if we would get the reduced 1100 cars, ENY wouldn't get any of these.

the order would probably be like this if we only got 1100 cars

Base Order: Pitkin

440 cars, 13 R179's sets goes to 207th st to bump off the 8 car R179's to ENY

Option Order

300 cars Coney Island for the (N)(Q)(W)

340 cars Jamaica  (E)(F)(R) (to bump out the 260 siemens back to CI, the remaining 80 R160's to 207th for   (C) service killing the last remaining R46's on the (C) )

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Option Order

340 cars Jamaica  (E)(F)(R) (to bump out the 260 siemens back to CI, the remaining 80 R160's to 207th for   (C) service killing the last remaining R46's on the (C) )

Will those 1100 r211's be delivered before 8th Avenue CBTC becomes active? Cause the A/C won't be able to keep the r46's once 8th Avenue CBTC is active and work is already underway.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

27 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Will those 1100 r211's be delivered before 8th Avenue CBTC becomes active? Cause the A/C won't be able to keep the r46's once 8th Avenue CBTC is active and work is already underway.

We don't know if we getting a 1100 cars, we might still get the whole order or just the base order. I was just speculating a what if type of thing.

besides 8th ave cbtc work might be delayed anyway due to funding. lots of capital projects might be put on hold because funds are running out.

just pray and hope we get funding in the new bill.

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Option Order

SOMEONE ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS WHY I STRESS THIS. THANK YOU.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This is why Pitkin and 207th Street shall get the R211s, and the remaining displaced R160s from Jamaica.

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Option Order

And the 8 4-car sets are definitely going to ENY.

20 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

This is why Pitkin and 207th Street shall get the R211s, and the remaining displaced R160s from Jamaica.

The base order plus the 10 car r179's yes for Pitkin/207.

The E can keep the 2 open gangway trains.

Let's not forget SIR with the r211S's.

As for the option orders, no comments until they are exercised by the MTA.

again this is just speculation on if they would if they reduced the order to 1100 cars. so don't take this seriously. we could still only get the base order or all options could be taken pending funding (if we get it).

37 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

And the 8 4-car sets are definitely going to ENY.

we don't know, this is a what if situation.

If things go they way they are supposed to go and we get all 1,612 cars then those 8 car R179's could go elsewhere (its unknown, they could go to Coney but things could change, I still think they'll go to ENY)

and ENY would get the 32 cars R211's from option order 2.

17 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

again this is just speculation on if they would if they reduced the order to 1100 cars. so don't take this seriously. we could still only get the base order or all options could be taken pending funding (if we get it).

we don't know, this is a what if situation.

If things go they way they are supposed to go and we get all 1,612 cars then those 8 car R179's could go elsewhere (its unknown, they could go to Coney but things could change, I still think they'll go to ENY)

and ENY would get the 32 cars R211's from option order 2.

Yes, I understand. Just hoping for the best.

In the meantime, there might be some promising news:

https://www.amny.com/news/mta-plans-to-pump-6b-into-infrastructure-upgrades-in-2021-as-toll-hike-takes-effect/

32 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

I swear I hope the R211 has the R143/160/188 chime tone, I don't like the 142/A/179 one besides, every train has atleast a A division twin. Like the R179 with the R142A, and now the R211 wit the R188

Yes, let's go with the muffled chime, as opposed to the clear one. What could possibly go wrong?

2 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

I swear I hope the R211 has the R143/160/188 chime tone, I don't like the 142/A/179 one besides, every train has at least a A division twin. Like the R179 with the R142A, and now the R211 wit the R188

It's likely they would go for the 62 chime instead, based on the mockups that were done from when they were advertising the features at 34 Street - Hudson Yards.

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Yes, let's go with the muffled chime, as opposed to the clear one. What could possibly go wrong?

6 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

It's likely they would go for the 62 chime instead, based on the mockups that were done from when they were advertising the features at 34 Street - Hudson Yards.

9 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

I swear I hope the R211 has the R143/160/188 chime tone, I don't like the 142/A/179 one besides, every train has atleast a A division twin. Like the R179 with the R142A, and now the R211 wit the R188

Actually, they already chose one for the mock:

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Well the R142 and R142A chimes aren't as loud as the R160Bs. For some reason the R160As have quieter chimes. And nothing would go wrong, because thats why there is a warning for the closing doors. No matter how the chime sounds.

12 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

R38 numbers to start with. 

When in the order do the SIR care come ? Will they also be link-barred ? Wonder if they will get 3-digit numbers. 

Their R44's ought to be first thing to go. 

They should. And those things will turn 50 this year. And I think its 2022 or 3... But the SIR should be a priority because they're older than the R46, and are in worse shape, 2023 is far away..